GLC Class (X254) Produced 2023+

Automatic Engine Shut Off?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-28-2023, 12:37 PM

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
2023 GLC300 4Matic SUV
Automatic Engine Shut Off?

I’ve been sitting in my 2023 GLC SUV pushing buttons, learning about all of the new functions. I’ve also spent some time organizing the boot. In both cases I’ve had the engine running. In the first scenario, after a few minutes, a message popped up warning that if I didn’t “tap here” the engine would shut off. In the second instance, because I was at the back of the car, the engine just shut off. Is this related to the ECO Auto Stop/Start feature? If I turn that off will I be able to run the car in Park for longer than a few minutes?

Thanks
Old 07-28-2023, 03:01 PM
ODB

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
2006 C55, 2005 c230k, w203 c220cdi sportcoupe '03
I think majority of new cars do that nowadays
Old 07-28-2023, 03:08 PM

2023 GLC300 4Matic SUV
That seems nuts. They have 2 12 volt outlets in the car and they don’t do you much good if the engine shuts down. What if I’m using a compressor to fill bicycle tires? Or using a portable vacuum to clean the car?
The following users liked this post:
PhotoJeff (07-28-2023)
Old 07-28-2023, 06:56 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
2023 GLC
Originally Posted by KJWLI
That seems nuts. They have 2 12 volt outlets in the car and they don’t do you much good if the engine shuts down. What if I’m using a compressor to fill bicycle tires? Or using a portable vacuum to clean the car?
In the second instance, it may have shut off because you opened the boot/trunk. If I remote start it, it shuts off as soon as I open any door. Hate it.
Interestingly, once started, you can drive away without the key. It could care less. Of course, you better not shut it off.
Old 07-28-2023, 07:07 PM
ODB

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
2006 C55, 2005 c230k, w203 c220cdi sportcoupe '03
gotta push that button on the screen then
Old 07-28-2023, 07:22 PM

2023 GLC300 4Matic SUV
Originally Posted by PhotoJeff
In the second instance, it may have shut off because you opened the boot/trunk. If I remote start it, it shuts off as soon as I open any door. Hate it.
Interestingly, once started, you can drive away without the key. It could care less. Of course, you better not shut it off.
The remote start shut off thing may be a security feature. As you point out if the engine is running you can drive away without the key. If you remote start your car and someone walks by before you get there they can smash a window and drive away.

But in my case I’m sitting in the car and did not remote start it. I’m going to turn off the auto stop/start function and see what happens.
Old 07-28-2023, 10:20 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
2023 GLC
The remote start shut off thing may be a security feature. As you point out if the engine is running you can drive away without the key. If you remote start your car and someone walks by before you get there they can smash a window and drive away.
If started and unlocked, the car is theirs.
If started but locked and they smash a window, they can crawl in through the window… the car may be theirs (I won’t test that but you could do a similar test with the window down).
If started and locked and they smash the window and unlock the door from the inside, the alarm will go off. Not sure if it’s driveable or not.

My pet peeve is loading groceries… it’s been crazy hot. I start the car remotely to cool it as I walk out of the grocery store. I then open the trunk/boot to load my groceries and ice cream. The car shuts off. I now have to leave my frozen foods in the sun while I open the door to start it again, then go back to the rear and load my groceries. The car is now running and likely unlocked.
Wouldn’t it be easier to leave the doors locked if you remote start and open the trunk/boot? The car remains running. It’s only a threat if you’re overpowered but if that’s the case, they’d probably grab the key too.
Or… surely nonsense… just require the key to drive away!!!
Old 07-29-2023, 03:32 AM

2023 GLC300 4Matic SUV
If started but locked and they smash a window, they can crawl in through the window… the car may be theirs (I won’t test that but you could do a similar test with the window down).
If started and locked and they smash the window and unlock the door from the inside, the alarm will go off. Not sure if it’s driveable or not.

My pet peeve is loading groceries… it’s been crazy hot. I start the car remotely to cool it as I walk out of the grocery store. I then open the trunk/boot to load my groceries and ice cream. The car shuts off. I now have to leave my frozen foods in the sun while I open the door to start it again, then go back to the rear and load my groceries. The car is now running and likely unlocked.
Wouldn’t it be easier to leave the doors locked if you remote start and open the trunk/boot? The car remains running. It’s only a threat if you’re overpowered but if that’s the case, they’d probably grab the key too.
I don’t grocery shop, so I can’t relate 😂 My sister does live in Charm City so I know how hot it’s been in MD. 😅 I am going to see if the car will continue to run if I turn the auto stop/start off.
Old 02-22-2024, 09:18 AM
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
GLC

Hello, I have a 24 GLC 300. When I'd use the remote start and decide to open the door the engine shuts off. Like other people have posted I believe that's a security feature so no one will get the idea of just sitting in it and taking it for a joy ride!.
What I have done with other vehicles; I will get to the car start it up with AC on while I load it up, and always open up your windows. And there is a feature on the keyless key fob that you can hold the button down and it will bring down all of the windows for a pre- Cool. My two cents