GLC Class (X254) Produced 2023+

Test Drove 2023 GLC

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-11-2023, 09:06 AM

Received 150 Likes on 90 Posts
2024 GLE, 2022 GLC , 2022 GLC
Originally Posted by EWL5
I'm also coming from AZ as well (finished 5 years of Acura) and got the X3 last fall after no longer willing to wait for the '23 GLC. Did you consider the X3 at all?
Just like the 2022 GLC, the X3 is in need of a redesign. I had one , my son has one and it’s tired looking
Old 05-11-2023, 09:38 AM

Received 209 Likes on 170 Posts
'23 GLS450
Originally Posted by Bryce1023
Just like the 2022 GLC, the X3 is in need of a redesign. I had one , my son has one and it’s tired looking
That's fair. I prefer physical buttons on the steering wheel and for HVAC control so the current gen X3 still has that. The X3 is projected to lose buttons for the '25 MY new gen.
Old 05-11-2023, 03:06 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
GLC
Originally Posted by Bryce1023
The X3 is badly in need a complete overhaul, as I would argue the Q5 is. The interiors of both look very dated compared to some of what has come out in the last year. I like the '23 GLC, but wish it had some 'button' presence.
The following users liked this post:
EWL5 (05-11-2023)
Old 05-11-2023, 03:16 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,847 Likes on 2,425 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
That's fair. I prefer physical buttons on the steering wheel and for HVAC control so the current gen X3 still has that. The X3 is projected to lose buttons for the '25 MY new gen.
I guess interior design is not BMW's strong point, but interior sturdiness might however be.
EWL5 (05-11-2023)
Old 05-11-2023, 04:19 PM

GLC
Originally Posted by W205C43PFL
I guess interior design is not BMW's strong point, but interior sturdiness might however be.
Slight disagreement...I would say sturdiness of BMW's regardless of inside or outside is superb. We have owned 3 BMW's and even at 100K and beyond miles, these cars still felt like they were new. Doors thunked with a solid close, the body was in pristine shape, no squeaks, no rattles. I assume MB is of similar quality. BMW's stying, especially interiors has just lagged some, at least on the X3. We saw a review of the Q5 yesterday, and it seemed closely as dated to the X3. I could be wrong, but I think the Q5 is on year 5...not sure about the X3.
Old 05-11-2023, 05:37 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by efr1
Slight disagreement...I would say sturdiness of BMW's regardless of inside or outside is superb. We have owned 3 BMW's and even at 100K and beyond miles, these cars still felt like they were new. Doors thunked with a solid close, the body was in pristine shape, no squeaks, no rattles. I assume MB is of similar quality. BMW's stying, especially interiors has just lagged some, at least on the X3. We saw a review of the Q5 yesterday, and it seemed closely as dated to the X3. I could be wrong, but I think the Q5 is on year 5...not sure about the X3.
I guess the X3 went through facelift not too long ago, not sure though.
Old 05-11-2023, 06:13 PM

GLC
Correct, and corrected. I guess I really mean a full 'new vehicle'. These mid-cycle refreshes only do so much, and technology is moving so fast in these cars. Of course manufacturers are not too enthused about re-doing a vehicle because of the massive costs associated
Old 05-11-2023, 09:28 PM
Out Of Control!!

Correct, and corrected. I guess I really mean a full 'new vehicle'. These mid-cycle refreshes only do so much, and technology is moving so fast in these cars. Of course manufacturers are not too enthused about re-doing a vehicle because of the massive costs associated
Kind of related to the X3 except sedan this time... I heard the 3-series sedan will simply be getting an extended life for the generation instead of an all new 3-series that is powered by ICE, so next 3-series is essentially going full electric? I mean not the first time German manufacturers did this, the current Macan got like 3 facelifts right?
Old 05-12-2023, 06:49 AM

'23 GLS450
I guess the X3 went through facelift not too long ago, not sure though.
Current gen X3 debut in '19 MY. The LCI (mid-cycle refresh) was for '22 MY.
Full redesign of X3 is expected for '25 MY.
Old 05-12-2023, 11:26 AM

BMW 5 Series and BMW X3
I have a 2019 X3 that I'm currently thinking of replacing. I've found the interior materials and fit and finish to be very good. No creaks, squeaks or rattles at all. Although I don't really mind it, the interior styling etc. is getting a bit outdated vs. the competition.

The GLC is high on my list and now that they are finally appearing at dealerships around me, I'll be taking a close look at them. I wanted to like the refreshed Lincoln Corsair but just can't warm up to it.
Old 05-13-2023, 08:30 AM
Out Of Control!!

Current gen X3 debut in '19 MY. The LCI (mid-cycle refresh) was for '22 MY.
Full redesign of X3 is expected for '25 MY.
Thanks for this information.
EWL5 (05-13-2023)
Old 05-13-2023, 08:31 AM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by BobinIL
I have a 2019 X3 that I'm currently thinking of replacing. I've found the interior materials and fit and finish to be very good. No creaks, squeaks or rattles at all. Although I don't really mind it, the interior styling etc. is getting a bit outdated vs. the competition.

The GLC is high on my list and now that they are finally appearing at dealerships around me, I'll be taking a close look at them. I wanted to like the refreshed Lincoln Corsair but just can't warm up to it.
I see, do let us know your impressions once you test drive one compared to your X3, always nice to hear about how the competition is doing actually.
Old 05-13-2023, 08:59 AM

'23 GLS450
I see, do let us know your impressions once you test drive one compared to your X3, always nice to hear about how the competition is doing actually.
I picked up a '23 X3 xDrive 30i last fall because I couldn't find a '22 GLC w/hands-free liftgate and didn't want to wait until April for the new one.
If anyone's cross-shopping against the X3, here are my thoughts after 6 months of ownership:

1) Infotainment - 9/10 Arguably the best I've had in quite a while! I've only ever had wired CP (CarPlay) in the last 5 years w/Acuras but the wireless CP in the X3 has been pretty reliable! I can still play tunes from a USB A port while using CP to boot.
2) Performance - 9/10 I expected this to be better than the GLC and it hasn't disappointed, even in the 4 cylinder! I know everyone's going mild hybrid but I haven't felt I needed it, at least not in my X3.
3) Fuel Economy - 10/10 Getting better numbers than the TLX I gave up. Currently averaging 25 mpg on mixed driving. Can prob hit 30 w/all highway or better I'm sure.
4) Audio/Music - 4/10 I unfortunately opted for the standard HiFi system hoping to upgrade the audio in the future. W/o getting into too much detail, it's just not possible to do a "real upgrade" given BMW's current implementation. The voices from FM personalities sound different than all the other cars I've had. Anecdotal evidence has shown that the wattage is even lower in more recent models than when the current gen came out in '19 MY. The Harmon Kardon package is necessary if you want any chance of playing multichannel audio FLAC files over the USB port. I'm available for PM or can send a direct link Bimmerpost threads that address the audio.
5) Trunk space - 8/10 Fairly roomy but is a very tight fit to put my full-size golf bag in sideways. Other than that, Costco runs are a breeze.
6) Noise isolation - 6/10 Yet another sore point. There's some issue w/sealing I think that allows more road/wind noise than normal. Definitely listen for this on any test drive!
7) Seat comfort - 7/10 Had a much better seat in the previous Acuras. The Sensatec is fine but seat support feels like it won't be as good on long trips.
8) Options/Packages - 7/10 Certain packages were unavailable when I picked up in Fall '22 but more may be available now (they were saving the HUD for the M40i models). BMW saves quite a bit of their better stuff for the better models, which is a shame if you don't need the size of an X5 or X7. I remember Mercedes always gave similar quality components in lower models, including the C-Class, GLC, etc. The lauded B&W audio system can't be had on the X3.

Hope this helps someone out there!

Last edited by EWL5; 05-14-2023 at 08:58 AM.
kaehlin (05-14-2023)
Old 05-13-2023, 09:20 AM
Out Of Control!!

I picked up a '23 X3 xDrive 30i last fall because I couldn't find a '22 GLC w/hands-free liftgate and didn't want to wait until April for the new one.
If anyone's cross-shopping against the X3, here are my thoughts after 6 months of ownership:

1) Infotainment - 9/10 Arguably the best I've had in quite a while! I've only every had wired CP (CarPlay) in the last 5 years w/Acuras but the wireless CP in the X3 has been pretty reliable! I can still play tunes from a USB A port while using CP to boot.
2) Performance - 9/10 I expected this to be better than the GLC and it hasn't disappointed, even in the 4 cylinder! I know everyone's going mild hybrid but I haven't felt I needed it, at least not in my X3.
3) Fuel Economy - 10/10 Getting better numbers than the TLX I gave up. Currently averaging 25 mpg on mixed driving. Can prob hit 30 w/all highway or better I'm sure.
4) Audio/Music - 4/10 I unfortunately opted for the standard HiFi system hoping to upgrade the audio in the future. W/o getting into too much detail, it's just not possible to do a "real upgrade" given BMW's current implementation. The voices from FM personalities sound different than all the other cars I've had. Anecdotal evidence has shown that the wattage is even lower in more recent models than when the current gen came out in '19 MY. The Harmon Kardon package is necessary if you want any chance of playing multichannel audio FLAC files over the USB port. I'm available for PM or can send a direct link Bimmerpost threads that address the audio.
5) Trunk space - 8/10 Fairly roomy but is a very tight fit to put my full-size golf bag in sideways. Other than that, Costco runs are a breeze.
6) Noise isolation - 6/10 Yet another sore point. There's some issue w/sealing I think that allows more road/wind noise than normal. Definitely listen for this on any test drive!
7) Seat comfort - 7/10 Had a much better seat in the previous Acuras. The Sensatec is fine but seat support feels like it won't be as good on long trips.
8) Options/Packages - 7/10 Certain packages were unavailable when I picked up in Fall '22 but more may be available now (they were saving the HUD for the M40i models). BMW saves quite a bit of their better stuff for the better models, which is a shame if you don't need the size of an X5 or X7. I remember Mercedes always gave similar quality components in lower models, including the C-Class, GLC, etc. The lauded B&W audio system can't be had on the X3.

Thanks so much for your comparison!
EWL5 (05-13-2023)
Old 05-14-2023, 12:25 PM

BMW 5 Series and BMW X3

1) Infotainment - 9/10 Arguably the best I've had in quite a while! I've only ever had wired CP (CarPlay) in the last 5 years w/Acuras but the wireless CP in the X3 has been pretty reliable! I can still play tunes from a USB A port while using CP to boot.

Nice write up. I agree with most everything you mention. My X3 is a '19 and I've had it 4 1/2 years. I bought it from dealer inventory as it had most everything we were looking for. It has the Harmon Kardon sound system, which is pretty good, although I'm far from an audiophile. I've read a lot about road/wind noise issues and seemed to have lucked out here as it's quiet. Seat comfort, I agree with your 7/10 rating. I have the ventilated seats which have received complaints about not being too comfortable. Since I bought mine before covid, the X3 came very well equipped with no option availability issues. It seems that BMW is now catching up with the available options, but a few things are hard to get. I'd get another one but am interested in trying something new/different.
EWL5 (05-14-2023)
Old 05-14-2023, 12:33 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2018 Mercedes GLC, 2021 BMW X3
Nice summary! I had a 2021 X3 which I think is about identical to the 23 - it was fairly loaded....I agree with most all your comments. I also have a 2018 GLC and waiting on my 23 GLC. Few notes:
  • I got 31-32 mpg on highway
  • agree with Sound system - not that good. We just got a 2023 430i with harman kardon and much better
  • No real noise. fairly quiet. Could feel bumps on road though
  • Acceleration great (rated 6.1 0 to 60 , but I think more like 5.8)
  • Good storage room and back seat (better than my 18 GLC)
  • Handling was fine
  • No maintenance/repair issues at all...
EWL5 (05-14-2023)
Old 05-15-2023, 10:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 484 Likes on 359 Posts
2014 Mercedes E350 4matic Wagon, 2018 Fiat 124 Spyder Lusso manual, 2005 Acura TSX manual
For me the two big issues with the X3 were 1) infotainment - I like idrive but don't love it, it just isn't tuned right for me. MBUX is so much more intuituve for how my brain looks and 2) interior materials - the interior feels much cheaper then the GLC to me, especially the sensatac material and the upper door panels and dashboard which can be MB-Tex in the GLC.
Old 05-15-2023, 10:38 AM

'23 GLS450
Originally Posted by BenjaminKohl
For me the two big issues with the X3 were 1) infotainment - I like idrive but don't love it, it just isn't tuned right for me. MBUX is so much more intuituve for how my brain looks and 2) interior materials - the interior feels much cheaper then the GLC to me, especially the sensatac material and the upper door panels and dashboard which can be MB-Tex in the GLC.
Mercedes is definitely more luxurious. BMW forces you to upgrade to higher models to get the better material that is already present in lower end Mercedes models!

Last edited by EWL5; 05-15-2023 at 11:30 AM.
Old 05-15-2023, 11:06 AM
Out Of Control!!

Mercedes is definitely more luxurious. BMW forces you to upgrade to higher models to get the better material that is already present in Mercedes models!
I mean... I think BMW's strong point is interior build quality but not design, the 8 series and the 3 series pretty much share the same interior other than different material choices for example.
Old 05-15-2023, 11:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 484 Likes on 359 Posts
2014 Mercedes E350 4matic Wagon, 2018 Fiat 124 Spyder Lusso manual, 2005 Acura TSX manual
I mean... I think BMW's strong point is interior build quality but not design, the 8 series and the 3 series pretty much share the same interior other than different material choices for example.
Yes, BMW build quality is great i.e. how well things are screwed together, but I think below the 5 series/X5, materials quality e.e. how high end feeling pieces they use is far worse in the BMW then the equivilent MB.
Old 05-15-2023, 01:00 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by BenjaminKohl
Yes, BMW build quality is great i.e. how well things are screwed together, but I think below the 5 series/X5, materials quality e.e. how high end feeling pieces they use is far worse in the BMW then the equivilent MB.
The problem with MB is the squeaks and rattles though, when you push the trim pieces you might see and hear movement, that is the concern. Which gets annoying when you are driving, especially if you were on run-flats and hitting bumps.
Old 05-18-2023, 10:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 BMW X5
Reviews of the 2023 GLC from a couple of car sites:

https://www.thedrive.com/car-reviews...ns-impressions
https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/2...t-test-review/

EWL5 (05-18-2023)
Old 05-18-2023, 11:41 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Glc 300
Originally Posted by SEC1939
Thanks Desal, Our GLC is set to arrive to the dealer May 19th. My dealer has 2 on the lot. Not sure if they are spoken for or not. I like the Mercedes hug. I never fold in my mirrors on my E.
congrats, i got mine a week back, 2023 model seems to have main controller unit not grounded and some other sensor issues. If you notice and sensor warnings.. don’t accept the usual that they will go away on its own… get the main controller unit checked…
Old 05-23-2023, 04:52 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by Sachinkv13
congrats, i got mine a week back, 2023 model seems to have main controller unit not grounded and some other sensor issues. If you notice and sensor warnings.. don’t accept the usual that they will go away on its own… get the main controller unit checked…
Was there a recall on that?
Old 05-23-2023, 06:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1954 Mercedes Benz 300 SL
2023 300 GLC

My wife just traded her second BMW X3 for a 2023 300GLC 4 Matic and loves it. The technology takes a little getting used to but it is far superior to her X3.

Paul Devers of Vin Devers Autohaus in Sylvania, Ohio, delivered her exact spec to our door. Fantastic service from start to finish.

Check them out: https://www.vindevers.com