GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

Blister on steering wheel

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-28-2023, 08:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2022 GLC 300
Blister on steering wheel

Recently, this car took a trip to Florida for a couple of days. It was averaging about 80-85 degrees during the day and mid to high 70s during the night time. I was wondering if this was caused by the heat. I reside in New York and have had this car for a year. It isn't parked in the garage so it does sit outside, but it has hit above 90 degrees in the summers here and I haven't had any issues. It was only until this past weekend in Florida that it developed this "blister". I was wondering if anyone has a similar issue with their car/steering wheel. I am planning on taking it to the dealership as soon as possible but wanted your opinions as to how to classify this.

Of note, I don't think the steering wheel is peeling or flaking. It is still intact, but it has a rough patch that feels uncomfortable to grip. Let me know what you guys think!

"Blister" at around the 1 o clock position of the steering wheel.
Old 04-28-2023, 10:17 AM

Received 204 Likes on 164 Posts
2021 GLC 300 4Matic
It could be related to the heat but if it hasn't happened while in New York, may not be related. Considering it is a leather wrapped steering wheel, you need to be careful of lotions and cleaners that may be on your hands. That is what it looks like to me if you know you didn't scrape the wheel with anything.
Old 04-28-2023, 10:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 257 Likes on 228 Posts
2018 GLC300 4Matic; 2008 ML550 4Matic; 2004 C320
I am in Northern Cali, where it does get blistering hot in the summer as well, however without the humidity factor.

I (including the entire family, all cars) ALWAYS put window shades in the windshield and have all side and rear windows lightly tinted to avoid heat as well as UV. Most peeps think the window shades are only good for heat, but they will also keep UV rays out of the interior, which will eat up the inside of any vehicle.

With that said, I have never experienced this, but I also regularly condition the leather in order to keep it from drying out to avoid possible cracking.

So, ………… protect your interior from the sun and UV rays at all times in order to avoid the possibility of a situation as described by the OP.
Old 05-03-2023, 11:58 PM

Received 166 Likes on 121 Posts
1986 Light Ivory R107 560SL, 2020 Lunar Blue W205 C300 AMG-line
Originally Posted by S70Houston
I am in Northern Cali, where it does get blistering hot in the summer as well, however without the humidity factor.

I (including the entire family, all cars) ALWAYS put window shades in the windshield and have all side and rear windows lightly tinted to avoid heat as well as UV. Most peeps think the window shades are only good for heat, but they will also keep UV rays out of the interior, which will eat up the inside of any vehicle.

With that said, I have never experienced this, but I also regularly condition the leather in order to keep it from drying out to avoid possible cracking.

So, ………… protect your interior from the sun and UV rays at all times in order to avoid the possibility of a situation as described by the OP.
^^^ agreed. I am religious when it comes to sunshades when parked outside. My W205 is always parked outside and it baked for days in the sun at triple digits. With good care, tint and my sunshade, my car looks and feels like new on the inside.

Other things to take into consideration. NEVER clean leather with a magic eraser, I’ve heard of plenty of people causing blistering for that reason, so in case you have used one of those I suggest stopping. Another thing is rings. It could be related to a somewhat sharp ring and when combined with a sunbaked wheel it could easily cause something like that… ask how I know :/
Old 05-05-2023, 09:39 AM

Received 150 Likes on 90 Posts
2024 GLE, 2022 GLC , 2022 GLC
Steering wheel blister

Originally Posted by joepham98
Recently, this car took a trip to Florida for a couple of days. It was averaging about 80-85 degrees during the day and mid to high 70s during the night time. I was wondering if this was caused by the heat. I reside in New York and have had this car for a year. It isn't parked in the garage so it does sit outside, but it has hit above 90 degrees in the summers here and I haven't had any issues. It was only until this past weekend in Florida that it developed this "blister". I was wondering if anyone has a similar issue with their car/steering wheel. I am planning on taking it to the dealership as soon as possible but wanted your opinions as to how to classify this.

Of note, I don't think the steering wheel is peeling or flaking. It is still intact, but it has a rough patch that feels uncomfortable to grip. Let me know what you guys think!

I had my GLC down in Florida for about two months. Inside of vehicle did get hot on some days, black interior. I don’t have a sunroof so perhaps it didn’t get as hot as vehicles that do. Your steering wheel looks like it has a cut in it as well, perhaps that had something to do with it. I am sure MB builds vehicles with the knowledge that some people live in extremely hot conditions and the materials they select for their interiors must be suitable for those conditions. See if your dealer will replace cover for wheel. Good luck.
Old 12-04-2023, 04:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes GLC 300
Same issue dealer accepted previous case but denied mines common issue

Originally Posted by joepham98

dealer denied my case same issue saying it’s lotion or hand sanitizer but they can’t prove that called mb USA saying to take it to another dealership I have a cpo 2021 Mercedes glc with only 21,000 miles on jt. I will fight this but let me know what yours says ?

Peeling mb