GLC Class (X254) Produced 2023+

MBTex vs leather

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-02-2023 | 04:27 PM

2020 S Class 560 4MATIC 2024 GLE 450 4MATIC
MBTex vs leather

Wife drove X254 and convinced herself she needs one. Very hard to find leather even on a loaded vehicle. Every sales person I spoke with says MB Tex shouldn’t be a problem, even with two large dogs who believe the car belongs to them. I haven’t had a car without leather for years. It seems that years ago when I got my first E CLASS MB Tex had some issues. I spend some time on the W 222 forum but I haven’t read about any issues lately, but I wouldn’t expect to as I assume most S Class vehicle come with leather. Has anyone had issues with MB Tex? Does it wear well? Does I discolor? Tear or rip easily?
The following users liked this post:
chassis (07-02-2023)
Old 07-02-2023 | 04:42 PM
Out Of Control!!

PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
Originally Posted by retatt
Wife drove X254 and convinced herself she needs one. Very hard to find leather even on a loaded vehicle. Every sales person I spoke with says MB Tex shouldn’t be a problem, even with two large dogs who believe the car belongs to them. I haven’t had a car without leather for years. It seems that years ago when I got my first E CLASS MB Tex had some issues. I spend some time on the W 222 forum but I haven’t read about any issues lately, but I wouldn’t expect to as I assume most S Class vehicle come with leather. Has anyone had issues with MB Tex? Does it wear well? Does I discolor? Tear or rip easily?
I heard very positive reviews on the forums on mbtex in newer MBs in various applications, just not fully sure about the X254 though.
Old 07-02-2023 | 06:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

N/A
MB Tex is quite good and very durable. If you like the look then I would not hesitate to choose it.
Old 07-02-2023 | 10:48 PM
Out Of Control!!
MBWorld Ambassador

2017 GLE350 4MATIC
MB-Tex generally is indestructible. There have been rashes of reports of seam splitting and scuffing, mostly on E-Class. The MB-Tex on my W166 will be the last thing on the car to deteriorate, it is robust on that car.

Note that quite some differences in MB-Tex have been reported across models and years. It means MB doesn't buy enormous bolts of MB-Tex from one supplier factory, and make all seats for all models with it.

Seats and seat cover materials are made by several seating suppliers, in several factories around the world. Therefore there is some variation. So its best to take a look to see if you like it. Generally MB-Tex is good, but there have been reports to the contrary. I wouldn't be concerned with it.
Old 07-03-2023 | 01:04 PM

2020 S Class 560 4MATIC 2024 GLE 450 4MATIC
Convinced me. Wife pulled plug on on 2023, loaded with driver assistance,AMG, Pinnacle, Night Package, Hate the panorama sun roof but good luck trying to find one without it. Now to try and encourage dealer service dept to get the software fix downloaded. I’m sure they’re not sitting on a pile of fuel pumps so that recall will have to be scheduled. Many thanks to those who responded.
The following 2 users liked this post by retatt:
chassis (07-03-2023), PhotoJeff (07-03-2023)
Old 07-05-2023 | 09:59 AM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by chassis
MB-Tex generally is indestructible. There have been rashes of reports of seam splitting and scuffing, mostly on E-Class. The MB-Tex on my W166 will be the last thing on the car to deteriorate, it is robust on that car.

Note that quite some differences in MB-Tex have been reported across models and years. It means MB doesn't buy enormous bolts of MB-Tex from one supplier factory, and make all seats for all models with it.

Seats and seat cover materials are made by several seating suppliers, in several factories around the world. Therefore there is some variation. So its best to take a look to see if you like it. Generally MB-Tex is good, but there have been reports to the contrary. I wouldn't be concerned with it.
I see, do you happen to know who those suppliers were (known good ones and known bad ones?)
Old 07-05-2023 | 10:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 Mercedes E350 4matic Wagon, 2018 Fiat 124 Spyder Lusso manual, 2005 Acura TSX manual
W222 doesn't have MB-Tex in the US, Leather as the lowest option.

I actually preer the feel of MB-Tex to Leather on MB. MBs leather usually feels quite grained, stiff, and firm, while the MB-Tex is a little softer and more supple to me.

Also, much easier to care for, much more durable, doesn't take on oils and change color nearly as fast
Old 07-05-2023 | 11:46 AM
Out Of Control!!
MBWorld Ambassador

2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by W205C43PFL
I see, do you happen to know who those suppliers were (known good ones and known bad ones?)
Adient, Magna and Lear are majors in this space. Lear produces for MB Vance. Don’t know where MB buys seats for all vehicle models. No way to know where the good stuff comes from.

Keep in mind that suppliers produce to car companies’ specs. Systemic defects like seam splitting or perforation splitting are usually car company specification (design) failures notwithstanding the fact that car companies throw their suppliers under the bus for things like this on a regular basis.
Old 07-06-2023 | 10:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 Mercedes E350 4matic Wagon, 2018 Fiat 124 Spyder Lusso manual, 2005 Acura TSX manual
The different suppliers definitely have variations in product, for example I sat in an MB-Tex equipped EQE Sedan and EQE SUV back to back recently and the SUV seat centers felt much smoother and nicer and higher end, like they were emulating a Nappa surface, compared to the Sedan which was more grained.
chassis (07-06-2023)
Old 07-06-2023 | 02:34 PM

2011 ML350
I've had 7 MBs with leader and 2 with MBTex. Honestly, except for the odor when new, I cannot tell the difference. I note newer models only offer ventilated seats with MBTex, not leather, if that matters.
chassis (07-06-2023)
Old 07-07-2023 | 12:23 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by chassis
Adient, Magna and Lear are majors in this space. Lear produces for MB Vance. Don’t know where MB buys seats for all vehicle models. No way to know where the good stuff comes from.

Keep in mind that suppliers produce to car companies’ specs. Systemic defects like seam splitting or perforation splitting are usually car company specification (design) failures notwithstanding the fact that car companies throw their suppliers under the bus for things like this on a regular basis.
Appreciate the list.

I am curious, did the suppliers (like the fuel pump supplier) changed things in the production process without notifying MB?