GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

Sports Package - ride seems sloppier

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-31-2021, 03:01 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes-Benz GLC300 2019
Sports Package - ride seems sloppier

I'm trying to choose between two GLCs, one (the black car) with the sports package (and AMG wheels and brakes) and one (the blue car) without. The problem is, the ride on the black car seems less taut than the blue car; it seems to lean more in corners and is generally a little sloppiier in handling. Both cars were tested in Sport mode. The dealership tells me that the sports package isn't just wheels and brakes, but there's also a lot of tweaking that goes on in the suspension etc. He suggested I should drive the black car in Sport Plus mode, for full effect, but I would have thought that the sports package should result in tauter, flatter handling, whatever my choice of dynamic setting.

As far as the rest of the car goes, I prefer the black one, but both would be quite fine. I'm coming from driving a 2017 C300, so I wonder how much of the perceived body roll is actually the difference betrween the C300 and the GLC, ie sedan vs SUV.

Thanks,

Nigel
Old 09-02-2021, 10:12 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
GLC
Exclamation

Just returned a leased 2018 GLC300 AMG-line originally equipped with 20" runflat summer tires - wife's car. I know this is MB's most popular vehicle and many people love them, but IMO this is a case of "the emperor has no clothes"!
I have never driven a vehicle with a worse combination of harshness yet bouncy ride! Smooth roads (most highways) are generally fine, but on poorer roads the suspension tuning seems to get everything wrong. Now I admit to not liking SUVs in general, but I have driven some (ie Porsche Macan) that manage to be sporty and smooth at the same time. We lowered tire pressures and even swapped to non-runflats but this never improved the ride to acceptable IMO. They may have fixed this with the recent "refresh", but if you're buying used, stay away from the sport suspension!
Old 09-03-2021, 03:35 AM

GLC 2020 Coupe
Sport package is a nightmare

You're right, sport package is definitely not for everyone. I bought my 2020 glc coupe last year and I was surprised of the harsh and bouncy stupid shock absorbers. If you're anywhere above 20MPH and u hit slightest bump, better to check your teeth fillings as it might jump out of your mouth. Guess what, MB genius engineers say this is normal car characteristics. So if u want an AMG package, just ensure u get the air suspension which makes things a bit better but cost more fortune. IMHO stay away of the glc and go to the GLE or GLA and for sure do more thorough test drive. I regret paying my savings on ****ty car, value to money.
Old 09-09-2021, 01:33 AM

Thanks for the response, GLCDriver. Since writing my original post, I've driven, and now committed to, another GLC300, this one a 2019 that drives much better than either of the two I originally tested. It's flat, smooth and quick, and I'm looking forward to taking delivery next week.And despite the AMG body extras, brake package and wheels, it doesn't have the sports suspension. I wonder if that's got anything to do with it.

Thanks again for your contribution,

NB
Old 09-09-2021, 01:37 AM

Originally Posted by wesram
You're right, sport package is definitely not for everyone. I bought my 2020 glc coupe last year and I was surprised of the harsh and bouncy stupid shock absorbers...Guess what, MB genius engineers say this is normal car characteristics. So if u want an AMG package, just ensure u get the air suspension which makes things a bit better but cost more.
It's really a case of "luck of the draw" in the used market at the moment, but I agree; the MB engineers told me that the car's behaviour was as it was expected to be. If that's the case, I'm glad I didn't buy that one, nice car though it was otherwise. I've since found another one that drives much better, and I followed your advice and chose one that doesn't have the sports package, Hope all turns out OK when I pick it up next week. Thanks again for the advice, NB
Old 09-09-2021, 12:58 PM

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
2023 E450W, 2020 GLC300
I made the mistake of getting the AMG sport suspension package once on an E-Class. It had a very harsh ride and ate tires--chunks were literally worn out of the tread. They couldn't be rotated because of staggered size, and a new set was required at 18,000 miles.
Old 09-09-2021, 06:14 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,440 Likes on 2,079 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
Originally Posted by BobbyT
I made the mistake of getting the AMG sport suspension package once on an E-Class. It had a very harsh ride and ate tires--chunks were literally worn out of the tread. They couldn't be rotated because of staggered size, and a new set was required at 18,000 miles.
​​​​​​​Did you consider getting different tires (softer ones, non-RFT and just get a square setup?)