GLC Class (X254) Produced 2023+

When in park, brakes pressure not setting until E brake engaged

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old Today, 11:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLC 300 coupe
When in park, brakes pressure not setting until E brake engaged

2022 GLC coupe. Hopefully someone here can help! The shop says it's "normal" and could just be this GLC. I put the car in park and the brakes make a rubbing sound. It's like the pressures are adjusting, both in the front and back, inconsistently. The car will move and makes a loud, "snoring" or grind sounds...very annoying. Something I wouldn't expect from a Mercedes. Once the door is opened, the car is turned off, or that emergency park break button is pushed, then the brakes set and the noise stops. Has anyone else had this problem of the brakes not setting before the parking brake is engaged?

Last edited by Babs12; Today at 01:11 PM.
Old Today, 12:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,892 Likes on 2,604 Posts
2019 C63CS
I'm not entirely following. Is your foot on the brake pedal when this happens? If so, push harder to hold the car in place. There's always a bit of play in the transmission before the parking pawl holds it in place, so it might roll a bit initially. Best is to keep the foot on the brake, then put it in P and then turn off the engine which should automatically engage the parking brake, and only then take the foot off the brake pedal. This is especially important if you park on an incline. It will relieve stress from the parking pawl.
Old Today, 01:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLC 300 coupe
Hi there, thanks for your reply. My foot is off the break in the car is in park. While sitting there with the car in Park the brakes will make that noise. If I push the parking brake button to the left of the steering wheel, then the parking brake will engage in that noise will stop. The dealership said it's because the pressure in the brakes isn't entirely set until that parking brake is engaged, but he said it could just be a malfunction with this particular car. He said one other GLC he saw had the same issue. Trying to get to the bottom of it to see if it can be fixed or if it truly is something with the car that cannot be fixed. Thanks!

Originally Posted by superswiss
I'm not entirely following. Is your foot on the brake pedal when this happens? If so, push harder to hold the car in place. There's always a bit of play in the transmission before the parking pawl holds it in place, so it might roll a bit initially. Best is to keep the foot on the brake, then put it in P and then turn off the engine which should automatically engage the parking brake, and only then take the foot off the brake pedal. This is especially important if you park on an incline. It will relieve stress from the parking pawl.