Wife wants GLC43 but I知 now worried

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-12-2024, 01:00 PM
ODB

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
2006 C55, 2005 c230k, w203 c220cdi sportcoupe '03
Originally Posted by ODB
I had the same done to my car and it stopped to throw "discharged" message every week. Yesterday though I randomly checked the app and it was showing "Partially Charged" instead of charged. I will keep monitoring
"Battery discharged" happened to me again, will bring it to service in May.
Old 04-15-2024, 05:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLC 300 X254
It feels like the X254 was rushed out... Not sure why it has so many prominent problems which I thought they would have caught it during testing.
Some of the common problems I observed reading here and also in the GLC 300 group on facebook.

1) battery discharged within a day.
2) The car refused to go onto 'D', and it usually comes with a stack of inoperative messages.
3) Active emergency unavailable / active emergency inoperative while driving
4) The GLC suddenly tighten the seat belt as though you are already gonna have an accident.

For #1 - Good news is it can be fixed by a software update for the 4 door handles. For odd reason it is constantly searching for the key which keeps the central computer awake.
#2 - 48v battery problem? I heard there is now a software update solution
#3 - fuse problem? mine had a new steerling wheel, main control unit and software update. Still didn't fix it. Kind of given up, car is going back in later this month.
#4 - not sure.
Old 04-15-2024, 08:04 AM

Received 179 Likes on 143 Posts
'23 GLS450
Originally Posted by Tendiousx
It feels like the X254 was rushed out... Not sure why it has so many prominent problems which I thought they would have caught it during testing.
Some of the common problems I observed reading here and also in the GLC 300 group on facebook.

2) The car refused to go onto 'D', and it usually comes with a stack of inoperative messages.
4) The GLC suddenly tighten the seat belt as though you are already gonna have an accident.
The current gen GLC made its debut as a MY23 in April '23. The MY24 came out less than 6 months later! Anyone thinking permanent fixes were baked into MY24 are gravely mistaken!
Fingers crossed for MY25!

For #1 - Good news is it can be fixed by a software update for the 4 door handles. For odd reason it is constantly searching for the key which keeps the central computer awake.
Didn't you read the post above yours?!!! ODB had this "fix" and it's come back!

I've heard the same yet MY24 owners are experiencing the same problems!

#4 - not sure.
You're not referring to when the car gives you a "hug" when first applying the seat belt, are you? This is normal for Mercedes.
Old 04-15-2024, 04:19 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2011 ML350
Does anybody know the range of the keyfob? What's a safe distance to keep it?
Old 04-15-2024, 05:21 PM

GLC 300 X254
Originally Posted by EWL5
Didn't you read the post above yours?!!! ODB had this "fix" and it's come back!
That is no good! I hope mine is fixed for good... I'm quite confused as to how it can occur thou, my car was ok until one random day it just tripped. Really hope it is not triggered by a certain sequence of events, where we need to bring the car in whenever it happens...

You're not referring to when the car gives you a "hug" when first applying the seat belt, are you? This is normal for Mercedes.
Not the initial drive-off hug. It was my wife who experienced it, so I can't give details on how it is like. It happened while driving when she was coming to a stop at the lights. My wifey has lost confidence in the GLC...
The following users liked this post:
EWL5 (04-15-2024)
Old 04-15-2024, 06:11 PM

'23 GLS450
Not the initial drive-off hug. It was my wife who experienced it, so I can't give details on how it is like. It happened while driving when she was coming to a stop at the lights. My wifey has lost confidence in the GLC...
Yikes! This is the 2nd wife to lose confidence in Mercedes in this thread!
Old 04-16-2024, 12:53 PM

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
2023 (X254) GLC300 RWD White

#3 - fuse problem? mine had a new steerling wheel, main control unit and software update. Still didn't fix it. Kind of given up, car is going back in later this month.
#4 - not sure.
Just curious if anyone knows what % of the 23 or 24 production is having an issue. To read the thread it seems like a lot.

But in my case only 1 small one. Replaced the parking light module. The 12 volt warning comes occasionally but that痴 happened with my 2020 and is caused for the most part by having an accessory on without having the vehicle running.
Old 04-16-2024, 04:16 PM

GLC 300 X254
Originally Posted by DESAL
Just curious if anyone knows what % of the 23 or 24 production is having an issue. To read the thread it seems like a lot.
There will be a lot of happy customers not posting anything, what we see on the forum are usually the unhappy ones. But then this car is so new that I don't even see them as often on the road and there are already so many complains... So my guess is quite a high ratio. 48v and battery drain problems seem to hit a plague

Last edited by Tendiousx; 04-16-2024 at 04:30 PM.
Old 04-17-2024, 08:16 AM

'23 GLS450
@haitham.said, is there a conclusion to your saga?
Old 04-17-2024, 11:29 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
na
Got the car back last Friday and seems to be ok so far but don't want to jinx it.
coldblood (05-15-2024)
Old 04-17-2024, 11:59 AM

'23 GLS450
Originally Posted by haitham.said
Got the car back last Friday and seems to be ok so far but don't want to jinx it.
Good to hear!
I've got 2 recalls for my less than 1 year old GLS to do and one of them is 48V related. Fingers crossed for everyone!
Old 04-21-2024, 06:27 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2024 GLC COUPE
Well we ended up purchasing the GLC 43 on March 27th and by the 29th it was inoperable...

Even on the first day after bringing the car home and then going for dinner later that evening I noticed some issues with the transmission. Taking off from a stop light required a lot of throttle and the transmission would be rough. Going up inclines at slow speed the transmission seemed to be confused about which gear to shift into (driven in comfort mode). And then when reversing the car did not want to reverse slowly and would buck and judder. I tried not to think about it too much and put it down to maybe not being used to the throttle sensitivity driving a new car but I knew it was wrong - my other cars are a GT3 and F8 so I feel I have experience with sensitive throttles. The next day I drove the car and I didn't experience as many issues but still noticed a jerky reverse gear.

Then on Friday the 29th my wife took her mom out to shop and after a few hours when they wanted to leave the car would not start and kept flashing a "Fob not Found" error. She could unlock and lock the car and turn on the display and play music and charge her phone but the car just refused to start, even after placing the key in the designated area in the console. I thought maybe it was just the key so I left work early and brought the second key but still no dice. Tried everything for an hour and couldn't get it to crank. To make matters worse the car was parked in an underground garage so not easy to tow out.

Thankfully the dealer sent a GLE350 as a loaner so I could go home and it drives MUCH smoother. None of the transmission issues I noticed in the GLC. I still don't know what is wrong with the GLC and not even sure if they were able to get the car out of the garage (tried to forget about it over Easter) but the experience after two days has been BAD.
Very sorry to hear about your experience. That would certainly be discouraging. If it痴 any consolation, I致e owned my 2024 GLC for 6 weeks now and no problems whatsoever. Without a doubt this GLC has the most premium feeling drive of any vehicle I致e ever owned (my third Mercedes). I hope it all
works out for you and your wife.
coldblood (05-15-2024)
Old 04-21-2024, 07:44 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,913 Likes on 3,081 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Well we ended up purchasing the GLC 43 on March 27th and by the 29th it was inoperable...

Even on the first day after bringing the car home and then going for dinner later that evening I noticed some issues with the transmission. Taking off from a stop light required a lot of throttle and the transmission would be rough. Going up inclines at slow speed the transmission seemed to be confused about which gear to shift into (driven in comfort mode). And then when reversing the car did not want to reverse slowly and would buck and judder. I tried not to think about it too much and put it down to maybe not being used to the throttle sensitivity driving a new car but I knew it was wrong - my other cars are a GT3 and F8 so I feel I have experience with sensitive throttles. The next day I drove the car and I didn't experience as many issues but still noticed a jerky reverse gear.

Then on Friday the 29th my wife took her mom out to shop and after a few hours when they wanted to leave the car would not start and kept flashing a "Fob not Found" error. She could unlock and lock the car and turn on the display and play music and charge her phone but the car just refused to start, even after placing the key in the designated area in the console. I thought maybe it was just the key so I left work early and brought the second key but still no dice. Tried everything for an hour and couldn't get it to crank. To make matters worse the car was parked in an underground garage so not easy to tow out.

Thankfully the dealer sent a GLE350 as a loaner so I could go home and it drives MUCH smoother. None of the transmission issues I noticed in the GLC. I still don't know what is wrong with the GLC and not even sure if they were able to get the car out of the garage (tried to forget about it over Easter) but the experience after two days has been BAD.
Sorry to hear about your experience. Sadly, it is an entirely normal and expected element of MB ownership or lesseeship. MB痴 48V system was stillborn when first introduced and remains that way today.

MB transmissions have been poor since at least the 7G.
Old 04-29-2024, 09:57 AM

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
2024 GLS 450 AMG Package 2024 GLC 43 AMG
I too have noticed a significant hesitation in the transmission especially from a dead stop since day 1. I have a little over 1000 miles on it now. Coming from a BMW X4 M40i, it was extremely noticeable. I am getting a little used to it. I can see where it can be dangerous when trying to merge on street from a dead stop. It feels like the car doesn't respond for a second or two. Not to mention the ANNOYING rattle from the center console behind the navigation screen. Finally got rid of it by shoving some pieces of rubber behind the nav screen. It's a shame this is the case in a $75k vehicle.

Last edited by baobay; 04-29-2024 at 11:17 AM.
Old 04-29-2024, 01:50 PM
ODB

Originally Posted by baobay
I too have noticed a significant hesitation in the transmission especially from a dead stop since day 1. I have a little over 1000 miles on it now. Coming from a BMW X4 M40i, it was extremely noticeable. I am getting a little used to it. I can see where it can be dangerous when trying to merge on street from a dead stop. It feels like the car doesn't respond for a second or two. Not to mention the ANNOYING rattle from the center console behind the navigation screen. Finally got rid of it by shoving some pieces of rubber behind the nav screen. It's a shame this is the case in a $75k vehicle.
what you are referring to regarding hesitation is most likely start-stop. car shuts off and it indeed takes some time for it to turn on after stop.
Old 04-29-2024, 02:08 PM

No sir. It's definitely not the start/stop. I've had numerous cars with start stop and I know what that feels like. This is when the engine is running after it start. I have to depress the gas pedal 1/4th of an inch for the transmission to respond. It kind of jerks and lurches forward.
Old 04-29-2024, 02:18 PM
ODB

No sir. It's definitely not the start/stop. I've had numerous cars with start stop and I know what that feels like. This is when the engine is running after it start. I have to depress the gas pedal 1/4th of an inch for the transmission to respond. It kind of jerks and lurches forward.
got it, weird issue.
Old 04-30-2024, 01:52 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2011 ML350
Is it still there if you switch to Sport mode? Most Mercs start in 2nd gear, not 1st, in Comfort mode.
Old 04-30-2024, 03:13 PM

Honesty I don稚 know. I will try when I drive it next. Haven稚 driven in sports mode much yet.
Old 05-06-2024, 08:20 AM

'23 GLS450
@haitham.said, has the fix largely been favorable? The GLC could probably use some positive news!
Old 05-13-2024, 05:47 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
na
Generally yes but I got a call from her today that after she started the car and was talking to her mom on the bluetooth there was a very loud beep and all the screens went black. So now I have to figure out what that was all about.

~400 miles on the clock. Beginning to think the GLC is just garbage.
Old 05-13-2024, 06:02 PM

'23 GLS450
Generally yes but I got a call from her today that after she started the car and was talking to her mom on the bluetooth there was a very loud beep and all the screens went black. So now I have to figure out what that was all about.

~400 miles on the clock. Beginning to think the GLC is just garbage.
So sorry to hear that! I think it's seriously time for Plan B!
Old 05-27-2024, 05:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 210 Likes on 184 Posts
2021 c300 Cab. Arrived 7/28/21
A faraday bag is going a bit far but I honestly think Mercedes expected nearly all owners of their luxury branded cars to keep their cars locked and keys far enough away (shocker, I know!).

I think Mercedes is fighting a 48V uphill battle if they think they can force every American to think like they do!
I think most Mercedes owners probably have garages and don稚 lock their cars at home. I would never leave my key FOB in the car.