Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-25-2024, 08:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLC 350d 4-matic
Exclamation GLC 350d (2017) 4-matic (engine?) rattle

Hi guys!
My main language is Dutch so I'll try my best but there will be faults :-D
I'm here because I don't know what to do anymore.
4 years ago I bought my uncle's 2017 glc coupe 350d 4matic with the V6 OM642 diesel engine.
I had already noticed that there was a rattle when he drove off but didn't pay to much attention to it.
Untill I owned it.. It started to annoy me :-)

It is a rattle that only starts when driving and when the RPM's go around 2000 + (not reproducable stationarry)
It stops when the car is almost at stop. When driving in a city centre with lots of buildings and when the window is down, it is soooo loud :-(
The rattle itself is heard very clearly on the left front wheel and I only can descirbe it when you put some marbles in a bad and shake them.
Like a membrane metal to metal noise.

I started looking for the most obvious things that could cause it. That was no succes.
I took ik to the dealer and they said it was a bad bearing that is holding the propeller shaft into place where it goes thru the engine.
They showed me and it was indeed worn. So they replaced it but that didn't change the rattle.
Mercedes opened up a case but that led to nothing.

Then I took it to another dealer (with lots of mercedes experience) and he said it was the timing chain.
He changed the chain, tensioners, guidance,... and even the balance axle but still the rattle continued.

My last option was that the high pressure fuel pump had an issue so I also replaced this (yesterday). Again... No succes :-(

Can anyone please help me?

PS. the rattle was already there when the car had 40.000 km's and now I'm almost at 100.000km's. Maybe it was there before but I never paid attention when the car was my uncle's.

Last edited by Master_Theun; 01-25-2024 at 08:41 AM.
Old 01-28-2024, 09:04 AM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Mercedes Benz GLC 250d and GLC 350d AMG-Line
Sorry but I have no advice regarding your rattle. Was looking for threads on the GLC 350d as I'm considering getting one. If you don't mind me asking, what sort of consumption do you get and are you happy with the vehicle?
Old 03-21-2024, 06:55 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,642 Likes on 2,246 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
OP please record the sound and upload it and post it here, that way, we can hear and will be able to tell the sound is normal or not.