MICHELINŽ CrossClimateŽ2

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-04-2021, 06:38 PM

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
2014 E63S, 2018 GLC 300
MICHELINŽ CrossClimateŽ2

MICHELINŽ CrossClimateŽ2

Initial impression is the steering is more numb, there is a dead on center feel. At speed they seem as quiet as the stock Pirelli Scorpion Verde. Road imperfections are more pronounced both by feel and sound than the Pirelli Scorpion Verde. The aggressive tread can be felt when rolling to a stop at intersections. So far I have tried three different air pressures with no improvement on the negatives above.

That is my initial impression from a day on these new tires.

Update: Concrete surfaces present a granular feel not present prior. I find all this odd with the positive reviews this tire has. *MICHELIN DEFENDER LTX M/S getting ordered tomorrow.

Last edited by Sugar_Mouth; 03-04-2021 at 10:09 PM.
Old 03-04-2021, 09:51 PM

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts
19 GLC300 4M (lunar blue/black/black ash aluminum),17 GLE350 4M (selenite grey/ espresso/eucalyptus)
Originally Posted by Sugar_Mouth
MICHELINŽ CrossClimateŽ2

Initial impression is the steering is more numb, there is a dead on center feel. At speed they seem as quiet as the stock Pirelli Scorpion Verde. Road imperfections are more pronounced both by feel and sound than the Pirelli Scorpion Verde. The aggressive tread can be felt when rolling to a stop at intersections. So far I have tried three different air pressures with no improvement on the negatives above.

That is my initial impression from a day on these new tires.

Generally, as tires wear they do worse for ride, which means that the ride can only get worse. I also see you have a 2018 model, but the 2020-21 models come with Contis. I am looking to replace soon, comparison would be helpful.

Thanks!
Old 03-04-2021, 10:10 PM

2014 E63S, 2018 GLC 300
Originally Posted by ParjAS
Generally, as tires wear they do worse for ride, which means that the ride can only get worse. I also see you have a 2018 model, but the 2020-21 models come with Contis. I am looking to replace soon, comparison would be helpful.

Thanks!
Update: Concrete surfaces present a granular feel not present prior. I find all this odd with the positive reviews this tire has. *MICHELIN DEFENDER LTX M/S getting ordered tomorrow.
The following users liked this post:
ParjAS (03-05-2021)
Old 03-05-2021, 03:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,828 Likes on 2,557 Posts
2019 C63CS
Surprising, but also not surprising. I've put the CrossClimate2 on my wife's hatchback. As somebody who generally loathes all-season tires, I'm really impressed by them. Sharp steering, very responsive and great handling. With COVID I have not had a chance to experience how they do in the snow. This is our "winter" car, meaning we drive it up north into the mountains a handful of times in the winter, so not worth getting winter tires. These intrigued me because they are one of the few that are actually rated for snow. Really great tire so far and this is coming from somebody who otherwise drives a C63S on summer high performance tires all year, Michelin Pilot Sport 4S at the moment.

Here's the thing, though. The CrossClimate2 is not an SUV tire. My wife's car weighs about half of what the GLC weighs. Michelin has the CrossClimate SUV I believe it's called for heavy vehicles and would probably do better on the GLC.
Old 03-05-2021, 03:58 PM

2014 E63S, 2018 GLC 300
Originally Posted by superswiss
Here's the thing, though. The CrossClimate2 is not an SUV tire. My wife's car weighs about half of what the GLC weighs. Michelin has the CrossClimate SUV I believe it's called for heavy vehicles and would probably do better on the GLC.
The CrossClimate2 has a higher load index than the factory tire does.
Old 03-05-2021, 04:00 PM

2014 E63S, 2018 GLC 300
Replaced this morning with MICHELIN DEFENDER LTX M/S, miles better in regards to NVH.

ParjAS (03-05-2021)
Old 03-05-2021, 04:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
The CrossClimate2 has a higher load index than the factory tire does.
That would be an issue in and of itself. Higher load index means stiffer tire than the vehicle calls for, so naturally that would result in higher NVH. That wasn't my point, though. I was assuming that you are at least running the correct load index. The point is the CrossClimate2 is designed for lighter passengers cars. Yes, you can get it with higher load index, but that just means they added stiffness to it to cope with extra load. That changes the tire's characteristics. The sweat spot and what the CrossClimate2 was designed for are lighter passenger cars. The CrossClimate SUV is from the ground up designed for heavier vehicles, so that is its sweat spot. No matter what, though, you should run the correct load index.

Last edited by superswiss; 03-05-2021 at 04:38 PM.
ParjAS (03-05-2021)
Old 03-05-2021, 05:28 PM

2014 E63S, 2018 GLC 300
Originally Posted by superswiss
That would be an issue in and of itself. Higher load index means stiffer tire than the vehicle calls for, so naturally that would result in higher NVH.
Except the Michelin Defender LTX carries the same load index as the CrossClimate2 and does not have the same negative NVH.

Old 03-05-2021, 05:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Except the Michelin Defender LTX carries the same load index as the CrossClimate2 and does not have the same negative NVH.
The Defender is an SUV tire. It's already designed for high load indexes, so going slightly higher isn't gonna make a big difference. That's a different story for a tire that is generally meant for lighter vehicles.

The Defender LTX M/S is Michelin's Highway All-Season tire developed to combine long tread life with all-season capabilities for vans, pickups and sport utility vehicles
Old 03-05-2021, 09:05 PM

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
Mercedes-Ben GLC300 4Matic
i have had the CrossClimate 2 for a few thousand miles and found them to be excellent. Much quieter than the scorpions at 30k miles for sure, which of course is not the fairest of comparisons. As i drive i find i cant hear them at all.

Old 03-06-2021, 10:21 AM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
2021 GLC 300
Replaced this morning with MICHELIN DEFENDER LTX M/S, miles better in regards to NVH.

I ditched the Pirelli Scorpion run flats on my 2021 GLC 300 the day after I bought it and replaced them with the very same Michelin Defender LTX M/S. A very high rated rated tire with a smooth quiet ride.
Old 03-06-2021, 11:36 AM

2014 E63S, 2018 GLC 300
Originally Posted by cbebmb1
I ditched the Pirelli Scorpion run flats on my 2021 GLC 300 the day after I bought it and replaced them with the very same Michelin Defender LTX M/S. A very high rated rated tire with a smooth quiet ride.
Yes they are better than the factory Pirelli Scorpions and much better than the CrossClimate2 in regards to NVH. I am hoping the numb steering the Pirellis had on canyons is improved with the Defenders. The Pirellis had an odd sidewall roll over at roughly 7/10th which made the steering response fall off, it was an odd trait. The tread life was over half gone on the Pirellis at 11k miles which is consistent with other comments. I am sure the Defenders will provide 50k+.
Old 03-06-2021, 01:06 PM

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts
19 GLC300 4M (lunar blue/black/black ash aluminum),17 GLE350 4M (selenite grey/ espresso/eucalyptus)
Well, the weight of the vehicle most be factored in. TheGLC is heavy, so the pirellis die fast.
Old 03-06-2021, 11:38 PM

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
2017 GLC300, 2020 E450 Wagon
I replaced the original Pirelli Scorpio runflats on my 2017 GLC with CrossClimate SUV (https://www.michelinman.com/tires/cr...imate-suv.html) about a year and a half ago. The ride is much softer and quieter.

There are two things to be aware with these: limited rotation options due to the nature of the tread pattern (you can’t rotate in cross pattern without unmounting tires) and longevity less than warranty mileage on the heavier GLC (the installer advised me to keep up with documented tire rotations in preparation for filing a warranty claim).
Old 05-06-2022, 04:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLC 300 Coupe
Originally Posted by SteadyRover
I replaced the original Pirelli Scorpio runflats on my 2017 GLC with CrossClimate SUV (https://www.michelinman.com/tires/cr...imate-suv.html) about a year and a half ago. The ride is much softer and quieter.

There are two things to be aware with these: limited rotation options due to the nature of the tread pattern (you can’t rotate in cross pattern without unmounting tires) and longevity less than warranty mileage on the heavier GLC (the installer advised me to keep up with documented tire rotations in preparation for filing a warranty claim).
Thank you for putting my mind at ease. I just bought these to trade out my Runflats which i hate to get a softer ride but reading the complaints above makes me skeptical that there is no hope for me and this car unless I get rid of the 20 inch rims and buy all new tires and rims at 18 to get a better quiet and softer ride. I was hoping to get a much improved ride dumping these runflats as I hate the sound and hard bumps that come off the current runflats. I'll just dump the car if this doesn't work and try another one. I had enough.
Old 05-07-2022, 07:57 PM

2014 E63S, 2018 GLC 300
Originally Posted by mgenigma5
Thank you for putting my mind at ease. I just bought these to trade out my Runflats which i hate to get a softer ride but reading the complaints above makes me skeptical that there is no hope for me and this car unless I get rid of the 20 inch rims and buy all new tires and rims at 18 to get a better quiet and softer ride. I was hoping to get a much improved ride dumping these runflats as I hate the sound and hard bumps that come off the current runflats. I'll just dump the car if this doesn't work and try another one. I had enough.
I have shelved the factory 18" and installed a set off of a GLC43, I did not like the anemic look of the 235 tires. Now 255 front, 285 rear. Aside from a very slight increase in road noise in comparison to the 18" Defenders, I am really happy with the factory issues RF Goodyears.
Old 05-10-2022, 02:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLC 300 Coupe
I have shelved the factory 18" and installed a set off of a GLC43, I did not like the anemic look of the 235 tires. Now 255 front, 285 rear. Aside from a very slight increase in road noise in comparison to the 18" Defenders, I am really happy with the factory issues RF Goodyears.
Well if my cross climates work for me, I'll have goodyears to sell! lol if you need spares.