GLC Class (X254) Produced 2023+

Staggered Run Flats on GLC 350E / No Spare

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-27-2024 | 09:50 PM

'14 E350
Staggered Run Flats on GLC 350E / No Spare

I want to replace my 2014 E350 with the GLC 350e (plug-in hybrid) that just came out. I've loved the E350 but my hot button is how fast the rear staggered tires wear out and would like to avoid that situation in the future. I'm lucky to get 18K miles on a set. I was at the dealership today doing a 350e build with the salesman and noticed it doesn't come with a spare because the battery consumed that space. I had a feeling his answer would be run flats which is bad enough because they're expensive and severely limits the choices available. That's when I saw it comes standard with staggered tires. 235/60R18 on the front and 255/55R18 on the rear. From what I've seen some models are worse than others and I gather a lot of it has to do with the rear camber. Wondering if anyone that has more experience over the years with staggered tires might have some thoughts to share?

Edit to this post: I see the AMG packages have staggered wheels. How is the tire wear on those vehicles?

Last edited by Kabra; 08-27-2024 at 10:38 PM.
Old 09-14-2024 | 09:32 AM

BMW 328ix
I haven't seen any unusual or abnormal tire wear directly attributed to staggered tire sizes on either of my AMG or other make (Porsche) vehicles as long as the car is in spec and aligned properly. You are correct in your assumption that run flats are more expensive and limit your choices as to other manufacturers' offerings. They also deliver less satisfying ride quality. Having said that, if your wife or significant other has a flat while alone at night on the turnpike, or while driving through a questionable part of town in the winter, they are indispensable.
Old 09-16-2024 | 01:41 PM

GLC
plus the 350e comes with air suspension standard, so that should help a bit with the ride.