GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

Has anyone tried "performance tuning" from the dealership?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-21-2020, 11:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLC 300 Coupe 4matic
Cool Has anyone tried "performance tuning" from the dealership?

I noticed my local M-B dealership offers "performance tuning" options which include things like upgrading ECU and enhancing exhaust sound. I was considering both of these and looking at third-party options, but would much rather go with M-B's offerings if they're good. The dealership's website mentions exhaust sound options with names like "earthquake" and "daytona" but I am not sure if they are actually modifying the exhaust system or just tweaking the sound enhancement algorithms that kick in with S and S+ modes. The ECU upgrade also sounds very enticing since that is the first real performance upgrade I was thinking about doing.

Anyone tried any of these offerings from M-B on your GLC? Is it worth it or should I just go for something simple and aftermarket like a resonator delete for the exhaust or third-party ECU chip?

Here is the performance tuning page from my local dealership's website: https://www.mbsd.com/mercesdez-benz-performace-tuning/
Old 12-22-2020, 05:56 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
GLC43
If the ECU is done by the dealer, I would expect it to be covered by the MB warranty.
Old 12-23-2020, 04:37 PM

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
2014 E63S, 2018 GLC 300
I would not expect MB to warrant any ECU tune related failure even if the dealer installed the tune.
Old 12-23-2020, 06:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLC 300 Coupe 4matic
Originally Posted by Sugar_Mouth
I would not expect MB to warrant any ECU tune related failure even if the dealer installed the tune.
That's a scary thought! Surely the dealership would warn me that I'm putting my warranty at risk? Have you experienced or witnessed anything that would make you expect that?

Last edited by Kronodeus; 12-23-2020 at 06:35 PM.
Old 12-23-2020, 06:21 PM

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
2014 E63S, 2018 GLC 300
Originally Posted by Kronodeus
That's a scary thought! Surely the dealership would warn me that I'm putting my warranty? Have you experienced or witnessed anything that would make you expect that?
The terms of your warranty do not get updated by MB because a dealer installs a tune vs any other tuner. The dealer can say "oh don't worry we will take care of you" but I would want that in writing and in detail because I know MB will not be covering it. Count on any ECU flash outside approved MB software to create an issue if your turbo fails from a tune for example.

Anyone who wants to rewrite the ECU or TCU should be ready to cover failure that can be related to the modification.