GLC63s, GLC63, GLC43 AMG SUV and Coupe (X253, C253) 2015 - Present

Anyone Cross Shopping 2018 SQ5 and GLC43?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-11-2017, 06:36 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2008 BMW 135i
Originally Posted by MB300AMG
Their reasons ranged from:

1. SQ5 looks classier/more elegant.

2. GLC43 is an older design (wtf?!?!) which is funny considering that the Q5/SQ5 looks nearly the same as the original.

3. GLC43 looks too aggressive/too much

4. SQ5 has more up-to-date tech (they use that virtual cockpit as justification, but GLC will get the double monitors during facelift).

5. SQ5 has nicer interior (yet they're complaining about seat comfort on the regular seats and of reduced material quality in the interior - which I'm presuming might have something to do with dieselgate).

Considering the SQ5 has fake rear exhaust ports, I think their criticisms are unfair, because fake vents to me are just absurd in general, and especially on vehicles at this price point.
Can you link me the post?
Old 06-11-2017, 07:17 PM

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
2014 Mercedes-Benz E350 4Matic Sport
Originally Posted by B00STED
Can you link me the post?
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-...z-glc-2922246/

Enjoy
Old 06-11-2017, 07:49 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
'17 Mercedes GLS550
I think they both look equally good in that picture. I have no idea where these egg comments are coming into play. I don't think either car resembles an egg? Pretty silly comments.

The Audi seems slightly lower and hunkered down; it's probably lowered to it's dynamic ride height per the adjustable air suspension (really cool feature).
Old 06-11-2017, 08:28 PM

I wouldn't go so far as to call it an egg, but I don't find the new one nearly as attractive as the old one. Granted, I've seen the old one up close in person much more (they're especially popular around the Boston area and I've seen a lot more lately, some modified) but there is something more boxy and I guess muscular about the old design compared to the new one.

Old 06-12-2017, 10:23 AM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
2015 370Z Nismo, 2018 GLC43 (on order)
One of the more striking features of the Audi is how they incorporate the hood into the "character" line. That's quite slick. Both cars have their strengths and weaknesses, but for me the MB edges out the Audi even if it is missing some gear for more money (in the US). I just think the MB is more refined in it's execution. Sure, the GLC43 doesn't have the option for an eLSD, but that plus the hood is probably not enough to sway me even when considering the $2500 I'd have in my pocket. I do like the look of the Audi and might prefer it over the Benz based on that alone, if they had semi-real exhaust tips.

Last edited by VET11B; 06-12-2017 at 12:16 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 06-12-2017, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by VET11B
One of the more striking features of the Audi is how they incorporate the hood into the "character" line. That's quite slick. Both cars have their strengths and weaknesses, but for me the MB edges out the Audi even if it is missing some gear for more money (in the US). I just think it is more refined in it's execution. Sure, it doesn't have the option for an eLSD, but that plus the hood is probably not enough to sway me even when considering the $2500 I'd have in my pocket. I do like the look of the Audi and might prefer it over the Benz based on that alone, if they had semi-real exhaust tips.
I see where you're coming from, but personally fake exhaust tips are a deal breaker for me.

I do wish the GLC43 also got 4Matic+ rather than having a fixed distribution like the current models. You think it'll get an upgrade for the facelift or the next generation?
Old 06-12-2017, 12:20 PM

Yeah, I have the same train of thought on the fake exhaust. The rest of it could be perfect, which I think it is, and this one miscue totally ruins it for me.

I think MB might add some features like 4matic+ and or the eLSD in the next gen, but I wouldn't expect it in the refresh whenever that comes. I think the refresh will get a modest bump in power, though. And on the 63 front we'll probably see the S added to the SUV version just to **** off early adopters.
Old 06-12-2017, 06:40 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
993, 996, NA miata, GLC
Yeah, I have the same train of thought on the fake exhaust. The rest of it could be perfect, which I think it is, and this one miscue totally ruins it for me.

I think MB might add some features like 4matic+ and or the eLSD in the next gen, but I wouldn't expect it in the refresh whenever that comes. I think the refresh will get a modest bump in power, though. And on the 63 front we'll probably see the S added to the SUV version just to **** off early adopters.
I thought our GLC43s have fake exhaust tips anyway? I remember checking last time a while back and saw two tips on each side as part of the rear bumper, but hiding behind that is one round tip connected to the muffler.
Old 06-12-2017, 07:14 PM

That is correct, the GLC43 has the tips attached to the bumper but not the pipe. The SQ5 has a chrome outline to make it appear there is a tip there but it's just filled in with a blank plastic bit. There are then turndowns behind the bumper. I'd be fine with the turn downs if Audi wasn't trying to make it look like the exhaust was coming out the bumper. It looks terribly cheesy.
Old 07-03-2017, 10:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Building a MY17 43 and MY18 SQ5 how I'd like them and they come in within a couple hundred dollars with the Benz being more. It seems like the Audi comes with a lot more for about the same money (electronic rear diff, digital dash, and Apple CarPlay/Android Auto). Now there are some things that are much, much nicer on the Benz and the very, very fake exhaust blows on the SQ5, but it's hard not to lust after the feature set the Audi brings.

Anyone else having the same thoughts? Also, MB hasn't released pricing on 18's yet, so it could be a lot more or it could remain about the same.
I'm cross-shopping the Macan, GLC43, SQ5 and waiting on pricing on the X3 M40i. I really like the last-gen SQ5 and was hoping the new one will be just as agressive. I have to agree that the fake exhaust on the new SQ5 is a head-scratcher for me. WTH was the design team thinking???
Old 07-03-2017, 11:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by B00STED
I'm not sure how anyone could think that the bloated, dated egg looks better than the GLC.
Same here. And I'm coming in with an open mind as I haven't decided on which one. Perhaps it is the color? I'd like to see both in the same color.
Old 07-05-2017, 09:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLA250
Faux exhaust tips on the '18 SQ5 were an absolute deal breaker for me.

I cross-shopped the Macan GTS. A well-equipped GTS would sticker at ~$80k - about $10k more than the MY18 GLC43 I have on order. The GTS offers superior driving characteristics (handling, PDK) but is lacking the advanced safety features of the GLC. Also, looks too much like a close relative of the VW Tiguan. Went with the GLC ultimately.
Old 07-05-2017, 11:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 167 Likes on 133 Posts
2021 Porsche TTS
I am currently cross shopping these 2 to replace my current Q5 diesel which I love by the way and wish I could lease again.
Both platforms are very similar in performance with a slight edge to the AMG as others have pointed out.
Interior wise, the electronics are better in the Audi and fit and finish is really close.
This is for my better half and one of the negative is that the Q5 has been selling very well in our town and you see them everywhere where the GLC coupe is a fairly rare sight for now.
One item that killed it for the AMG is the very low towing capacity as I use the SUV to pull a boat. We are now actually leaning toward the F Pace or the Alfa Stevio (we are leasing so I am not worried about depreciation).
The Jag just sounds great but performance is down a bit from the AMG and on par with SQ5. the upgraded electronic package with the digital dash is not as slick as Audi but better than the AMG. The interior is very stylish so you either love it or hate the different look. The quality is however a bit below both its german rivals. Looks are subjective but you can't mistake it for anything else than a Jag and that's a good thing in my book.
I have not driven the Stelvio but it is supposed to be the fastest SUV out there with a very low 4sec to 60 and for the speed freaks in us, that wins major points. The interior from the pictures looks really good with a some carbon fiber. The touch and feel remains to be judged but I will venture to say it will be probably similar to the Jag and below par versus the Germans.
Sorry if I made your choice even tougher lol.
Old 07-05-2017, 11:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2012 Jeep Wrangler, 2013 C250
Also cross shopping. I looked at the SQ5 and thought it was nice looking but a bit bland. Nothing really sets it apart from the Q5 in my mind. The dash height and layout seemed a bit odd and the touch pad was just weird.

I test drove a X5 as it's in the same price range. The engine felt slower than it is and the inside was so plain and monochromatic that I was turned off. FYI the 17 X5 was going for $60,500 hence not even looking at the X3.

The Alfa is not out yet and I need a car by December when my lease is up so no clue if it will be out. I'm told I'd need to order the GLC43 by end of August, beginning of September to have it in time.

It's amazing looking at cars after 4 years how much they have gone up plus when did everyone start charging for paint ??

Still looking like the Benz at this time. The Macan S is just too much $$$.
Old 07-05-2017, 07:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 301 Likes on 190 Posts
GLC 450
Originally Posted by emericr
I am currently cross shopping these 2 to replace my current Q5 diesel which I love by the way and wish I could lease again.
Both platforms are very similar in performance with a slight edge to the AMG as others have pointed out.
Interior wise, the electronics are better in the Audi and fit and finish is really close.
This is for my better half and one of the negative is that the Q5 has been selling very well in our town and you see them everywhere where the GLC coupe is a fairly rare sight for now.
One item that killed it for the AMG is the very low towing capacity as I use the SUV to pull a boat. We are now actually leaning toward the F Pace or the Alfa Stevio (we are leasing so I am not worried about depreciation).
The Jag just sounds great but performance is down a bit from the AMG and on par with SQ5. the upgraded electronic package with the digital dash is not as slick as Audi but better than the AMG. The interior is very stylish so you either love it or hate the different look. The quality is however a bit below both its german rivals. Looks are subjective but you can't mistake it for anything else than a Jag and that's a good thing in my book.
I have not driven the Stelvio but it is supposed to be the fastest SUV out there with a very low 4sec to 60 and for the speed freaks in us, that wins major points. The interior from the pictures looks really good with a some carbon fiber. The touch and feel remains to be judged but I will venture to say it will be probably similar to the Jag and below par versus the Germans.
Sorry if I made your choice even tougher lol.
43 has a 60 kg advantage in towing capacity over sq5 and F pace, 2460 against 2400.
Old 07-07-2017, 02:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AR Stelvio?

The Stelvio was mentioned. That was briefly on my radar and then I remembered why they pulled out of the US years ago. The dealer network is still small. Quality and reliability remains to be seen.
Old 07-07-2017, 05:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 785 Likes on 505 Posts
2022 Mercedes EQS 580
Originally Posted by Sincity
The Stelvio was mentioned. That was briefly on my radar and then I remembered why they pulled out of the US years ago. The dealer network is still small. Quality and reliability remains to be seen.
It will also lack luxury features like the Maseratis.

Old 07-07-2017, 10:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLA250
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOZnqnB6xDo
To be fair, the 2017 Ghibli includes many luxury and safety features/enhancements not found in older models.
Old 07-07-2017, 11:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 785 Likes on 505 Posts
2022 Mercedes EQS 580
Originally Posted by Vingard
To be fair, the 2017 Ghibli includes many luxury and safety features/enhancements not found in older models.
Yes but still not all of them.

Take the Levante: No V8, no HUD, no telematics, no LED headlights. Same for Ghibli.

Not having LED headlights or HUD is ridiculous these days. Even Cadillac and Jaguar offer these features.
Old 07-10-2017, 01:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2021 Porsche TTS
I was told over 5K pounds for the F-pace
https://www.research.com/vehicle-tow...ar/f-pace/2017

Originally Posted by Philamg
43 has a 60 kg advantage in towing capacity over sq5 and F pace, 2460 against 2400.
Old 07-10-2017, 01:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2021 Porsche TTS
I agree and that is the reason why the F pace is now on top of my list.
Anyone saw the recent British review of the Gulia vs the C63S and the M4CP.
It went in limp mode with a CEL and finally died... Not a good thing.

Originally Posted by Sincity
Old 07-11-2017, 12:21 PM

Saw the SQ5 in the flesh today and it is a very sharp car. The interior is nice as well; though, that trackpad looks a little weird. The fake exhaust just ruins the car completely. It is even worse in person than what it looks like in the photos. That coupled with being built in Mexico and Audi's shoddy reliability means there is no way I could go for SQ5 over the GLC43 even with a lower price, eDiff, and "more" tech.
Old 07-26-2017, 11:52 AM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
2002 W210 M112 | 2021 X247 M270 | 2015 Audi SQ5 | 2015 VW Golf R
Originally Posted by MB300AMG
I wouldn't go so far as to call it an egg, but I don't find the new one nearly as attractive as the old one. Granted, I've seen the old one up close in person much more (they're especially popular around the Boston area and I've seen a lot more lately, some modified) but there is something more boxy and I guess muscular about the old design compared to the new one.
Can't agree more. I have the last generation SQ5 and I am glad it still looks better than the new "Mexican" made SQ5

Originally Posted by stealth.pilot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOZnqnB6xDo
After 3 years of owning the Ghibli, the only things I like about the car was the leather interior. The Designo leather is nice, but still not as good as the Poltrona Frau leather. I also love the farting exhaust in the Ghibli. Not many manufactures can fabricate that remarkable sound.

Other than that, there aren't really much gadgets / technological features in the Ghibi.

Red on White vs White on Red
Attached Thumbnails Anyone Cross Shopping 2018 SQ5 and GLC43?-img_0897.jpg   Anyone Cross Shopping 2018 SQ5 and GLC43?-image1.jpg   Anyone Cross Shopping 2018 SQ5 and GLC43?-image2.jpg  

Last edited by blueC230K; 07-26-2017 at 11:59 AM.
Old 07-26-2017, 01:40 PM

Received 84 Likes on 64 Posts
X3 M40i
Originally Posted by blueC230K
Can't agree more. I have the last generation SQ5 and I am glad it still looks better than the new "Mexican" made SQ5

After 3 years of owning the Ghibli, the only things I like about the car was the leather interior. The Designo leather is nice, but still not as good as the Poltrona Frau leather. I also love the farting exhaust in the Ghibli. Not many manufactures can fabricate that remarkable sound.

Other than that, there aren't really much gadgets / technological features in the Ghibi.

Red on White vs White on Red
Finally, somebody on the GLC forum with the same designo interior as me. Please please tell me what you use/will be using to clean the white leather. My wife wears a tanner and it's super annoying to keep cleaning the seats. Trying to find either an off the shelf or commercial product to keep leather super white. Not sure why I bought white leather as I have a toddler and a self -tanner using wife.
Old 07-26-2017, 01:54 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
2002 W210 M112 | 2021 X247 M270 | 2015 Audi SQ5 | 2015 VW Golf R
Originally Posted by DameMD
Finally, somebody on the GLC forum with the same designo interior as me. Please please tell me what you use/will be using to clean the white leather. My wife wears a tanner and it's super annoying to keep cleaning the seats. Trying to find either an off the shelf or commercial product to keep leather super white. Not sure why I bought white leather as I have a toddler and a self -tanner using wife.

Haha good taste. Sorry that your wife use tanner products. I have leather cleaner with a rag in my door pockets ready should anything happens I have been using Griot's Garage for sometime now. It's easily accessible. You can pick them up at Advance Auto. https://www.griotsgarage.com/categor...ors+liquids.do

Definitely no jeans for the white leather. I will ask them to take them off if anyone needs a ride with jeans.

In all seriousness, you can get the leather coated from stains. I know a few M3 friends with the silverstone leather interior who did it and never had stains.

Last edited by blueC230K; 07-26-2017 at 02:44 PM.
The following users liked this post:
DameMD (07-26-2017)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Anyone Cross Shopping 2018 SQ5 and GLC43?