Failed wipers replacement ...need help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-16-2024, 11:58 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2018 GLC, 2012 RX350. Gone: Q5, LR2, XC90
Failed wipers replacement ...need help

Hello,
I recently decided to change the front wipers because they were chattering and did not clean well the windshield anymore.
First, I tried Bosch wipers I bought off Amazon. After watching a YT video, I managed to remove the driver side blade and put a replacement in, but the pass. side gave me troubles because I could not move the plastic clip. Eventually, after some fiddling with it, I got it out but when I tried to install the Bosch blade, the clip would not lock. Put the original blade back in and the clip locked fine. Removed the OEM, put Bosch in again and the clip would not lock. So I removed the Bosch blade from the driver's side, put original blades back in and ordered OEM blades online.
I got OEM blades and tried to remove the clips- this time, it was cold outside and the clips would not move/un-lock.

Tried harder and broke off the ends from both clips- those ends lock the clips in place. I then put old blades back, put some crazy glue on those clips and basically glued the clips to the wiper arms.

Called the closest dealer who told me that I would have to buy the whole arms. Called another one who said that the clips were available, but needed to be ordered, I would have to come to pay first, then come back to pick them up.

Called the dealer I bought the vehicle from and they told me I would need to buy the whole arm assemblies…

So, I ordered a couple of clips off eBay.

My question is: did anyone use those aftermarket clips?

The worst part is that on the box from OEM blades, there are clear instructions how to tilt the blade before removing it…which I saw after I broke the clips.
thanks…

Old 02-17-2024, 09:55 AM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
2022 GLC 300 4 MATIC
I bought the clips on Ebay for my 2021 GLB when I had it. No issues and they worked fine. A lot cheaper then the OEM clips.
Old 02-17-2024, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by wireman218
I bought the clips on Ebay for my 2021 GLB when I had it. No issues and they worked fine. A lot cheaper then the OEM clips.
thanks- as I understand there is not even a p/n for OEM clips
Old 02-17-2024, 06:47 PM

2022 GLC 300 4 MATIC
Originally Posted by m1964
thanks- as I understand there is not even a p/n for OEM clips
I believe if you look at the underside of the clip, there is a part #.

Before ordering through Ebay I found the number and called my dealer to check on an OEM part price.

IIRC it was close to $30 for one. Highway robbery.
Old 02-17-2024, 11:56 PM

One of the dealers (not the closest) told me the clips were available at $14/piece, but I'd have to come and pay for them first, then come back to pick them up. I told the parts sales person that I would not want to drive there, esp. twice and asked for the p/n. He replied, "We have a policy we cannot give p/n over the phone".
I wonder if they get those clips off eBay.

I have a "special" (sort of) relations with the salesman we bough the GLC from. I called him and asked if he would speak with their part dept. He called back and said that, according to their parts manager, clips were not available separately...
Old 02-27-2024, 11:14 AM

DO NOT CHANGE WIPERS in COLD weather!

Hello again,
Finally I got a chance to attempt wipers replacement again.
Waited for warmer temp.- over 50F today.
Removed old wipers that were held by broken OEM clips that I super glued to the top of the arms after I broke those clips.
It was not a good "repair" because one of the clips came off very easily...it was a problem waiting to happen.
So, tried to put a new clip-it would not go on. The eBay clips are not the same as the OEM, their locking ends do look different.
Eventually, I was able to slide the clip onto the arm but the ends would not go under the arm to lock in, so I used a hair drier to heat the clips and was able to push the ends under the metal.
I did not see the clips that look like OEM on eBay, so for the next wiper change I will order clips first, in case the ones I put in break- they most likely will.
Shame on MB not making this part available separately without the arms.

Hopefully this post will help another MB owner not to break those flimsy OEM clips.
Old 02-27-2024, 11:26 AM

2022 GLC 300 4 MATIC
Originally Posted by m1964
Hello again,
Finally I got a chance to attempt wipers replacement again.
Waited for warmer temp.- over 50F today.
Removed old wipers that were held by broken OEM clips that I super glued to the top of the arms after I broke those clips.
It was not a good "repair" because one of the clips came off very easily...it was a problem waiting to happen.
So, tried to put a new clip-it would not go on. The eBay clips are not the same as the OEM, their locking ends do look different.
Eventually, I was able to slide the clip onto the arm but the ends would not go under the arm to lock in, so I used a hair drier to heat the clips and was able to push the ends under the metal.
I did not see the clips that look like OEM on eBay, so for the next wiper change I will order clips first, in case the ones I put in break- they most likely will.
Shame on MB not making this part available separately without the arms.

Hopefully this post will help another MB owner not to break those flimsy OEM clips.
Didn't have any issues with the Ebay clips I bought for my 2021 GLB. Don't know if the GLC ones are different.
Old 02-28-2024, 12:22 AM

Maybe I was not doing it right, who knows but they are in.
The following users liked this post:
wireman218 (02-28-2024)