Battery malfunction - towing not permitted

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-06-2023, 04:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLC 350e Hybrid
Battery malfunction - towing not permitted

Hi!

I have a 2016 GLC 350e Hybrid. Recently i have got some problems with the car. It gives a red battery sign and says "Malfunction". This have been here for some weeks, and there have been no faults at all, just this message popping up when unlocking car.

But yesterday it came a new message also "Towing of vehicle not permitted", and the car would not start at all. I took off/on the poles on the 12V battery and after it worked. Same happened today, and it didnt help taking on/off the battery. So now the car dont work at all.

My question is, have anyone ecperienced this before, and did they find a reason?

I am planning to change the 12V battery even though its tested OK, and the auxilary battery, before i deliver it to the MB workshop (they have months waiting time and the car is out of warranty).

Regards

Old 09-06-2023, 03:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,530 Likes on 1,126 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
Originally Posted by AndersTH
Hi!

I have a 2016 GLC 350e Hybrid. Recently i have got some problems with the car. It gives a red battery sign and says "Malfunction". This have been here for some weeks, and there have been no faults at all, just this message popping up when unlocking car.

But yesterday it came a new message also "Towing of vehicle not permitted", and the car would not start at all. I took off/on the poles on the 12V battery and after it worked. Same happened today, and it didnt help taking on/off the battery. So now the car dont work at all.

My question is, have anyone ecperienced this before, and did they find a reason?

I am planning to change the 12V battery even though its tested OK, and the auxilary battery, before i deliver it to the MB workshop (they have months waiting time and the car is out of warranty).

Regards
Definitely put a charge on it. If nothing else it will help troubleshoot your situation.

Your hybrid battery may still be in warranty - I think it's 80,000 mi, 8 years, but verify.
Old 09-06-2023, 10:05 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,209 Likes on 1,886 Posts
PFL205.064
Hi!

Regardshttps://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbworld.org-vbulletin/2000x1124/1000011842_bfe7049d37d49d05c23fcd642e12cc3d283837b 6.jpg
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...2a0a05ef08.jpg
As another forum member mentioned, that looks like your high voltage battery/hybrid battery having issues, the symbol doesn't look like the starter 12V battery for example, as that symbol is usually just one battery cell. Towing not permitted is because the vehicle is not letting you shift to neutral so if you tow it, it will likely damage the drivetrain. Interesting that unplugging the 12V battery resets it I guess the reason it came back is because the computer did a test or two and determined there is still an issue with the high voltage/hybrid battery so the message came back.
Old 09-07-2023, 04:11 AM

GLC 350e Hybrid
Originally Posted by mikapen
Definitely put a charge on it. If nothing else it will help troubleshoot your situation.

Your hybrid battery may still be in warranty - I think it's 80,000 mi, 8 years, but verify.
Thanks for answering :-) I tested a brand new 12V battery yesterday because we had one at my job, but as expected it didnt help.

And thanks for the information about warranty, i found something about 6 years on the hybrid batteries:. The car is registered in 2017 and sold as 2017 model.
Old 09-07-2023, 05:58 AM

GLC 350e Hybrid
Originally Posted by W205C43PFL
As another forum member mentioned, that looks like your high voltage battery/hybrid battery having issues, the symbol doesn't look like the starter 12V battery for example, as that symbol is usually just one battery cell. Towing not permitted is because the vehicle is not letting you shift to neutral so if you tow it, it will likely damage the drivetrain. Interesting that unplugging the 12V battery resets it I guess the reason it came back is because the computer did a test or two and determined there is still an issue with the high voltage/hybrid battery so the message came back.
Thanks for answering :-) I have spent some time "Googling" this and reading in forums, but i havent got any wiser on this. I guess i have no other choice than to take it to the dealer :-)
Old 09-07-2023, 08:24 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,209 Likes on 1,886 Posts
PFL205.064
Thanks for answering :-) I have spent some time "Googling" this and reading in forums, but i havent got any wiser on this. I guess i have no other choice than to take it to the dealer :-)
Did your scanner at least pick up a stored code?

For illustration purposes, here is how the 12V battery symbol looks like: https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...8360024c3.jpeg
Old 12-22-2023, 01:01 PM

Mercedes Benz C350e
Exclamation

Hi!

Regards
Hi, I'm having the same issue. What was the issue with the car?

Last edited by Robwr80; 12-22-2023 at 01:08 PM.
Old 03-07-2024, 03:03 PM
ASF

350e 2015
Hi,
I've a 350e (2015) with the same issue. Battery malfunction warning and not working hybride system. Charging by a cable is not working either.

How was the malfunction warning resolved?

Regards
Ab

Old 03-14-2024, 04:33 AM

GLC 350e
Hi!

Regards
I had exactly the same thing on my 2017 GLC350e and its already in service for 2 months, there was an issue with battery heating device and then some other things kept breaking down.
the repairs cost is mounting up and is already 15 k $. I am shocked and looking for a lawer.
Old 03-14-2024, 08:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 865 Likes on 667 Posts
G550
Towing not permitted of course means the vehicle must be flat-bedded to the dealer. Even in neutral with the parking brake released, AWDs shouldn't be towed in the manner illustrated by the dash icon.
Old 03-18-2024, 02:54 PM

2005 SL 55 AMG 50’Km
Any solution on this issue?

Hi!

Regards
I had the exact same issue this weekend.
it was very rainy and blowing a lot. And it was very wet around the charging point but I couldn’t see any moist in the contact point for charging. I was told to inspect this as first step.
the day after it was dry outside and I was able to start the car and drive it for 10 min and same fault messages came back.

so I guess I’m heading for the MB dealer again. About a year ago I changed the PTC heater/battery heater and the error messages were about the same as this. After changing the PTC a malfunction battery icon appeared from time to time with no defects or change on the car. And I could find no pattern in when it appeared. Now it seems like it’s in an emergency mode when it starts and runs.
since the PTC is already changed I wondered if anyone had an update for this thread. What was the solution?
I guess this is a high voltage issue and few unauthorized dealers can handle this is what I’m told. I’d did cost me 7000usd to change the PTC last year at the Norwegian Mercedes dealer. So any tips away from them is helpful.