GLC63s, GLC63, GLC43 AMG SUV and Coupe (X253, C253) 2015 - Present

GLC63 Operating and Tire Questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-29-2018, 01:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMW 335 Xi
GLC63 Operating and Tire Questions

Looking for a new vehicle which is fast, not too big, and is usable all year around. Test-drove a GLC63 yesterday, and was generally favorably impressed, but would welcome some input from owners or from those who otherwise are familiar with the vehicle.

1. Accelerating briskly, but not fully flat-out, into a sharp left-hand turn on cold tires resulted in a sudden and complete but brief loss of power. I wonder if that might represent normal operation of the 63's traction and/or stability control? It was unnerving, but I have no prior experience with MB vehicles and cannot tell whether that was typical behavior under such circumstances, or represents a design or sample defect of some kind.
2. Transmission shifts in auto mode were definitely perceptible, whether in Comfort or Sport, and seemed more jerky than those in my current ride, a BMW 335Xi. Have others noticed this?
3. I live in Northern Virginia, where Winter temps drop below the limits recommended for summer tires. It does not appear that high-performance all-season tires are available in sizes to fit the 63 - what do you owners who live in similar or worse climates intend to do about tires when the temperatures drop? "Ordinary" (i.e., not high performance) all-season tires are available, but I wonder how much performance will be lost with that kind of tire - enough to negate the performance-related reasons to buy a AMG in the first place?

Looking forward to learning more about the 63 here!

Last edited by GmanJef; 05-29-2018 at 02:04 PM.
Old 05-29-2018, 02:33 PM
PREMIUM SPONSOR

Received 82 Likes on 52 Posts
Hi Gman! Welcome to the forum.

I'm your neighbor in MD - very familiar with Winter temperatures around here. Summer performance tires have a stickier compound when warm but turn into blocks of plastic below 45 degrees. To get the maximum grip out of a summer performance tire you would need to get them hot through spirited driving and hard stopping. I would safely assume the sudden loss of power you experienced was traction control kicking in, very normal. Turn the nannies off and it will be different

As far as the shifting is concerned your BMW 335Xi has a torque converter, whereas the GLC63 has a 9 speed MCT with a startoff wet clutch instead of a torque converter. More aggressive, much faster shifting. Also weighs less.

If you went with the RZS or RZT options then you could fit Continental ExtremeContactDWS06 which are highly recommended. 295/40/R20 on the back and 265/45/20 in the front. You will lose grip compared to the summers but that will change when it gets colder in October - November around here.
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Continental&tireModel=ExtremeCo ntact+DWS+06

If you wanted the RWA or RWB that might be a little tricky. I'll take some time to look for some tires that would match and post back when I can.

Last edited by EuroGermantown; 05-30-2018 at 10:02 AM.
Old 05-30-2018, 09:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMW 335 Xi
This is informative and helpful, thank you very much!

I assume RZS and RZT represent the ordering codes for the two 20" wheel options? The Tire Rack site only offers up the 21" wheel size as corresponding to the GLC 63, with no reference to the standard 20" wheel. Good to see the 20" wheel does offer the potential for a high performance tire suitable for year-round use in our climate, even that means buyers have to do a tire swap.

It's a little disappointing that Mercedes doesn't offer hi-perf all-season tires as a factory option although, to be fair, I noticed the same thing on the new BMW M5 - AWD but supplied only with summer tires without regard to where the car is being sold. The Nissan GT-R has a Cold Weather Package option which replaces summer tires with hi-perf all-season tires, and also replaces the radiator coolant with a mixture more appropriate to colder temps, so at least one manufacturer of high performance vehicles does offer the option.
Old 05-31-2018, 09:53 PM

Received 105 Likes on 81 Posts
GLC63
Originally Posted by sroumeliotis@eurogermantown.com
Hi Gman! Welcome to the forum.

I'm your neighbor in MD - very familiar with Winter temperatures around here. Summer performance tires have a stickier compound when warm but turn into blocks of plastic below 45 degrees. To get the maximum grip out of a summer performance tire you would need to get them hot through spirited driving and hard stopping. I would safely assume the sudden loss of power you experienced was traction control kicking in, very normal. Turn the nannies off and it will be different

As far as the shifting is concerned your BMW 335Xi has a torque converter, whereas the GLC63 has a 9 speed MCT with a startoff wet clutch instead of a torque converter. More aggressive, much faster shifting. Also weighs less.

If you went with the RZS or RZT options then you could fit Continental ExtremeContactDWS06 which are highly recommended. 295/40/R20 on the back and 265/45/20 in the front. You will lose grip compared to the summers but that will change when it gets colder in October - November around here.
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...Contact+DWS+06

If you wanted the RWA or RWB that might be a little tricky. I'll take some time to look for some tires that would match and post back when I can.
this right here is professional experience and knowledge based advice. not only should you follow this, you should go buy from them because you do want your dealer to know the car and everything concerning the car, especially tires.

When I was reading through your post, I was just going through to come suggest the DSW 06 Continentals also.

I am the tire consultant for my buddy with an Infinity G37 and I just moved him from summer Michelins to the DWS 06 and he loves it, with little loss in performance for every day driving.

My SRT jeep shipped with bigger run flat tires and while I am currently on some ****ty yokohamas, the only reason I have not moved to the shorter 295/40R20 DWS 06 on the jeep is because I am ready to order a GLC63.

Besides good all season performance, the threadwear rating on the DWS 06 is also phenomenal.
The following 3 users liked this post by viper3ez:
EuroGermantown (06-01-2018), Nationalleaguer (06-01-2018), susman@eurogermantown.com (06-12-2018)