GLC63s, GLC63, GLC43 AMG SUV and Coupe (X253, C253) 2015 - Present

What do you think of it as a family hauler?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-29-2018, 09:31 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
C63BS
What do you think of it as a family hauler?

Im thinking of getting a GLC 63 because I cant have enough power but need to haul family members around on weekends. Was thinking of combining my C63 and an impending GLE purchase into one vehicle and getting a GLC 63 instead of the GLE.

Problem is if its too stiff like usual AMG products then noone will want to ride in it and that defeats the purpose. I know it wont be a lexus, but do you think it rides in reasonable comfort such taht family members wont be upset with me on weekend trips and prefer the toyota?

Thanks for the honest input!
Old 12-29-2018, 11:01 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
2017 GLC 43 Coupe
I have a GLC 43 coupe and in my opinion its too small for a family hauler. I have been in a GLE 43 and it's much bigger inside much better suited for a family hauler.
Old 12-29-2018, 11:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2018 AMG GLC63
Originally Posted by darkus
Im thinking of getting a GLC 63 because I cant have enough power but need to haul family members around on weekends. Was thinking of combining my C63 and an impending GLE purchase into one vehicle and getting a GLC 63 instead of the GLE.

Problem is if its too stiff like usual AMG products then noone will want to ride in it and that defeats the purpose. I know it wont be a lexus, but do you think it rides in reasonable comfort such taht family members wont be upset with me on weekend trips and prefer the toyota?

Thanks for the honest input!

I have a 2018 glc63 suv and I think it would be fine. I upgraded from a normal GLC300 and, driving in comfort mode in the 63, it feels the almost the same in terms of stiffness as the glc300. I would definitely recommend going for it. The most fun car I have had thus far, and the most convenient at the same time. The best combo for me.
Old 12-29-2018, 11:30 PM

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts
GLC43
What size family do you have? Couple toddlers? Small children will work. If you have to haul stroller and stuff then it’ll be tight.
Old 12-29-2018, 11:32 PM

2018 AMG GLC63
I don't have a family, but my sister is a neighbor of mine, and she's always using it because she hates driving around her Honda. She's able to fit everything, no questions asked. She has 3 little boys and all her stuff she brings along with them fits in the trunk fine.
Old 12-29-2018, 11:38 PM

GLC43
Eh tough one. I would probably step up to the GLE. That’s what we plan on doing as soon as my wife and I have a child.
Old 12-30-2018, 12:24 AM

Received 105 Likes on 81 Posts
GLC63
I have a 4yr toddler and a new baby. GLCF fits and gets us around but the smaller size is noticeable for some things. Our Convertible seat is the recaro brand which is decently sized. with that, the leg space for myu son to climb in my himself behind my driving position is reduced but still available. We have a cheap graco booster that my toddler also sits on and with that, there's no space issue for him, he just climbs in and I belt him in.

Now t the infant seat, I do have one of the smaller footprint infant seats (Uppababy Mesa) and it works perfectly rear facing without causing fron seat passengers to move forward. I have not tried this with the base yet, just belt. In comparison, I rented a Tesla model 3 last week while vacationing and the same seat was comfortablbly behind the front passenger without a need to scoot too close to the dash.

If your car seats are not bulky, the GLC is perfect from my experience.

As for overall space, it is smaller than a GLE. I came from a Jeep Grand Cherokee which has the GLE dimensions and I do not miss the bigger SUV. while i could comfortable fit 3 full sized travel suit cases in the trunk of the Jeep (GLE size), the GLC struggle with 2 due to overall dimensions. with seats down, I was able to fit 4 massive 22" tires and 3 wheels in the back space. my Jeep (GLE size) would have taken 4 wheels and 4 tires in the back space.

With the performance of the GLC63, I do not see any value in the slower and heavier GLE at a significantly higher cost. But if that marginal space increase is critical to you, definitely want to avoid the GLC.

Old 12-30-2018, 01:52 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
C63BS
Sorry guys I probably should've worded things better.

The small size of the glc is what I find attractive relative to the gle since I imagine it will be more nimble and closer to the c63 from the fun factor POV.

My main concern is with ride stiffness.

Right now I'm imagining the glc 63 rides almost as stiff as a c63 which would be unbearable for the family. My dream would be to have it ride like a Lexus in comfort mode and then a c63 in sport+. I doubt that's possible but I'm hoping that it could feel similar to say a standard gle (non amg) while in comfort mode? Say yes and I'll be at the dealer tommorow signing the papers...

having owned a few amgs now I've always known them to be stiff and no one ever really wants to ride in my cars with me. I can't blame them, which is why I've traditionally kept a c63 for myself and then a highlander for the family. Really hoping I could combine the two into one glc.

but seriosly, your honest opinions on ride comfort are this are really valued!
Old 12-30-2018, 03:51 AM

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
2018 glc43 AMG coupe

The small size of the glc is what I find attractive relative to the gle since I imagine it will be more nimble and closer to the c63 from the fun factor POV.

Right now I'm imagining the glc 63 rides almost as stiff as a c63 which would be unbearable for the family. My dream would be to have it ride like a Lexus in comfort mode and then a c63 in sport+. I doubt that's possible but I'm hoping that it could feel similar to say a standard gle (non amg) while in comfort mode? Say yes and I'll be at the dealer tommorow signing the papers...

having owned a few amgs now I've always known them to be stiff and no one ever really wants to ride in my cars with me. I can't blame them, which is why I've traditionally kept a c63 for myself and then a highlander for the family. Really hoping I could combine the two into one glc.

Its no where near as stiff as a c63. The air suspension, suspension travel and thicker tyres sees to that. In fact in comfort it's almost a bit too squidgy. (especially if coming from an amg sedan.) You know your in an SUV. Its no lexus comfort ride though. For me (and my two young ones) its a perfect combo and compromise. Pram, two medium suitcases and a few bags fits easy also.

"Sensibly, Mercedes-AMG doesn’t fight the inherent dynamic disadvantage of the SUV, giving it an air-spring and adaptive damper suspension set-up that prioritises comfort. The GLC 63 S delivers a much smoother experience than the rough-riding, slightly less expensive, and slower, C63 S sedan or Estate wagon."
Old 12-30-2018, 04:45 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2014 Acura MDX
GLC comparison

I previously has 2 Acura MDX's before getting a GLC 63 in May. I love the power - always thought that the Acura was a slug. But the Acuras rode much smoother than the GLC, even on comfort setting. A lot less storage space too. Fine for shopping, but not family outings. If you don't need the power, the Aura is half the price.
Old 12-30-2018, 06:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 263 Likes on 207 Posts
C450, GLC43

Stay with the 20" wheels and you'll be fine. If you move up to the 21s you will sacrifice some comfort and your tire choices will be limited.
Old 12-31-2018, 01:38 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2014 Acura MDX
Still very stiff

I have the stock 20" on my GLC 63. My wife would rather us take her 12 year old Scion than ride in my GLC. Even in comfort mode it is too stiff for her. I only have 4,000 miles on it and she desperately wants us to get rid of it because of the ride.

Old 12-31-2018, 05:22 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
2018 GLC63
While the ride is not your typical crossover soft, my family (wife and 5-year old) find the ride perfectly fine on my GLC 63. Of course I keep it in comfort mode when they're riding, and never really let it loose. We took it to our Christmas dinner at my family's, and the ride was just fine for us. My son falls asleep in my car all the time, and never has an issue staying asleep when i'm driving.
Old 12-31-2018, 10:45 AM

GLC43
I have 20s on my 43, and in Comfort it is still a bit stiff. I don't know how much of that is attributed to the Run Flat tires. As you know, it is performance-oriented so a stiff ride is to be expected. I think you should find one to test drive and see if it bearable for you. I am in NY and with our roads, you feel it, but we knew that going into it. This is a holdover vehicle until we need the size of a GLE or equivalent and I will replace my daily with the GLC. Until then, my wife has been driving the GLC and she hasn't made a single mention of the harshness of the ride.
Old 12-31-2018, 07:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 263 Likes on 207 Posts
C450, GLC43
Originally Posted by ppodell
I have the stock 20" on my GLC 63. My wife would rather us take her 12 year old Scion than ride in my GLC. Even in comfort mode it is too stiff for her. I only have 4,000 miles on it and she desperately wants us to get rid of it because of the ride.

Looks like it's time to replace your wife All kidding aside, ride quality is pretty subjective. OP needs to drive one to be sure it meets his needs.
Old 01-03-2019, 11:48 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 373 Likes on 292 Posts
I think you should be fine.. most of my clients have kids with their GLC's... not all AMG's.. ride isnt too bad.. better on a 43.. what about an E63 wagon more space.. fast.. awd also
Old 01-03-2019, 08:50 PM

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
2018 GLC 43 & 2014 SLK 350, gone 2016 E63 Wagon
I have a 2018 GLC43 (21" wheels) and find that it is great as a 'family hauler'. We do not have young family any more but we haul lots of 'stuff' to our cottage along with our adult son. We came from a 2016 E63s wagon which was a great hauler - seemed to be slightly more capacity than the GLC and of course was super fast as Shahul pointed out. I did not find the ride in the E63 wagon rough and no one ever complained about a rough ride. The GLC43 might be a bit 'rougher' (probably due to the run flat tires) but it really is not all that different than the E63 - both are still great vehicles form a ride and capacity perspective. I have never driven a GLE so I am not able to comment on the ride quality.
Old 01-12-2019, 10:05 PM

As others have mentioned, the ride is soft and comfortable in the start-up mode, different story in S+. I've never had any passengers comment comment negatively on the ride however the rear is seriously lacking in legroom. I drive with the seat in the lowest setting pushed all the way back, no one can sit behind me including my 12 year old nephew.