GLC (X253) Sim Card

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-13-2020, 05:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLC300
GLC (X253) Sim Card

Hi all,

So if anyone of you are GLC owners (2019 onwards) in Australia you will know the pain with the SIM card not being data enabled for Internet etc. Does anyone know if its a e-sim or physical sim, if its physical does anyone know where its located? Wanted to try swap it out with pre-paid Vodafone SIM card that has voice and data enabled, figured this might get round my issue. (Long shot but worth a try)

If the car has a E-Sim then my workaround is a dead in the water.
If anyone has hack or workaround let me know.
Thanks!
Old 11-14-2020, 04:17 AM

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
2020 GLC 300
I've noticed the issue, but tbh I don't know why I'd want internet in the car? (There are a few features I'd like that use data like sending an sms by voice using MBUX, but they don't work in Australia because of MBUX service limitations, not lack of data).

What is the benefit of internet from the car?
Old 11-14-2020, 09:23 AM

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
2020 GLC 300 4Matic OffRoad
Originally Posted by tGs Wraith
I've noticed the issue, but tbh I don't know why I'd want internet in the car? (There are a few features I'd like that use data like sending an sms by voice using MBUX, but they don't work in Australia because of MBUX service limitations, not lack of data).

What is the benefit of internet from the car?
For MY20, I think these things would need Internet: e.g:
- Ask "Hey Mercedes, what is the weather today"
- Use the mobile app "Mercedes Me" to *remotely* start the car, check the car current location, send an address to the car for navigation, unlock the car...
- OTA update, like the map update

I think it is first 3 yr free in Canada.
Old 11-14-2020, 03:33 PM

2020 GLC 300
Originally Posted by abacnus
For MY20, I think these things would need Internet: e.g:
- Ask "Hey Mercedes, what is the weather today"
- Use the mobile app "Mercedes Me" to *remotely* start the car, check the car current location, send an address to the car for navigation, unlock the car...
- OTA update, like the map update

I think it is first 3 yr free in Canada.
That's kinda what I was getting at. The Australian cars have the latter two (and so clearly the SIM has data).
We don't have "voice cloud services" or "internet in car" (or whatever those features are called) because those are MBUX services that haven’t been enabled for Australia. I can see a use case for the first one, and without it I'm forced to use Google/Siri instead (which is very easy and works well but requires a long press on the voice button on the steering wheel).
Old 11-15-2020, 04:45 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GLC 2020 Coupe
internet use in MBUX

i am having the same dilemma, however more serious for me as ME app is not supported in my country. i found a way to tether my mobile data to the car and i can see that the wifi internet is now connected in the car through MBUX, however, no added value from the whole internet thingy as ME app isnt supported as mentioned. but i really want to know, why if i have internet now through wifi or bluetooth tethering, why i cannot get weather update, or maps trafic information, or system OTA?
i am also facing an issue with the NFC if anyone can help! i remember the dealer told me that i have NFC in the car and that i can share a location from my phone to the MBUX navigation system, however there is no way i can do this although i tried everything possible.

thanks.
Old 11-15-2020, 04:41 PM

GLC300
So couple of things that would find handy is if Data works I can allow the kids to connect with their tablets to the Cars Wifi, apart from that getting MBUX to be able to resound to "What is the weather today" which is the whole point of the platform. Just poor form that this is a legislation issue in Australia. Also do we know if BMW or Audi have the same issue?

It's not a show stopper but when you buy a car you expect everything to work as purchased, no one warned or told me these things wouldn't work.

Old 11-15-2020, 04:44 PM

GLC300
So the ME App (New one just released on Android i noticed this weekend), needs to be connected to your account (Via Mercedes Website) and the profile of the car, once those are synced then some of the features should work. For example can use the app to track the car, use Geofence etc.

You can't teather your phone to the car, i have tried and aksed, not available which again is silly as the car can't use it's on SIM card for Data as it's restricted. Go figure
Old 11-15-2020, 04:46 PM

GLC300
Agreed, i'm using Android Car for those features, then you have the problem that the screen is not fully stretched which looks poor, wish they would fix that. Still though if Merc allowed for phone tethering to allow my Internet through my phone then some of these features would work. Annoying.
Old 11-16-2020, 02:55 AM

2020 GLC 300
Originally Posted by lrdweasel
Agreed, i'm using Android Car for those features, then you have the problem that the screen is not fully stretched which looks poor, wish they would fix that. Still though if Merc allowed for phone tethering to allow my Internet through my phone then some of these features would work. Annoying.
What features though? I haven't seen any use cases for it really. Even if you were able to tether your phone none of the services I care about (that don't work) exist in Australia. Having Telstra 4G instead of whatever data it has now won't make a difference.
Old 11-16-2020, 03:20 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GLC 2020 Coupe
Originally Posted by lrdweasel
i am tethering my data to the MBUX and is connected through Bluetooth tethering. will post a picture of the internet status showing connected in the car. however! even if it shows connected, as mentioned in my previous post, it is useless and i even tried how is the weather today with MBUX it answered back no internet connection although it shows connected.