GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

Warped rotors on MB-CPO GLC 300 w/ 23k mi

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-21-2021, 02:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'07 W204 4matic + '14 X204
Warped rotors on MB-CPO GLC 300 w/ 23k mi

Took delivery of a GLC300 w/ 23k mi last Friday...unfortunately I opted to not get behind the wheel when my wife offered to switch mid test drive.

She did not detect brake pulse on day of but I have been driving it last two days and noticed it immediately and it's getting worse. Wheel vibrates significantly when slowing from highway to exit ramp speeds, would be dangerous in icy conditions.

Hope ok to create a new thread here, other brake related threads in GLC 300 forum seem to focus on brake squeal, which is currently not an issue (and hoping it doesn't become one).

It is clearly brake rotor warping - running my fingers across front calipers I can sense some variation across the left front rotor - both rear rotors look ok but car had been sitting and there still some light rust/pitting that's on the outer discs.

Anyone have a similar experience with GLC, have seen other threads reference low mileage warping on GL(x) models. We've had a GLK-350 for 5 years and never an issue with warping, some brake squeal (expected as brakes were wearing thin).

If you have had this repaired/adressed? Any tips on this being covered by either MB CPO program and/or 30 day Massachusetts Lemon Law?

Am taking it back to the dealer that sold it to us this Friday to see what they diagnose and are (or are not) willing to cover. We've driven less than a tank of gas worth of miles - sad to have this be a problem so quickly and concerned it wasn't more obvious when we took delivery.
Old 07-22-2021, 01:35 PM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
2020 GLC 300 4Matic
Seems weird that brake rotors weren’t changed as part of the CPO process. They must have been above 50% left on them and they decided not to change. I had similar issue with rotors on a GLK and they were brand new rotors with 6k miles on them and they fought me for 3 weeks and finally relented because I had a loaner of theirs. I would try and ask nicely to see if they would put new rotors on it as a courtesy gesture. CPO warranty wont cover it and hopefully they will try and make you happy. The rotors probably cost them $300 in total, small sum to make someone happy and to keep coming back for service, which is where they make their money. If you dont get anywhere talk with service manager and then call MB Customer Service and see what can be done, but you will have better luck dealing with the dealer.
Old 07-22-2021, 01:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'07 W204 4matic + '14 X204
Originally Posted by GLK63AMG
Seems weird that brake rotors weren’t changed as part of the CPO process. They must have been above 50% left on them and they decided not to change. I had similar issue with rotors on a GLK and they were brand new rotors with 6k miles on them and they fought me for 3 weeks and finally relented because I had a loaner of theirs. I would try and ask nicely to see if they would put new rotors on it as a courtesy gesture. CPO warranty wont cover it and hopefully they will try and make you happy. The rotors probably cost them $300 in total, small sum to make someone happy and to keep coming back for service, which is where they make their money. If you dont get anywhere talk with service manager and then call MB Customer Service and see what can be done, but you will have better luck dealing with the dealer.
Totally agree - thanks for the suggestions - hoping they agree - my guess is that they never drove it at highway speeds after the last trade in - would have been impossible to miss above 60mph to 30mph decel
Old 07-22-2021, 02:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,605 Likes on 1,181 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
It sounds like you are within the 7 day return period. Go back and notify them that you intend to return the car unless they fix the rotors.
Are you sure it's not just build-up or rusty sections?