GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

Overhead EZ-Pass & Cruise Control Problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-22-2022, 06:59 AM

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
2023 GLC300 4Matic SUV
Overhead EZ-Pass & Cruise Control Problem

A recent trip involved traveling on highways with overhead EZ-Pass readers. Traffic speed was between 65 & 70 MPH. I had the adaptive cruise control (ACC) set at 70. As I approached the overhead EZ-Pass reader the cruise control ‘freaked out’. It felt like the brakes were slammed on and my speed dropped to about 40 MPH. The indicator showed the ACC as Suspended. I had to step on the accelerator to reengage. This happened each time (4X) I approached these readers.

This seems pretty dangerous. Is there something about these overhead readers that interferes with Distronics? Has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks,

Kyle
Old 08-22-2022, 05:27 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
GLC43
Works fine with Toll Tag readers in Texas.
Old 08-22-2022, 05:43 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
2020 GLC300 4W
The adaptive cruise control feature uses speed settings stored in the navigation app. It has reduced speed levels stored for random locations where it decides speed should be reduced (usually to 40mph or less) and accordingly applies brakes to slow the vehicle down. I usually have my finger on the resume/cancel rocker button on the steering wheel to turn the cruise control off temporarily while passing through those locations.
Old 09-24-2022, 03:35 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
2008 c300 Sport 4matic
I have experience multiple similar problems when using the adaptive cruise control. Often, when driving along the Interstate in lightly populated central Maine at 75mph or so, the car will abruptly slow down (obviously with some braking applied) for no apparent reason. Maybe once upon a time there was some construction work in that location and the nav system is convinced that the speed limit just became 45 mph? The other day on a longish road trip, this random slowing seemed to occur every ten miles or so. It got to the point that I just turned off the cruise control and drove normally. I wish there were some way to use it without speed limit sign reading or nav-based speed limit imposition. Very annoying and dissappointing!
Old 09-26-2022, 11:13 AM

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
2020 GLC300 touring version (but I miss my '93 300SE W140 tank)
I have experienced the same thing many times. Currently, none of my daily routes include old construction.
I wonder if using CarPlay maps instead of Navigation would "turn off" the old m-b stored speed limits?