Cargo net question....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-25-2022, 09:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 176 Likes on 146 Posts
me: 2015 SL400 & 2015 ML400; wife: 2022 GLC Coupe kid: 2017 GLC SUV
Cargo net question....

Okay, I haven't had much opportunity to even be in the car, let alone drive it as it is my wife's daily driver, but she complained about the collapsable storage bin sliding around the back (it's full of stuff). I remebered seeing the cargo net and wrongly assumed it goes in the rear storage area but learned that it actually goes UNDER the rear storage area floor. Even armed with the installation guide (that seems to be in about 50 languages) I couldn't figure out how to intall it or what its purpose is. Anyone have photos of it in use?
Old 04-25-2022, 01:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,833 Likes on 2,560 Posts
2019 C63CS
Not a GLC, but should be similar as in my C63. The cargo net is there to tie stuff down and keep it from sliding around, such as the foldable crate as depicted in my car. I keep my loose items in the crate, tied down with the cargo net, and I can use it to secure other items next to the crate, or store the crate away if I need the entire trunk space and tie down a piece of luggage or something.

For reference here's a picture I found online for a GLC 300 that shows how the net is installed. There are four tie-down rings and you just hook the four corners of the net into them. The two near the rear bench in my car were hiding below the carpet when I took delivery of the car, so I first had to stick them through the slit in the carpet. Took me a while to realize they were hiding under there.

The following users liked this post:
eddieo45 (04-25-2022)
Old 04-25-2022, 01:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by superswiss
Not a GLC, but should be similar as in my C63. The cargo net is there to tie stuff down and keep it from sliding around, such as the foldable crate as depicted in my car. I keep my loose items in the crate, tied down with the cargo net, and I can use it to secure other items next to the crate, or store the crate away if I need the entire trunk space and tie down a piece of luggage or something....For reference here's a picture I found online for a GLC 300 that shows how the net is installed. There are four tie-down rings and you just hook the four corners of the net into them. The two near the rear bench in my car were hiding below the carpet when I took delivery of the car, so I first had to stick them through the slit in the carpet. Took me a while to realize they were hiding under there.
Thanks; I found this YouTube video that I probably should have searched for first. There are no tie-down rings any longer; must've been redesigned. Both the instruction manual and this guy in the video make reference to removing the false floor entirely to install, but it looks to me like it would be possible to slip it on from the rear and pull it toward the front for proper placement....

Old 04-25-2022, 02:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,833 Likes on 2,560 Posts
2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by eddieo45
Thanks; I found this YouTube video that I probably should have searched for first. There are no tie-down rings any longer; must've been redesigned. Both the instruction manual and this guy in the video make reference to removing the false floor entirely to install, but it looks to me like it would be possible to slip it on from the rear and pull it toward the front for proper placement....
Cost cutting at work. That looks kinda flimsy and seems way less practical. I often unhook one corner to easily get something under the net and then tie it back down. That's no longer possible this way. On the other hand, you can still open the false floor with the net installed, where I have to unhook it to get under the floor, but generally I don't keep anything under there. It's where the crate and the net goes if I need to store it away.
The following users liked this post:
eddieo45 (04-25-2022)
Old 04-25-2022, 04:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by superswiss
Cost cutting at work. That looks kinda flimsy and seems way less practical. I often unhook one corner to easily get something under the net and then tie it back down. That's no longer possible this way. On the other hand, you can still open the false floor with the net installed, where I have to unhook it to get under the floor, but generally I don't keep anything under there. It's where the crate and the net goes if I need to store it away.
Agreed; when I couldn't figure out how to install it, I collapsed the bin (it tends to "self-collapse" when I try to pick it up, lol) and stashed it and the contents under the floor, along with the net. I'm sure installing the net would keep the bin from sliding around, but just as well the stuff is under the floor.