GLC300, noise from front wheel when cold and turning

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-02-2022, 12:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
X253
GLC300, noise from front wheel when cold and turning

Hi Guys,

That’s my first post here so welcome everyone.

I was wondering if anyone would recognize what may be the source of weird sound I started hearing recently. GLC300, 7500 miles.

I can only hear it when leaving the parkade and when cold, turning left or right.
Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_5225.MOV (12.05 MB, 216 views)
Old 05-02-2022, 07:49 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,973 Likes on 3,123 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Video doesn’t isolate the sound.

This is scrubbing isn’t it? You are driving on a smooth and recently constructed or renovated surface correct? The GLC has a well known tire stick-slip phenomenon because of its steering and suspension geometry. The stick-slip, or scrubbing, is worsened under some conditions such as cold tires or sticky surfaces such as newly constructed or renovated parking decks.
Old 05-02-2022, 10:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
X253
Originally Posted by chassis
Video doesn’t isolate the sound.

This is scrubbing isn’t it? You are driving on a smooth and recently constructed or renovated surface correct? The GLC has a well known tire stick-slip phenomenon because of its steering and suspension geometry. The stick-slip, or scrubbing, is worsened under some conditions such as cold tires or sticky surfaces such as newly constructed or renovated parking decks.
Thank you for the response.

With the video yes it is scrubbing and that is the best I could get. I tried from outside, inside with window opened or closed. Maybe I should have tried to amplify it in audio editor but headphones helped a lot and I could hear it clearly so I thought it would be enough.

Anyway, you got me thinking. I started noticing it after coming back from 1,500 miles trip. There was a lot of dirt, mud ,snow, etc so I never knew if that could be the reason or not. Our building management does clean the surface once a year but as far as I know they haven't done anything when we were away. They did it few months ago but as far as I know they pressure wash with water, no detergents. Also I didn't notice anything right after they did it.

However, what I did after coming back is intensive cleaning and detailing. I did it right after coming back without the car leaving the parkade as I do it myself and I have all I need in my building. What I used as part of the process was Meguiar's tire coating. I am wondering if I could have sprayed it somewhere too deep but I try to stick to the side of the tyres as before.

I noticed there is a pattern so you can only hear it every spin of the wheel like it was in one part of the tyre. I managed to hold the same angle of the steering wheel before having to change the direction and I could hear it repeating regularly every spin as the wheel was rolling.

Also, it stops after the car is no longer cold. I checked it by driving out from the parkade after driving few kilometres first, coming back to same parkade level and driving away the same way I do when it's cold. Couldn't hear anything. I haven't noticed it on any other surface or the road either.
Old 05-02-2022, 10:59 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,973 Likes on 3,123 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Use the search feature on this site to learn about crabbing or scrubbing. The GLC platform is particularly well known for it. Other vehicles from other carmakers also exhibit the behavior.