GLC Class (X254) Produced 2023+

Mercedes has real competition

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-15-2023, 08:52 AM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Mercedes Benz GLC 250d and GLC 350d AMG-Line
I find myself in a position where I'd normally be buying a new car. However, I just do not like the interior design look of the new GLC at all and that is stopping me from pulling the trigger. My GLC 250d is now fast approaching 150 000km and is still performing faultlessly bar a 'faulty' oxygen sensor which was cured by some spirited longer distance driving. Other than that I have had no problem at all.

So I'm considering buying the facelifted 2020 GLC diesel that still came with an interior that I like. Or maybe just keep what I have now seeing that there real is no problem with my current vehicle. It will be hard for me to not buy a Mercedes. They others might be as good looking and in my case even better looking, especially the interior, but what will the overall design and engineering build quality be like over the longer term?
Old 12-15-2023, 08:55 AM

Received 183 Likes on 146 Posts
'23 GLS450
Originally Posted by Kosie
I find myself in a position where I'd normally be buying a new car. However, I just do not like the interior design look of the new GLC at all and that is stopping me from pulling the trigger. My GLC 250d is now fast approaching 150 000km and is still performing faultlessly bar a 'faulty' oxygen sensor which was cured by some spirited longer distance driving. Other than that I have had no problem at all.

So I'm considering buying the facelifted 2020 GLC diesel that still came with an interior that I like. Or maybe just keep what I have now seeing that there real is no problem with my current vehicle. It will be hard for me to not buy a Mercedes. They others might be as good looking and in my case even better looking, especially the interior, but what will the overall design and engineering build quality be like over the longer term?
I suggest you keep driving your ICE vechicle until it won't run anymore and forced to buy an EV!
The Mercedes quality you are used to is a thing of the past w/cheaper material and decontenting all across the board!
Old 12-15-2023, 09:07 AM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Mercedes Benz GLC 250d and GLC 350d AMG-Line
It will be some time before EV's will be accepted in South Africa where I'm from. We don't even have enough electricity to power our fridges, never mind vehicles!
The following 2 users liked this post by Kosie:
EWL5 (12-15-2023), Gitzer (12-15-2023)
Old 01-13-2024, 07:18 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2017 E300 RWD
Considering 2024 GLC 300 Purchase

Originally Posted by Bryce1023
Your point is valid and furthermore the GLC shopper would most likely not consider the CX-90 for the reasons you stated. I guess I was thinking more in terms of my GLE, which you can get with an optional 3rd row. BTW, I have nothing bad to say about my GLE and would buy another one in a heartbeat. I have a couple of friends that purchased the new GLC and had significant issues with the brand new car. These are both people who only looked at one vehicle, the GLC. Perhaps these are the type of people that would greatly benefit from knowing that there are other quality vehicles out there without the hallowed Mercedes Benz badge.
I'm presuming the comment about having couple of friends that have purchased the GLC were purchasing the 2024 model? Can you clarify? I'm considering the 2024 and I'm doing some research on here with the type of problems people have encountered. I'd be interested in hearing what your friends' significant issues were if it was the 2024. Thank you!
Old 02-27-2024, 01:50 PM

Received 183 Likes on 146 Posts
'23 GLS450
Originally Posted by EWL5
When Benz only finishes in the 25th and 26th ranking the last 2 years of CR's list, you better believe folks are looking at the competition (BMW is #1 by the way).

Took my 4 month old GLS into service to fix some error message popups (loose connections apparently). I would have an X7 by now if it weren't for my wife!
Mercedes continues to drop like a rock: they are ranked #29 out of 34 brands this year!

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...s/72702796007/
Old 02-27-2024, 03:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 647 Likes on 402 Posts
2014 E350 4-matic Sport & 2020 GLS450
I don’t care about the excuses of the loyalists, the pointing of fingers at other brand’s problems for justification, blah blah blah. The fact is, MB made a shift somewhere back in 2017 in terms of interior quality, and it shows. Still want the premium pricing, but plastics that creak and a dealership network that appears to struggle with repairs, and insane costs for the basics like $700 for an oil and filter change. It’s all catching up to them now. Best or Nothing is dead, and it’s obvious. I recently replaced my loyal 2014 E350 sedan with a 2014 VW Tiquan SEL with 40k miles for my son’s first car. A 10 year old VW. I recently had my GLS450 back in the shop to finally get the passenger seat cover replaced because the “indestructible” MBTex had split on both seat bottoms, twice on the driver’s side. A 6 month process and royal hassle. They gave me a new GLB loaner. Hands down, that 10 year old VW Tiquan is a far better built vehicle. From the interior door panels (that actually bend like cheap plastic on the inside of the GLB), to the idle vibration, seat comfort, and the way it drives. No comparison.

MB needs to divert that cash spend on batteries and get back to making some of the best luxury vehicles in the game. When KIA has your dashboard, you need to make a change.

that all being said, I love our 2020 GLS450, but as someone who recently had $75,000 to spend for a new vehicle for himself, there is nothing in the Mercedes Benz lineup that impressed me to buy another one now. Well, perhaps the $150,000 S class sedan, but I don’t crap gold coins, and don’t like car loans. But even still…that same cheap fake looking wood…ugh….

Last edited by nc211; 02-27-2024 at 06:28 PM.