GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

Incoming GLC 350e vs Lexus NX450h+

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-12-2024, 01:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lexus RX450h
Incoming GLC 350e vs Lexus NX450h+

I think I have one more new car in me and it’s going to be a PHEV. Owned Lexus (Lexi?) since 2000 but am intrigued by the upcoming MB GLC 350e. Never actually owned a MB but learned to drive on a 190 with standard transmission lever on the column back in the day. Any thoughts on the NX vs GLC would be appreciated.
Old 07-22-2024, 06:17 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
GLC350e
I have a 2019 GLC350e, my wife, primary driver, and I love it. I'm 6'1" & have plenty of leg room in the front without squeezing the person in the back.
Having driven a number of recent loaners, GLC & GLE, the 2019 is a little smaller on the outside, & I like that.
Love the Burmeister sound! The car handles well, accelerates smoothly, unlike the later ICE GLC & GLE loaners we drove. Granted, I'm always driving in economy and don't push the car at all.
The 2019 has a small <9kWH battery. This will get me around the small town I live in for a single round trip in electric (E-Mode) only.
I have a Level 2 charger (220v) so the battery charges in about 90 minutes.
My wife has a 15mi drive to work and usually gets about 35mpg on a daily basis. She often gets home with the battery at 20%. I try to arrive with the battery at 10%. She doesn't play with drive mode or comfort buttons, just keeps it in hybrid & comfort settings.
There are a few niggling things I don't like about the car:
  • The hybrid will stay in electric mode at 45 & 50 mph, burning through the small battery too quickly. Other hybrids will cut over to ICE at 45 or even 30 mph.
  • The hybrid will try to maintain the battery at 20% after running it down. This leaves only 10% or about a mile of >30mph driving. I'd like to be able to set that, or at least bump it up to 30%, so I can drive through my neighborhood without belching...
  • On highway trips, e.g. >500 miles, the mileage drops below 30mpg to about 27-28mpg. We don't drive long trips too often, thankfully
  • There's no switch to increase regenerative breaking, so you get what you get. Also, you have to keep your foot on the break to get full on re-gen braking, which is the opposite from most EVs.
On the other hand, some things I love:
  • Initial acceleration from a stop is electric, so it's quiet and not as much strain on the motor
  • There is haptic feedback on the accelerator to remind you to un-lead your foot. If you do need to hammer down, the ICE kicks in quickly and flawlessly.
  • Even if there's no level 2 charger, the battery will charge easily overnight on the included 110v charge cable
  • I'll reiterate the sound system here.
We plan to keep the car until it is at least 10yo. After that, they better have automated driving!
Old 07-22-2024, 06:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lexus RX450h
Thanks!

Originally Posted by Zodiac
I have a 2019 GLC350e, my wife, primary driver, and I love it. I'm 6'1" & have plenty of leg room in the front without squeezing the person in the back.
Having driven a number of recent loaners, GLC & GLE, the 2019 is a little smaller on the outside, & I like that.
Love the Burmeister sound! The car handles well, accelerates smoothly, unlike the later ICE GLC & GLE loaners we drove. Granted, I'm always driving in economy and don't push the car at all.
The 2019 has a small <9kWH battery. This will get me around the small town I live in for a single round trip in electric (E-Mode) only.
I have a Level 2 charger (220v) so the battery charges in about 90 minutes.
My wife has a 15mi drive to work and usually gets about 35mpg on a daily basis. She often gets home with the battery at 20%. I try to arrive with the battery at 10%. She doesn't play with drive mode or comfort buttons, just keeps it in hybrid & comfort settings.
There are a few niggling things I don't like about the car:
  • The hybrid will stay in electric mode at 45 & 50 mph, burning through the small battery too quickly. Other hybrids will cut over to ICE at 45 or even 30 mph.
  • The hybrid will try to maintain the battery at 20% after running it down. This leaves only 10% or about a mile of >30mph driving. I'd like to be able to set that, or at least bump it up to 30%, so I can drive through my neighborhood without belching...
  • On highway trips, e.g. >500 miles, the mileage drops below 30mpg to about 27-28mpg. We don't drive long trips too often, thankfully
  • There's no switch to increase regenerative breaking, so you get what you get. Also, you have to keep your foot on the break to get full on re-gen braking, which is the opposite from most EVs.
On the other hand, some things I love:
  • Initial acceleration from a stop is electric, so it's quiet and not as much strain on the motor
  • There is haptic feedback on the accelerator to remind you to un-lead your foot. If you do need to hammer down, the ICE kicks in quickly and flawlessly.
  • Even if there's no level 2 charger, the battery will charge easily overnight on the included 110v charge cable
  • I'll reiterate the sound system here.
We plan to keep the car until it is at least 10yo. After that, they better have automated driving!
Great feedback. Really appreciated.