GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

Rear bumper, exhaust tip, clip/fasteners missing?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-03-2024, 03:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2016 GLC 250 GDI 4matic, 2017 B250 Electric Drive
Rear bumper, exhaust tip, clip/fasteners missing?

Hi, I just bought a used 2016 GLC 250 4matic with lots of miles on it... I just noticed a couple of holes underneath the rear bumper, near the exhaust trim pieces. Looks like I am missing a clip or fastener of some kind? Does anyone know what goes there, if anything? See picture below.

I have this OCD with missing clips and bolts and screws...

Same situation on lefthand side. Whatīs supposed to be here, if anything?
Old 06-03-2024, 11:59 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
'18 GLC 300 4MATIC M274
Hi, On my 2018, there is an aluminum rivet that attaches that lower bumper trim to a plastic bracket, which supports the exhaust tip.
Old 06-04-2024, 07:12 AM

Hi and thanks for helping out!

Another forum user pointed me to nemigaparts.com where I could browse all the parts on these cars and I think I found the rivet you mentioned, and the part number

​​​​​​335 BLIND RIVET
BRACKET TO BRACKET, LEFT AND RIGHT 004 A 00 399 094 97 - $1.22

If anyone has a chance to take a picture or have the actual required dimensions of this rivet it would be awesome, it might help others too.

I suspect using a screw or similar alternative here is not a good idea. I have not studied this closely though. Perhaps the rivets are designed to break if you hit something minor, so as to try to minimize damage. Now I have no idea why these rivets are missing on my GLC and what happened here before I bought it (Iīm the second owner), except my car did come with a full Mercedes service history. Nothing to indicate repairs back here... The only repair listed is some work to a non functional reverse light. But it does look like interior/trunk parts/trim have been removed at some point.

So i guess the next project for the summer is to find a way to put those rivets back somehow. Itīs just a tiny thing but I like my cars to have all the parts on them even though theyīre kinda old.

Maybe I can just get a generic rivet? Sometimes those Mercedes parts prices are... surprising.

PS:
In the US would you refer to the GLC (an SUV type vehicle) as a car--or a truck..? Itīs not quite a "truck" is it? Are SUVs trucks?

Last edited by Ghostdaddah; 06-04-2024 at 07:18 AM.
The following users liked this post:
mikapen (06-04-2024)
Old 06-04-2024, 11:25 AM

Whooops. So, the weather is actually nice, and I dove under the car just now... and found that the picture I supplied actually shows the correct mounting -- with the rivet installed.

I was wrong - my car is only missing ONE rivet, on the opposite side/lefthand side. And I can see clear scuffmarks/light damage on the bumper -- so that explains it all. It also supports the idea that the rivet is actually designed to break away, so as not to spread light damage to the bumer itself or other expensive components.

So now.... I need to get just one rivet, for the other side, drivers side.

(I would edit my first post to clear up the confusion but I donīt think itīs possible to edit the original post.)

Rivet, in place correctly installed from factory.

Drivers side (left), rivet is missing

Reason rivet is missing.

Last edited by Ghostdaddah; 06-04-2024 at 11:43 AM.
The following users liked this post:
mikapen (06-05-2024)