GLC Class (X254) Produced 2023+

GLC 300e 2023 - Burnt Smell and UX Central Touchscreen went blury

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-24-2023, 04:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLC300e 2023
Angry GLC 300e 2023 - Burnt Smell and UX Central Touchscreen went blury

Hi, I have just picked up a brand new GLC 300e and the touch screen after only 40 miles went blurry.
This morning i have switched on the car and all seems ok.

In addition I have smelled inside the car a strong smell of burnt coming form the left hand side of the back of the car....

Anyone had experienced the same issues

Old 07-24-2023, 01:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,813 Likes on 2,549 Posts
2019 C63CS
The software is total crap in these cars. Absolutely horrendous. Had a new C300 loaner twice over the last two weeks. Needed a follow up appointment from a previous service appointment and coincidentally they gave me the same C300 loaner both times. The above with the screen happened as well in the middle of driving somewhere. I was using wired CarPlay and had Google Maps navigation going. Had to reboot it by pressing and holding the on/off button and then it was fine again. Just a complete disaster. When I had this loaner the first time, I tried to use wireless CarPlay and it kept crashing and disconnecting. Had to constantly fiddle with the system while driving. Was never this distracted in another car. This time I didn't even bother anymore and just used wired CarPlay from the beginning, but it also started crashing and disconnecting a few times.

I can't emphasize enough how awful these new MBs are from a user experience and ergonomics standpoint and the software leaves the factory half-baked. The best you can hope for is that they will fix these issues via an OTA update eventually.

The burning smell might be Cosmoline. The underside of new cars is coated with the stuff and it eventually burns off from the hot exhaust.
Old 07-25-2023, 07:55 AM

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
2023 (X254) GLC300 RWD White
Originally Posted by superswiss
The software is total crap in these cars. Absolutely horrendous. Had a new C300 loaner twice over the last two weeks. Needed a follow up appointment from a previous service appointment and coincidentally they gave me the same C300 loaner both times. The above with the screen happened as well in the middle of driving somewhere. I was using wired CarPlay and had Google Maps navigation going. Had to reboot it by pressing and holding the on/off button and then it was fine again. Just a complete disaster. When I had this loaner the first time, I tried to use wireless CarPlay and it kept crashing and disconnecting. Had to constantly fiddle with the system while driving. Was never this distracted in another car. This time I didn't even bother anymore and just used wired CarPlay from the beginning, but it also started crashing and disconnecting a few times.

I can't emphasize enough how awful these new MBs are from a user experience and ergonomics standpoint and the software leaves the factory half-baked. The best you can hope for is that they will fix these issues via an OTA update eventually.

The burning smell might be Cosmoline. The underside of new cars is coated with the stuff and it eventually burns off from the hot exhaust.
Disagree about the crap software. My GLC300 has not had one problem with any of the various software that runs the car or the MBUX. Matter of fact when you step back and think about it the software is 100 times more complicated than my phone or PC without the annoying pop-up ads. The issue with the screen going blank has occurred in some vehicles but from what I've read it goes away. My car play works wirelessly or wired without a problem. I use the MB maps and sometimes Google or Waze maps and never had a problem. I do use Whats App (voice & text) a lot without any issues.

As for the smell, we only have the mild hybrid not the "e" in the US. As long as it doesn't come back and everything that is electrical is working, keep driving. Enjoy the car and all the software.
The following users liked this post:
AstralB (08-01-2023)