GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

GLC 350e jerking

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-14-2021, 03:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E500
GLC 350e jerking

I have 2017 MB GLC 350e plug-in hybrid, driven approx. 60 000km.

Late last summer, a yellow warning light on the transmission came on the board and the car began to jerk when shifting. I took the car to an authorized MB service center, where the starter engine was found to be defective and replaced. The warning light disappeared but the jerkin continued, but maybe milder.

I then took the car to an another authorised dealer, where the german factory was consulted. It was decided that there was problem in the wet clutch, which then was replaced. The symptoms again eased momentarily until a couple of months later recurred and now the engine warning light appeared on the board.
Back to the dealer, who couldn’t properly say anything other than that the part load breather valve had given a fault code but couldn’t properly associate it with jerking. It was decided to be replaced.

Again, the symptoms eased slightly but still did not completely subside. I don’t know if I’ve become paranoid but I think the car has been smoother to drive in the past. Since the problem started during the warranty period, of course I want it to be fixed.

Problem description:
The car feels a slight jerk from time to time, especially when shifting, but can also occur without a shifting event. Usually a small gas is applied. Often jerking occurs when the combustion engine shuts down or starts, or you drive with the combustion engine and with a light acceleration, the electric motor assists.

I was able to record two jerk events in when using combustion engine and with a small gas depression the electric motor assists. The tachometer jerks up a bit and this is where the jerking is felt. However, the gear does not change at these two events.

Also the shifting feels a bit harsh and not as smooth as before. Especially when gas pedal is slightly applied.

Would anyone have any idea what the issue might be or how it could be investigated further? I booked a new time to the dealer. They remotely read the fault codes, and noted that it had not given any code. I posted the same videos, and the technician had speculated that there might be a full-load breather valve problem.

Thank you very much for all the comments!

Video 1: https://1drv.ms/v/s!AiqIIYQ8w2rAnzFp...xzBSN?e=CSFjnp
Video 2: https://1drv.ms/v/s!AiqIIYQ8w2rAnzDg...UdwCR?e=33pdF9

Last edited by Nitronic; 03-14-2021 at 03:19 PM.
Old 03-15-2021, 09:49 PM

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts
19 GLC300 4M (lunar blue/black/black ash aluminum),17 GLE350 4M (selenite grey/ espresso/eucalyptus)
Originally Posted by Nitronic
I have 2017 MB GLC 350e plug-in hybrid, driven approx. 60 000km.

Late last summer, a yellow warning light on the transmission came on the board and the car began to jerk when shifting. I took the car to an authorized MB service center, where the starter engine was found to be defective and replaced. The warning light disappeared but the jerkin continued, but maybe milder.

I then took the car to an another authorised dealer, where the german factory was consulted. It was decided that there was problem in the wet clutch, which then was replaced. The symptoms again eased momentarily until a couple of months later recurred and now the engine warning light appeared on the board.
Back to the dealer, who couldn’t properly say anything other than that the part load breather valve had given a fault code but couldn’t properly associate it with jerking. It was decided to be replaced.

Again, the symptoms eased slightly but still did not completely subside. I don’t know if I’ve become paranoid but I think the car has been smoother to drive in the past. Since the problem started during the warranty period, of course I want it to be fixed.

Problem description:
The car feels a slight jerk from time to time, especially when shifting, but can also occur without a shifting event. Usually a small gas is applied. Often jerking occurs when the combustion engine shuts down or starts, or you drive with the combustion engine and with a light acceleration, the electric motor assists.

I was able to record two jerk events in when using combustion engine and with a small gas depression the electric motor assists. The tachometer jerks up a bit and this is where the jerking is felt. However, the gear does not change at these two events.

Also the shifting feels a bit harsh and not as smooth as before. Especially when gas pedal is slightly applied.

Would anyone have any idea what the issue might be or how it could be investigated further? I booked a new time to the dealer. They remotely read the fault codes, and noted that it had not given any code. I posted the same videos, and the technician had speculated that there might be a full-load breather valve problem.

Thank you very much for all the comments!

Video 1: https://1drv.ms/v/s!AiqIIYQ8w2rAnzFp...xzBSN?e=CSFjnp
Video 2: https://1drv.ms/v/s!AiqIIYQ8w2rAnzDg...UdwCR?e=33pdF9
Likely due to the DCT