crabbing issue solved?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-20-2018, 06:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 992 Likes on 764 Posts
2003 CL 600
Originally Posted by Chrisk03
Does anyone know the standard/official alignment specs for the GLC43? Would altering those fix the problem...or help the pretty awful tire wear?
The caster, which you would have to reduce to help with this issue, is not adjustable in any meaningful capacity. You can use offset bushings/bolts, but the difference is 1/3 of a degree. The car runs 10+ degrees of caster and the SAI is extreme, it would require a redesign of the front suspension to prevent this issue, and would decrease handling ability and high speed stability as a result. Switching to a less aggressive tire compound, or just a different one, will be better. The 222 exhibits this skipping at full lock in the workshop since we have tile floors, you hear/feel it quite obviously. Once you get outside on the pavement it's no longer noticeable.
The following users liked this post:
Chrisk03 (01-23-2018)
Old 01-23-2018, 12:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2017 GLC43 AMG
I have a 2017 GLC43 AMG, and the crabbing is horrible at temperatures under 70. It gets much worse as it gets colder. That being said, I had to rent a vehicle while traveling, and I rented a 2017 Corvette, Stingray, and it does the same thing but much worse. I did bring it to the attention of my dealership in Newport Beach, but was told they couldn't find anything wrong with it. I have the larger wheels/tires on it now, and am considering switching brands with hopes the problem goes away. I have seen major tear/wear to the tires on the edges, with some small pieces of rubber ripped off.
Old 01-23-2018, 01:07 PM

Received 84 Likes on 64 Posts
X3 M40i
Originally Posted by ItalianJoe1
The caster, which you would have to reduce to help with this issue, is not adjustable in any meaningful capacity. You can use offset bushings/bolts, but the difference is 1/3 of a degree. The car runs 10+ degrees of caster and the SAI is extreme, it would require a redesign of the front suspension to prevent this issue, and would decrease handling ability and high speed stability as a result. Switching to a less aggressive tire compound, or just a different one, will be better. The 222 exhibits this skipping at full lock in the workshop since we have tile floors, you hear/feel it quite obviously. Once you get outside on the pavement it's no longer noticeable.
Obviously you work at MB. Has no one questioned the tire scrubbing? I feel it on the pavement, driveway, shopping center garage that's not enclosed, etc... The skipping "is" an issue when you are reversing out of a spot. I nearly skipped across the pavement when backing out at homedepot parking spot and nearly hit a shopper as the truck was sliding out of it's spot. Needless to say the shopper gave me a mouth full and my family my wife also was scared. I was not in/on full lock either. I have 4,400 miles on my truck and tires in the front already look worn on the sides.

I know it's part of the design or whatever but for an SUV, you would think the setup would be better or MB offering All-Season tires stock. The GLC is not a porshe or corvette, and I would expect something like this to be happening on the GLC63S not the 43 model. If I would have known in advance of this, I would had just got the 19 or 20 inch wheels during the purchase of the vehicle. I bought in 2017 at the end of spring so I had no way of knowing about this issue.

Not taking it out of you, just frustrated that I am now spending money on tires when it could have been on a full ecu tune, or the roof racks and car carrier etc....
Old 01-23-2018, 05:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 301 Likes on 190 Posts
GLC 450
19 and 20 inch wheels are just as bad as 21 inch ones, in the UK MB have come up with all seasons for the 21 inch wheels but not the 19 or 20 because they are not available.
Old 01-23-2018, 11:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CL 600
Nobody questions it, and nobody complains here, but it's hot so I'm sure we don't get the weather conditions that it presents in nearly as much as most people. I notice it in the shop on the tile but never outside.

If your truck is eating tires up in 4k miles, your alignment is off. Have it checked, I bet it will help out some with the "skipping". If the toe setting is far enough out, it makes it worse at high steering angles.
Old 01-28-2018, 08:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AMG GLC43
Update: We got our GLC43 back late Friday afternoon. We decided to try the 20" AMG wheels with Goodyear Eagle Sport All Season Run Flats on it. So far, I'd say it's 98% better. The crabbing is gone for the most part and the car drives and feels much more stable that it did with the 21" on it. The weather has been quite a bit warmer the last few days so we'll see what happens when it gets cold. The dealership ordered the wheels & tires, did the swap, and so far so good. Personally, I like it better with the 20" on it. I think it fits the car better.
Old 01-29-2018, 04:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2017 GLC43 W4
Angry Crabbing Issue

MBUSA should address this issue. My 2017 GLC43 with 21" wheels and Continental ContiSport Contact Z rated tires experienced crabbing with LESS than full wheel lock and ALWAYS when my tires are cold at ANY outside temperature. I wanted the 21" wheels but nowhere in my hours spent "Building" on MBUSA do I recall any mention of "Summer Only" tires as the only option with 21" wheels. The owner's manual says DO NOT DRIVE summer tires under 45 degrees. I confirmed the fact with Continental. Perelli Scorpion Verde All-Season are available 1 size larger for the front and 1 size smaller for the rear. The rear would fit but the front 265/40 are three tenths inch taller. That possibly won't work; not sure yet. Also I find conflicting info as to whether that tire requires a minimum wheel width of 8.5" or 9". I'm awaiting a reply from the one national tire chain that's web site says the front tire can be mounted on 8.5" to 10.5" wheels. I think they are wrong; not sure yet.

I'm thinking of approaching MBUSA with the complaint of how embarrassing it is when guests riding in my car think there is something broken with the loud sound it makes when crabbing. Maybe a "class-action" is suitable here.

I would gladly trade these 21" for the 20" AMG Multi-Spoke...
Old 01-29-2018, 11:06 PM

AMG GLC43
Originally Posted by dkhudson
MBUSA should address this issue. My 2017 GLC43 with 21" wheels and Continental ContiSport Contact Z rated tires experienced crabbing with LESS than full wheel lock and ALWAYS when my tires are cold at ANY outside temperature. I wanted the 21" wheels but nowhere in my hours spent "Building" on MBUSA do I recall any mention of "Summer Only" tires as the only option with 21" wheels. The owner's manual says DO NOT DRIVE summer tires under 45 degrees. I confirmed the fact with Continental. Perelli Scorpion Verde All-Season are available 1 size larger for the front and 1 size smaller for the rear. The rear would fit but the front 265/40 are three tenths inch taller. That possibly won't work; not sure yet. Also I find conflicting info as to whether that tire requires a minimum wheel width of 8.5" or 9". I'm awaiting a reply from the one national tire chain that's web site says the front tire can be mounted on 8.5" to 10.5" wheels. I think they are wrong; not sure yet.

I'm thinking of approaching MBUSA with the complaint of how embarrassing it is when guests riding in my car think there is something broken with the loud sound it makes when crabbing. Maybe a "class-action" is suitable here.

I would gladly trade these 21" for the 20" AMG Multi-Spoke...
Have you already talked to your dealership? You'll get more from them than MBUSA in my opinion.
Old 01-30-2018, 01:13 PM

Received 84 Likes on 64 Posts
X3 M40i
Originally Posted by Coldsteel
Update: We got our GLC43 back late Friday afternoon. We decided to try the 20" AMG wheels with Goodyear Eagle Sport All Season Run Flats on it. So far, I'd say it's 98% better. The crabbing is gone for the most part and the car drives and feels much more stable that it did with the 21" on it. The weather has been quite a bit warmer the last few days so we'll see what happens when it gets cold. The dealership ordered the wheels & tires, did the swap, and so far so good. Personally, I like it better with the 20" on it. I think it fits the car better.
Coldsteel, Please provide more info on your dealear experience. You stated that the "dealership ordered the wheels and tires". Did the dealership pay for this out of pocket, did you get a discount or did you pay for this? My truck is at the dealership now, and if this is something that the dealership has paid for, I am going to harass my SA. Thanks!
Old 01-30-2018, 10:51 PM

AMG GLC43
Originally Posted by DameMD
Coldsteel, Please provide more info on your dealear experience. You stated that the "dealership ordered the wheels and tires". Did the dealership pay for this out of pocket, did you get a discount or did you pay for this? My truck is at the dealership now, and if this is something that the dealership has paid for, I am going to harass my SA. Thanks!
The dealer found them at another dealership in the northeast and either bought them or traded, I don't know for sure but we didn't pay anything. I got the impression that the dealership ate a little of it based on my conversation with the service manager
Old 02-01-2018, 06:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2017 GLC43 W4
My crabbing issue was solved today when I replaced the ContiSportContact Summer Only tires with Perelli Scorpion Verde All Season tires. The Verde is not available in a larger size for the rear. It works by going one size larger on the front (265/40/21) and one size smaller on the rear (275/40/21).
The other option I discovered from a blog here is to replace with Perelli Scorpion P Zero all-season using a size larger front and rear. It will work!
Old 02-22-2018, 03:50 PM

GLC 220 18" Wheels
GLC Crabbing not fixed

I purchased my 18” wheel GLC 220 in September 2016 unaware of the crabbing issue at the time. The skipping issue was apparent almost immediately but only when I noticed the excessive wear on the outer edges of the front tyres that I started to realise the severity of the problem. After 10,000 miles, the front tyres were barely legal. My Mercedes dealership assured me they would replace the tyres with a set of all-weather softer compound tyres and put me on a waiting list for tyres that were on back order. Some 2 months later and several frustrating calls, my dealership advised me the tyres were now available however Mercedes-Benz had changed their criteria and would only replace the tyres for the larger 19” and 20” rims. It seems Mercedes are saying there is no issue with the smaller 17” and 18” wheels; wrong!I have tried all avenues including logging an official complaint, they simply smugly tell me to take it up with the motor vehicle ombudsman; all of my emails appear to be being ignored. I paid over £42k for my GLC and to say I am disappointed is an understatement. It appears that I have no option other than to purchase new tyres but my concern is they will only last for another 10,000 miles.I have raised a complaint to the motor vehicle ombudsman who are aware of the issue, I do not hold a lot of hope but may be pleasantly surprised.I do love my GLC so if anyone is able to offer any advice other than to sell my car, it would be appreciated.
Old 02-23-2018, 12:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLC 450
Alab, I went to the ombudsman with my issue as they couldn't source all season tyres for my GLC43 with 19 inch wheels, it took almost 4 months but MB eventually gave me a set of 20 inch AMG wheels with winter tyres on, retail cost over £4500. Persevere and try and get a tyre dealer to do an independant report on your tyre wear, it may help. In the original letter on Fem24th 2017 MB admitted there was an issue and they would replace tyres with all seasons for owners who had the issue, there was NO stipulation on tyre size, thye only one they nthoughtn they had an issue replacing was 21 inch on the 43. I will pm you with a copy of the mail, although the omdudsman has seen this it may help your case if you send him another copy.
Old 02-24-2018, 01:21 PM

Mercedes GLC AMG 43
2018 GLC 43 owner, Southern California, 21 inch rims. Also experiencing crabbing when reversing out of the driveway and turning steering wheel regardless of direction or temperature. Thought it was just me or that I hit gravel until I saw this post.
Old 02-25-2018, 01:44 PM

GLC 220 18" Wheels
Originally Posted by hellofish
2018 GLC 43 owner, Southern California, 21 inch rims. Also experiencing crabbing when reversing out of the driveway and turning steering wheel regardless of direction or temperature. Thought it was just me or that I hit gravel until I saw this post.
I would keep an eye on the tyre wear, to be honest I believe the problem is more than just the tyres. What done it for me was when I entered a multistory car park on a wet day and going up the spiral ramp was an experience I don't want to repeat as it was sliding all over the place. MB say it not dangerous but I am not convinced. Their customer service is absolutely appalling, they just told me to take it up with the Motor Ombudsman which I have done but this takes a long time to get their judgment.
Old 02-26-2018, 06:09 PM

Received 182 Likes on 138 Posts
2021 E63s, 2018 GLC43, 2014 E63
Originally Posted by Coldsteel
We decided to try the 20" AMG wheels with Goodyear Eagle Sport All Season Run Flats on it.
That's what I got stock on my GLC43, never experienced any issue in Southern CA.
Old 02-26-2018, 08:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CL 600
Guys, if the car is really new and the tires are wearing funny or it's crabbing bad, have the alignment checked first and post up what they find for the toe settings. In my experience, many of the 205/222 cars have excessive toe setting from new, and the 253 is essentially the same suspension, wouldn't surprise me if it's happening on them too.
Old 02-28-2018, 07:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 151 Likes on 125 Posts
2016 GLC 250d AMG pack, 2017 GLC Coupe 250d AMG pack , 2002 BMW 330Ci convertible, 2021 BMX X1 sD20i
On another matter, some good news to report.
Dealer logged another report to MB HQ on Coupe tires, staggered rims, 255 and 285 on 20” AMG rims.
Original Michelin Latitude 3 summer, non run flats have been replaced after 14000km, wear rates were acceptable, though I did not measure them before leaving car, I should have to gain a better idea of wear rate – not permitted to keep casings as MB may claim against Michelin ?
Now fitted same tyres as I have been running since last year, the Goodyear Eagle Sport, All Season, RFT, M&S tyres. Now fitted to front and rear.
This should be a solution for other Coupe and GLC 43 owners with staggered 20” rims.
Goodyear’s are scarce, I think MB have imported their own stock pile to meet client demand.
Ride seems ok so far, PSI set at 36, though another Service Tech suggested 40psi ? As new default setting to assist with crabbing. MB also still fine tuning align settings and toe-in I think.
Hope to get new data from alignment machine to see trending figures and default settings.
Hope this helps fellow owners with winter approaching.
Old 03-01-2018, 05:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 GLC 250d AMG pack, 2017 GLC Coupe 250d AMG pack , 2002 BMW 330Ci convertible, 2021 BMX X1 sD20i
Update on Tyre wear. Goodyear Eagle Sport, All weather, M&S, MOE, 255 series on 20” AMG rims.
These replaced my Pirelli Scorpion Verde, Summer tyres, MOE, LASTED approx 35000km, may have got 42,000km before wear bars kicked in.
So measured tyres earlier myself as Dealer did not record Tyre wear on recent service.
Use small Michelin Tyre pressure unit with Tyre depth reader, sells around $25 from AutObarn stores.
Tyres when new – 8.0 to 7.9mm
Four Tyre channels to read, tyres have an outer side for fitting, inside channel seems to be 7.7 deep. Outside leading edge depth around 6.7mm.
My tyres on GLC, Fitted Sept 17.
Travelled approx 8000km
Wear is approx.
Tyres just rotated front to rear, so readings are rears in reality for fronts now, etc.
Front driver – edge 6.2, across 4 channels, 7.4 and 7.3mm
Front pass – edge 6.3, across, 7.3 and 7.2mm
Rear Drv side – edge 5.9, across, 7.1 and 7.2mm
Rear pass – edge 6.1, across, 7.0 and 7.1mm

When New tyres are :
Edge 6.7mm and across between 8.0mm and 7.9mm

So allowing for start 8.00 mm and average now after 8000km, with depth say 7.2mm and allowing end safe depth of 1.5mm, we have 6.5mm to effectively use.
I have used 0.8mm for 8000km.
To keep it simple, not allowing for any Tyre mixture wear pattern in manuf layering and running at 36psi, let’s say 1.0mm for 8000km. Therfore I think I could possibly achieve 52000km, if rotated @ 10,000km and aligned on rotation.
So I expect a range of 50,000 to 60,000km from these All Season, Run Flat, MOE tyres.
Most of my driving recently has been 35km in morning and 35km in afternoon, city and freeway driving ranging from 40 to 80kph. Couple of country runs of 250km each way, day and night driving in Spring and Summer conditions, couple in heavy rain, majority of driving on dry roads, not a lot of rain this year.
So Treadwear rating of 560 for Goodyear’s seems reasonable (Pirelli treadwear rating is 400).
Hope this helps re considering, All Season, RFT, MOE tyres as an alternative
Old 03-21-2018, 08:09 PM

GLC43
Originally Posted by dkhudson
My crabbing issue was solved today when I replaced the ContiSportContact Summer Only tires with Perelli Scorpion Verde All Season tires. The Verde is not available in a larger size for the rear. It works by going one size larger on the front (265/40/21) and one size smaller on the rear (275/40/21).
The other option I discovered from a blog here is to replace with Perelli Scorpion P Zero all-season using a size larger front and rear. It will work!
How are your pirelli tyres doing now?

Just bought GLC43 on 21 inch rims 2weeks ago. It has new pirelli p zero summer tyres on front. Have only noticed minimal crabbing turning at house with cold tyres (boxster is just as bad) , but obviously concerned about what lies ahead as the tyres wear. Was in dealership and advised could get all season tyres, but only front replacement and must be done before 18k miles. Didn't get into argument over this at present as will be running summer tyres for a while yet, but they must replace all 4 for safety. Has anybody had all 4 21s replaced in UK? Or have dropped to 20s instead?
Old 03-23-2018, 02:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLC 450
Merc have no all weather tyres in 20 inch or 19 inch for the GLC43.
Old 03-23-2018, 05:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Philamg
Merc have no all weather tyres in 20 inch or 19 inch for the GLC43.
Hi, What Tyre size are you after in 20” ?
see my earlier post, Mercedes fitting Goodyear All Seasons in both 255 and staggered size in 285 , on AMG 20” rims, both here in Australia and USA.
Not that easy to find, but they are made and MB in Oz have fitted them to a number of GLC’s. Not sure Re 19”: send me sizing or post here, and I’ll have a look for you.
Hope this helps you.
Old 03-24-2018, 05:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLC 450
Teckno, in the UK MB don't authorise fitting of any all weather 19 or 20 inch tyres to the 43, they won't supply them free of charge.

After 12 months of hassle and going to our motoring ombudsman I was given a free set of 20 inch AMG multispoke wheels with winter tyres for my car, my car is fitted with 19 inch wheels.
Old 04-06-2018, 11:17 AM

GLC43
Hi, mine is on 21" rims and there are no all seasons in UK. Had been looking to try pirelli all seasons (at the slightly different sizes), but only available in US. Had discussed with dealership at length, they say that the recommendation now is for continental 5star summer tyres (not sure of exact tyre yet) which will fix the problem for those with 21" alloys. They say they haven't had this occur with anyone on 21" rims yet, therefore no one given 20" alloys as noted in letter from mercedes UK Feb 2017. There are goodyear eagle all season in 20" available on www.oponeo.co.uk.

Friend recently picked up his 220d glc and was told he could have free set of all seasons.

Mine is due in for front air suspension recall replacement in a few weeks and will probably have the tyres they are recommending fitted. Will update how they go. Did voice my concern that pirelli summer tyres aren't reducing the problem and everyone else seems to be getting all seasons at other alloy sizes. Anyone tied replacement continental summers on 21"?

Thanks
Old 04-06-2018, 02:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLC 450
The first continental 21 inch tyres were fitted in April last year, they are made for BMW and all reports say they near enough cure the issue, hope you get it sorted but you would have thought by noe 14 months after admitting the issue that MB would have sorted the problem before RHD cars leave the factory.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: crabbing issue solved?