What am i getting myself into?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-25-2018, 11:25 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C-300
What am i getting myself into?

Hi all,

Currently, I'm a C450 owner with <16K miles and have had it for a little less than 2.5 years. I have two small kids (3 and 6) and I'm a rather tall guy at 6ft and so it feels like the backroom is lacking. I've always regretted not getting the C63S but just couldn't justify it with RWD and living in NJ with the winter. So I am considering upgrading to a GLC63S. I would rather have an E63S but that is a huge step up in price and honestly I drove 3 miles a day and it sits in an uncovered parking lot. So my questions to you are:

1) Is the coupe roof comparable to the headroom of the C450 or C43 sedan? So far the kids are short enough that it doesn't matter but I do wonder if this is a pain for adults.
2) How rough are the 21" wheels on roads? My C450 is rather brittle feeling on 18" rather than the 19" upgrade option but I'm fine with it (the family complains now and again). Are the GLC63s suffering that crabbing issue that the I've seen the GLC43 suffer from on these forums?
3) Salesperson really dissuaded me from a lease. Basically said the residual rates are brutal (51%) as is the money factor at MB. Is that true? Basically, said I should just finance it but is the depreciation rate of cars like this truly 49% in 3 years (I know this is a relatively new car but are GLE's? or C63's holding value? I've never leased before but 51% seems pretty shocking especially when I went to a BMW dealership and the residual on an M5 (dreamed the dream) was 61%. The monthly cost was actually cheaper for a leased M5 than a financed GLC 63S (5 year at 2.59% from my bank) and while I won't have anything to show for it at the end of an M5 lease, I also don't have the hassle of trying to sell/trade-in these cars?
4) What are the hidden costs that I don't see when I price this out? Are people buying an extended warranty if they buy (How much and is that negotiable)? Are people buying tire insurance (how much and is that negotiable)? Any thoughts on how your insurance changes as a result of these cars? Is there any way to even think about annual maintenance of these cars if I were to think about owning this beyond 3 years and make it my commuter car for the next 7-10? How much sooner to the wheels wear out and how much are they? DO I need winter tires? How much for brake replacements/pads?
5) Are people getting deals on these? 2018 is almost over. Think I can get 7.5% off? Less/more (loyalty program plus wife's x5 may be competition program?)

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-26-2018, 03:41 PM

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
'21 GLE63S Coupe, '21 RS7, '21 Supra
I don't have a GLC63S but I've been debating whether to exchange my M40i for it so I've spent a fair amount of time in one. I also had a C43 a year ago.

As for headroom, I think the GLC has less than the C43. That sloping roofline is a problem for tall people. I'm 5'7'' and I still had a few inches before my head hit the roof but it definitely felt more claustrophobic than a C sedan.

Lease numbers are similar to finance numbers so it depends what you want to do. For me, I would buy but the new C class interior is coming out soon which might mess up residuals on this in the long run. AMGs were never really known for high resale values.

I could only negotiate a 2k off discount on the one I was looking at. That was with my AMA discount as well. That being said, I wanted most if not all the options available so my car choice was limited.

I will say this though, for a 98k car, why is there so much plastic in the back exterior of the car? It really makes it look cheap. I don't think my E63S has any plastic but the GLC's rear diffuser and 25% of the backside of it is plastic. I find that plastic scuffs up easier and never looks as good as metallic paint. That put me over the edge of deciding not to go ahead with the GLC and stick it out with my M40i for a year or two. Very capable car with the latest technology and great sounding engine as well.

Last edited by TheGuac; 05-26-2018 at 03:46 PM.
Old 05-27-2018, 03:23 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2017 C43 Coupe
BMW’s normally have better lease deals than Mercedes. Especially when comparing M’s and AMG’s. I don’t think you’ll be getting much of a deal on a GLC63S right now, also I personally wouldn’t buy one right now because of the interior update coming for 2019. I know for certain the C gets the update for 2019 model year and pretty sure GLC as well. Maintenance will be more obviously. As far as the warranty it really comes down to how long you’ll keep the car. If you see yourself having the car for over 70K miles I would buy an extended warranty. My girlfriend does drive my car and has curbed wheels a few times and I have as well a few times so I have gotten it in my last two cars, but a lot won’t cover cosmetic damage. The roads in your area obviously will affect your decision as well. From my understanding roads up there aren’t that great. Also make sure you check fine print - one for my 2015 335 wouldn’t cover aftermarket wheels but my most recent one for my X5 50i did.

Another idea would be to wait a few months and get a CPO E63S. These depreciate pretty quick so I think you’d be able to get one in a year for under 90
Old 05-27-2018, 01:18 PM

Received 105 Likes on 81 Posts
GLC63
I am in the market for a GLC63 SUV but just looked at a 63S because it was the color I like. At 5'10" the rear seat was perfect for me while the front seat was in a position I was comfortable (that is how I test space for all cars). from my position, anyone who is 6' or shorter would be perfectly comfortable in the rear because the slope is not as aggressive as it looks inside.

I will have a 4yr old and new born by the end of the year and the 63 coupe will e perfect as far as car seats go. strollers or flyer wagons in the trunk is where the challenge would be. with you kids, you do not need the trunk storage space newborns desire, so my input is to go with the coupe. It is just a gorgeos vehicle.

The one thing I did not realize up till Friday was that the Coupe gets a regular sunroof standard with no panoramic options, which makes sense but i never gave it much though as I have to have a sunroof.

residual value is 48% after 3 years if you go for 15k miles, which I need in Texas. fro your description, you are going to be way under the lease miles, and take a loss on utilized value if you lease. if you buy, you are going to have a low value model in 3 years that could result in quick sale but still cost you significant loss in 3 years of depreciation. with these cars, it is a hit no matter which route you go. so just bend over and take it while enjoying these beautiful machines.

Old 05-27-2018, 04:57 PM

C-300
Thanks all. I'll take this all into consideration. If I'm going to buy this car I want to have the option of keeping this for 10 years and not caring how the market around me is changing. I love the idea that this has 4matic as opposed to the C63s. However, I'm still not sure if this coupe design is going to hold up over the long haul. The plastic in the back is also a bit of a bummer. Perhaps i'll stick with my guns and wait out for a CPO e63s as that is something I can see running into the ground although I do fear the fuel efficiency as well as the running costs when out of warranty.

That blue is a nice color though. The one available by me is the designo metallic white ($1500 option) with the 21 AMG forged black wheels ($2750 option). I do think it looks attractive but if ordering I would never go with this expensive combo which will just getting eaten up on day one with depreciation. We'll see what the sales guy says.

Last edited by npa201; 05-27-2018 at 05:00 PM.
Old 05-27-2018, 07:51 PM

Tesla Model 3 Dual Motor, VW R32 + GLC63S Coupe (waiting)
I'm in the same boat as OP - was at the dealer yesterday and specced out a MY19 GLC63S Coupe. I have until Monday to confirm it though, so started to think what am I getting myself into.

I was initially planning on buying it outright, but once I heard the lease figures it had me a bit worried: standard MF and 47% residual for 36m/12k, with the 63 SUV coming out slightly better (50%).

As this is my first AMG, was hoping to get everyone's opinion on whether their residual is pretty accurate - ie: if I buy outright it'll lose half of its value in three years - and whether I'd be better off going with the SUV than the Coupe? The wife actually prefers the SUV, but I was sold on the 503hp

Charles
Old 05-27-2018, 09:07 PM

C-300
I assume its a combo of BMW playing games with its 61% residual and MB being stingy with its 51% (both at 10K although I heard the MF was higher at MBFS than BMW) but it just still shocks me that the lease for a M5 ($119K car) is roughly the same monthly as the GLC 63S (in this case it was specced to $96K). Seems nuts to me. While I was really thinking of buying the GLC rather than leasing, this certainly gives me pause about the used market demand for a GLC63S (I thought people hate sedans and only want crossovers now???).
Old 05-28-2018, 03:55 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by kabawi91
BMW’s normally have better lease deals than Mercedes. Especially when comparing M’s and AMG’s. I don’t think you’ll be getting much of a deal on a GLC63S right now, also I personally wouldn’t buy one right now because of the interior update coming for 2019. I know for certain the C gets the update for 2019 model year and pretty sure GLC as well. Maintenance will be more obviously. As far as the warranty it really comes down to how long you’ll keep the car. If you see yourself having the car for over 70K miles I would buy an extended warranty. My girlfriend does drive my car and has curbed wheels a few times and I have as well a few times so I have gotten it in my last two cars, but a lot won’t cover cosmetic damage. The roads in your area obviously will affect your decision as well. From my understanding roads up there aren’t that great. Also make sure you check fine print - one for my 2015 335 wouldn’t cover aftermarket wheels but my most recent one for my X5 50i did.

Another idea would be to wait a few months and get a CPO E63S. These depreciate pretty quick so I think you’d be able to get one in a year for under 90
there will be no interior update 0n 2019, most likely 2020
Old 05-28-2018, 08:47 PM

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts
2020GLC63
Aside from the many many cars prior ... recently came from a rs3 which is super small then quickly into a GLE 63s and wanted something smaller so I picked up and GLC 63s coupe and freaking love it! I've owned a porsche Macan turbo as well but this to me is better but I'm a v8 guy so take that in point too lol.

I'm 5, 10" and have 2 kids 1 14 and the other 6, they fit fine but would rather have more room but thats always understandable. This thing is a rocket, I've already lowered mine and just did tint. Love it, shame they are expensive, mine fully loaded was 98,650. If you get one you love it. Enjoy!
Old 05-31-2018, 01:05 PM

Received 84 Likes on 64 Posts
X3 M40i
Originally Posted by brad65ford
This thing is a rocket, I've already lowered mine and just did tint. Love it, shame they are expensive, mine fully loaded was 98,650. If you get one you love it. Enjoy!
Brad65ford, not to hijack this thread but what are you lowered on? Did you find lowering links or did you go the spring route?
Old 05-31-2018, 01:13 PM

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts
2020GLC63
Originally Posted by DameMD
Brad65ford, not to hijack this thread but what are you lowered on? Did you find lowering links or did you go the spring route?
LOL all good, yes I found links, here is my instagram link with pics. https://www.instagram.com/mod_it_films/?hl=en
Old 05-31-2018, 10:28 PM

C-300
Just an update on my end:
-So that Friday before Memorial Day my salesperson (weird dude) gave me the stats on the lease and when I asked about price, he asked how much I'm looking for and I told him 7.5%. He said I should wait until Memorial Day as its closer to the end of the month and his "manager" is more likely to go with that %. I told him I already had plans and so best case scenario is he should talk to him manager and give me a call with the best price and I"ll see if I could get out of my BBQ. He said he would call first thing in the morning. I told him that was the only day I would be able to come in this week as I would be away on business for the rest of the week. Mind you, that Friday, the dealership was not busy at all.
-I then went home and secured a loan through my bank that was going to give me a special rate of 2.56% but only through 5/31 at which point it would go up 25bp.
-Monday morning comes and goes and nothing from the sales guy.
-I call the "internet" department around noon and tell them that the sales guy dropped the ball and told them the vin# and I wanted to know best price, I had secured financing but would also entertain MBFS as well, but I had to know today. I opted into a text message as I told them I would be at a BBQ and wouldn't be able to speak.
-I hear nothing for 3 hours and then i get a call (no text...come on!). A new salesperson asks the exact same questions that the person asked before. He said, they were quite busy that day (THE REASON I DROPPED BY LAST FRIDAY!!!!) and would hope to have someone give me a call in a bit but asked if it could be on Tuesday. I told him I couldn't do Tuesday and explained I would be away on business.
-Lo and behold I hear nothing from them that day.
-At this point I was fed up and went on my business trip.
-Wednesday, I get an email from my original sales guy (despite me telling them I wanted a new guy) saying he has some numbers and wanted me to call him. SERIOUSLY? SERIOUSLY!?!?!??! I told him that ship has sailed. This was not a good experience if he really wanted to proceed I would only interact with him via email. Never heard from him again.

I am over it. This is how they treat someone that was literally ready to throw money at them and they didn't want my business? Idiotic. I was having a mid-life crisis moment and was vulnerable to spending $100K on a highly depreciating asset and they dropped the ball. My responsible self set in on Wednesday and instead I went out and ordered and grill and new patio set (haven't had a working grill in 3 years and our patio furniture didn't survive the winter). OH well probably for the best but this has certainly left a bad taste in my mouth and won't ever deal with this dealership again (Paramus NJ) which is a shame because its the closest one to me.
Old 06-01-2018, 11:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 301 Likes on 190 Posts
GLC 450
How was the barbacue?.
Old 06-01-2018, 05:08 PM

C-300
It was great! Would have been nicer pulling up in a v8 instead of a v6 but can’t complain! Maybe I’ll find a cpo e63 for the bbq next year.