GLC63s, GLC63, GLC43 AMG SUV and Coupe (X253, C253) 2015 - Present

GLC43 resonator delete results

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-20-2019, 05:57 PM

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts
2019 GLC 63, 2020 C43 coupe
The only way I could share the video's was through Youtube, but here they are.

The following users liked this post:
Chrisk03 (05-21-2019)
Old 06-05-2019, 07:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLC 43 AMG (2018)
ASR Module or Resonator delete (or both!)

Hi Guys I'm new on here so apologies if I'm posting this in the wrong place but it seems to be relevant to the topic. I have a GLC 43 AMG with PE as part of the Premium + package option included. Obviously, as I think many others have found, without the Exhaust `button' you get on the C43 equivalent the exhaust note on the GLC 43 AMG is pretty underwhelming and so here I am trying to make it sound better... Question: Would the ASR exhaust module create the best bang for your buck (excuse pun) or would the resonator delete be a better option? has anyone done both on a GLC 43 AMG? ASR Module seems to be a simple plug and play option from what I read and the resonator delete sounds more involved... I'm not particularly handy around cars so I'm looking for a simple way to breath life into my GLC's exhaust note so any advice from folks on here who have tried and succeeded with these or other solutions would be much appreciated. Please also let me know if I have inadvertently contravened the code of practice with this post! Please let me know if I should add it somewhere else...
Old 06-05-2019, 08:57 PM

I would personally never cut or remove the resonators. That was sort of the reason why I made the video's above, and now I will share a recent video I made of me playing around with a Rover SVR at high speed(scroll to 1:30). Keep in mind, that the camera is located inside the cabin and inside a plastic case like a GoPro, windows rolled up etc, and you can still hear the exhaust note pretty clear. Even the downshifts. Sounds pretty good to me, and honestly so I don't attract attention, I do flip it into comfort or up shift quick when going by our brothers in blue. I can't imagine anyone wanting more, or for it to be louder, and I'm a straight pipe off the turbo(stay tuned for video's ) kind of guy. Now whether mine would sound different, or less with catted downpipes, I can't answer that. I would think a bit, but I've never in my life had emissions(knock on wood), so the cats were always the first to go. Now to my next point of why I wouldn't cut or hack, and not that I hope to ever have to go back to the dealership for anything, but I can have mine back to bone stock appearing(including intake system), and at the dealership in less than 3 hours. Four V-band clamps on the downpipes, and swap-a-rooskie back to stock. Granted, they can tell if the ECU has been programmed, but don't give them a reason to even look. Like showing up for service with exhaust on, big fancy wheels, or lowered. I would never even risk it, but I avoid the dealership at all cost. Unless your dealership is cool, they will look for any reason at all to flag your ride for warranty. Catless Downpipes are less than a grand, and the tune runs about 1500, but wouldn't it be nice to get another 60-100 hp along with the added noise? I know stuff like downpipes can look overwhelming, but it's just nuts and bolts. Drive to my place, and I'll help you with anything All my opinion and advice, so take it for what it's worth.

Last edited by 4npower; 06-05-2019 at 09:02 PM.
DameMD (06-19-2019)
Old 06-05-2019, 10:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
'10 C63
Originally Posted by W Gillard
Hi Guys I'm new on here so apologies if I'm posting this in the wrong place but it seems to be relevant to the topic. I have a GLC 43 AMG with PE as part of the Premium + package option included. Obviously, as I think many others have found, without the Exhaust `button' you get on the C43 equivalent the exhaust note on the GLC 43 AMG is pretty underwhelming and so here I am trying to make it sound better... Question: Would the ASR exhaust module create the best bang for your buck (excuse pun) or would the resonator delete be a better option? has anyone done both on a GLC 43 AMG? ASR Module seems to be a simple plug and play option from what I read and the resonator delete sounds more involved... I'm not particularly handy around cars so I'm looking for a simple way to breath life into my GLC's exhaust note so any advice from folks on here who have tried and succeeded with these or other solutions would be much appreciated. Please also let me know if I have inadvertently contravened the code of practice with this post! Please let me know if I should add it somewhere else...
Didn't know you could have the PE without the button.
SteinBizzle (04-25-2022)
Old 06-06-2019, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by bluejae
Didn't know you could have the PE without the button.

Yeah, I missed that. But same. The PE is available without the button?
Old 06-19-2019, 01:11 PM

Received 84 Likes on 64 Posts
X3 M40i
Originally Posted by 4npower
Yeah, I missed that. But same. The PE is available without the button?
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!! Are you (Bill) I presume on the youtube channel? Man you are a life savor. I just installed my Catless Downpipes on my GLC and I cannot take the raspy noise. I was searching for videos and trying to figure out how to fix this sound by: 1) putting back my resonator or 2) buying two "Vibrant" resonators and installing them after the down pipes before the Y-Pipe. With your videos, I will just put back my stock resonator.

With the BMS Intakes, Jb4 customed tuned, Resonator delete and now Catless Downpipes is a no go for sound. So for anyone trying to do a Catless Downpipe and resonator delete, do not do it. I can make some vids if you guys want to hear but it's embarrassing loud.
Old 06-19-2019, 01:21 PM

X3 M40i
Downpipes with Ceramic Coating

Also, I wanted to share that I got my downpipes ceramic coated to keep exhaust temps down. Here’s a few pics of the downpipes when I got them back from Jet-hot.

Old 06-19-2019, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by DameMD
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!! Are you (Bill) I presume on the youtube channel? Man you are a life savor. I just installed my Catless Downpipes on my GLC and I cannot take the raspy noise. I was searching for videos and trying to figure out how to fix this sound by: 1) putting back my resonator or 2) buying two "Vibrant" resonators and installing them after the down pipes before the Y-Pipe. With your videos, I will just put back my stock resonator.
With the BMS Intakes, Jb4 customed tuned, Resonator delete and now Catless Downpipes is a no go for sound. So for anyone trying to do a Catless Downpipe and resonator delete, do not do it. I can make some vids if you guys want to hear but it's embarrassing loud.

Haha, thanks man. That is my crazy azz. I like to do weird stuff and be the oddball lol.

There is this option too, and the kind of stuff I do for fun when I'm bored lol. I actually took it for a ride around town, and it was just ridiculously loud, but It was freaking awesome! Listen to those turbo's.... gives me a woody. I'd definitely get pulled over for noise. I have zero emissions, so I'm actually thinking of coming off of the downpipes and just run a test pipe out each side. Obviously on flap valves, and I was thinking flat wide pipe like on the G63 or Nascar. There's not a lot of power, if any, to be gained from any exhaust upgrades on our rides with stock turbo's, so it's a maybe, or maybe not. Depends on how bored I get.

Your only in MD correct? Definitely close enough to come see me, and check out what I've done. Do you do all your work as well? Also, I'm at the point now where I need to seal up the intake track as I'm sure I'm leaking boost. The vacuum line set up with the little round clips that plug in with the O-rings are garbage. No way those seal up, but I guess if you are stock, it really doesn't matter. Our complete system is run off of vacuum. First week of ownership, I attempted to install a boost gauge so I could monitor. Tapped into the wastegate line, which is usually the easiest and most convenient place.....No dice! I've actually never encountered a completely "vacuum operated" turbo system until the GLC 43. Crazy! There is only one visible line coming off of the intake manifold, and it goes right into a check valve. And the line is too darn short to really tap into it before the check valve. Only option is to redo that whole mess and drill and tap the intake manifold for pressure in general. I've already modified the charge pipes and put T-bolt clamps on everything from the turbo's to the throttle body.
There's actually a few free or very cheap mods that one can do to the GLC 43, but they aren't for everybody. I'm under the hood several times a week, so I'm all over mine as far as far as maintenance and love lol
I have a bunch of pictures that I can share of small stuff I have done, but honestly you guys would probably just call me ghetto or something. Oh well, enjoy these few pictures, read the comments on each picture, and go easy on me :/

My version of the $400 BMS kit. Ram Air!

This is the little plastic deflector that shoots the air down and away from the intake. If you remove this, even on a factory set up, you will still get bugs and garbage in you intake track. I just pull the filters off and wash them every week.

The panel removed. Takes maybe 30 seconds.

This is the view with the deflector still in place. Where's my air filters...

Oh, there they are. Picture taken pretty low towards the ground, so the air has no choice but to go directly into the filters. If anything it's allowing cooler air through.

Factory charge pipes, and they are actually good to go as most turbo systems use rubber flex pipes. Just get them sealed up. Once again, no way that "fork" clamp and the O-rings are holding over 20psi.

But the good news is, you can just trim the raised section of the pipe until it leaves a small lip so the T-bolts can tighten down.

Trimmed and ready to go back on with new connections and T-bolts

The two charge pipes going into the intercooler. Once again, T-bolts

This is the mess of intake vacuum tubing that has to go.

I'm pretty sure this is the boost controller, or where the boost is controlled. All operating from a vacuum pump, not turbo pressure. Garbage!
The following 2 users liked this post by 4npower:
Chrisk03 (06-20-2019), lanoipat (06-20-2019)
Old 06-20-2019, 02:38 PM

X3 M40i
Originally Posted by 4npower
Haha, thanks man. That is my crazy azz. I like to do weird stuff and be the oddball lol.

There is this option too, and the kind of stuff I do for fun when I'm bored lol. I actually took it for a ride around town, and it was just ridiculously loud, but It was freaking awesome! Listen to those turbo's.... gives me a woody. I'd definitely get pulled over for noise. I have zero emissions, so I'm actually thinking of coming off of the downpipes and just run a test pipe out each side. Obviously on flap valves, and I was thinking flat wide pipe like on the G63 or Nascar. There's not a lot of power, if any, to be gained from any exhaust upgrades on our rides with stock turbo's, so it's a maybe, or maybe not. Depends on how bored I get.

Your only in MD correct? Definitely close enough to come see me, and check out what I've done. Do you do all your work as well? Also, I'm at the point now where I need to seal up the intake track as I'm sure I'm leaking boost. The vacuum line set up with the little round clips that plug in with the O-rings are garbage. No way those seal up, but I guess if you are stock, it really doesn't matter. Our complete system is run off of vacuum. First week of ownership, I attempted to install a boost gauge so I could monitor. Tapped into the wastegate line, which is usually the easiest and most convenient place.....No dice! I've actually never encountered a completely "vacuum operated" turbo system until the GLC 43. Crazy! There is only one visible line coming off of the intake manifold, and it goes right into a check valve. And the line is too darn short to really tap into it before the check valve. Only option is to redo that whole mess and drill and tap the intake manifold for pressure in general. I've already modified the charge pipes and put T-bolt clamps on everything from the turbo's to the throttle body.
There's actually a few free or very cheap mods that one can do to the GLC 43, but they aren't for everybody. I'm under the hood several times a week, so I'm all over mine as far as far as maintenance and love lol
I have a bunch of pictures that I can share of small stuff I have done, but honestly you guys would probably just call me ghetto or something. Oh well, enjoy these few pictures, read the comments on each picture, and go easy on me :/

https://youtu.be/W1bBvizjHPU https://youtu.be/VLcF-9lxfQI

My version of the $400 BMS kit. Ram Air!

This is the little plastic deflector that shoots the air down and away from the intake. If you remove this, even on a factory set up, you will still get bugs and garbage in you intake track. I just pull the filters off and wash them every week.

The panel removed. Takes maybe 30 seconds.

This is the view with the deflector still in place. Where's my air filters...

Oh, there they are. Picture taken pretty low towards the ground, so the air has no choice but to go directly into the filters. If anything it's allowing cooler air through.

Factory charge pipes, and they are actually good to go as most turbo systems use rubber flex pipes. Just get them sealed up. Once again, no way that "fork" clamp and the O-rings are holding over 20psi.

But the good news is, you can just trim the raised section of the pipe until it leaves a small lip so the T-bolts can tighten down.

Trimmed and ready to go back on with new connections and T-bolts

The two charge pipes going into the intercooler. Once again, T-bolts

This is the mess of intake vacuum tubing that has to go.

I'm pretty sure this is the boost controller, or where the boost is controlled. All operating from a vacuum pump, not turbo pressure. Garbage!
Wow, that was a lot to digest.

I live in DC now but I am not far from MD. My cousin lives in Hanover, PA and I visit him often (if you are near there). You did some awesome work!!! At least you are going out of your way to try and modify our platform. Not many people in here are modding except the 63 guys. I have done a few things like lowering the truck on links & amazon module, ceramic brakes, BMS intakes, BMS jb4, resonator delete, pedal tuner down pipes and BMC on order. My truck is pretty fast considering I am not running e30 or e85 and using the higher octane custom maps. When I get my BMC I will look into connecting the JB4 fuel wires to go to higher maps. Besides that I have done a bunch of cosmetic stuff on my truck and I am pretty hand's on if I have the necessary tools. I completed the LED to dual LED headlight retro fit and removed the bumpers a few times to mess with suspension setup and stuff. I would have installed the downpipes myself if I had a lift. I may look into ordering a pair of charge pipes and getting them ceramic coated too.

I am going to my muffler shop this Friday/Tomorrow to see about adding resonators after the downpipes to muffle the sound before the Y-Pipe. If that doesn't work then I will be bringing my OEM resonator as backup. I don't mind the loud sound of exhaust, I just don't want to hear that raspy sound.

Please share info as you are finding more tuning and fix-it ideas for the GLC. Oh and if you are not too far out in PA, let's definitely hook up!
Chrisk03 (06-20-2019)
Old 06-20-2019, 03:59 PM

Wow, that was a lot to digest.
I live in DC now but I am not far from MD. My cousin lives in Hanover, PA and I visit him often (if you are near there). You did some awesome work!!! At least you are going out of your way to try and modify our platform. Not many people in here are modding except the 63 guys. I have done a few things like lowering the truck on links & amazon module, ceramic brakes, BMS intakes, BMS jb4, resonator delete, pedal tuner down pipes and BMC on order. My truck is pretty fast considering I am not running e30 or e85 and using the higher octane custom maps. When I get my BMC I will look into connecting the JB4 fuel wires to go to higher maps. Besides that I have done a bunch of cosmetic stuff on my truck and I am pretty hand's on if I have the necessary tools. I completed the LED to dual LED headlight retro fit and removed the bumpers a few times to mess with suspension setup and stuff. I would have installed the downpipes myself if I had a lift. I may look into ordering a pair of charge pipes and getting them ceramic coated too.
Please share info as you are finding more tuning and fix-it ideas for the GLC. Oh and if you are not too far out in PA, let's definitely hook up!
Yeah man, drive another mile or two up 94, and my shop is 200 yards before Cross Keys(30/94). I'm actually closer to Hanover than New Oxford.
A lift to do the downpipes? Sh it dude, all I wished I had was an extra set of hands to get the upper V-band started while it was held in place and rotated from the bottom. I messed with it for 30 minutes until I ended up making a jig to hold them in place from the bottom using my transmission jack, a wrench, and a block of wood so I could start the clamps from the top lol. It's really a strait forward job doing the downpipes. With two people, I can't see it taking more than an hour or two. I used ramps, raised the air ride all the way up, and used a couple jacks, and jack stands to support everything I could for extra safety. Plenty of space.
I can do anything mechanical to my ride, but my general knowledge is 10-15 years behind the times. It's the electronics part of it all that I don't understand, and you sound like you know about that stuff. I had a HKS VPC and a Apexi AFC-R on my supra back in the day. That and a dyno or flat road was all that was needed back then haha. All I have is the Eurocharged tune now, but I'm not opposed to going a different direction if I can get more, or the same but with more functions/options. I would like more ability to datalog and/or make slight adjustments on my own. All that BMS stuff you mention is like Chinese to me. I can read what it says on the page, but I didn't even know you could tune your pedal. How exactly does that work? lol. I really know nothing about any of it, or have never even seen it function in person. I'm also not one to read 100's of posts on the internet, so that isn't helping gain knowledge. We have a E85 option? lol. That's what I mean, I need someone with a bit more knowledge about the platform in general. Not exactly a ton of GLC's lurking in the area to meet up with and compare stuff.

Chrisk03 (06-20-2019)
Old 04-21-2022, 03:48 PM

GLC 43 2018
Hey Bluejae -

I have the regular exhaust and did the resonator delete. I bought my truck in April 2017 and the PE exhaust was not out at the time. With the resonator delete, there's no drone what so ever. You can change how the exhaust sounds by switching modes between Comfort and Sport+. In comfort mode its still quiet but you can tell the exhaust has been modified. In Sport+ it's nice and loud. I would say just a tad bit louder than PE equipped GLCs. I completely forgot that I have some videos up on a youtube channel if you want to hear it. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCB..._as=subscriber

I now have Mike's Customs Catless Downpipes that I sent off to get Ceramic Coating by Jet-hot.com. Once I get them back in about a week or so, I will install them and post some more videos.
Hey, I see you did a resonator delete. You mention that the sound changes based on whether you are comfort or sport etc. can I ask you how the sound changes - do you have valves somewhere that open/close?
Old 04-22-2022, 11:11 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
AMG GLC 43
Originally Posted by birdmanf16
I usually like a louder car than this. Does the resonator delete make it 10,20,50% louder? And more importantly....how bad is the drone in the car after it is removed! Thanks
I had a resonator delete on my 2013 S4 and it made it probably 20-30% louder without a drone... but that car was super- and not turbocharged so I am not sure if that makes a difference.

I am assuming you don't have the optional "Performance Exhaust" but if you do, this is the best solution without messing with the warranty: https://renntech-store.com/evm-253-40/

Good luck.
Old 04-22-2022, 11:31 AM

GLC 43 2018
Let me rephrase. The std GLC43 exhaust on my car appears to have no valves. So if I do a resonator delete, as per the original poster, how did your sound change between Sport+ mode and Comfrot mode? Surely without valves, the sound would remain the same in all modes?