GLC63s, GLC63, GLC43 AMG SUV and Coupe (X253, C253) 2015 - Present

GLC43 21 inch rims are wonderful

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-24-2017, 04:15 PM

Received 48 Likes on 30 Posts
Mercedes GLC43
GLC43 21 inch rims are wonderful

I've read a lot of speculation about the upgraded 21 inch wheels being a rough ride or not worth getting. I own a GLC43 with the 21 inch rims. When I ordered the car it was at a stage of production where everything could be changed except the wheels which were already locked in to be the 21 inch versions. It was a case of:

"oh, go on then. I wasn't going to get them but you talked me into it"

I have to say that 9 months later these wheels continue to be the most striking feature of my GLC43. I saw a GLC43 with regular 20 inch wheels at a dealership yesterday and thought with those high sidewalls they don't look nearly as nice as the low profile 21 inches. The 21 inch rims with black paint look badd *** - just like an AMG should!

There's also been a lot of talk about the "rough ride". The ride is not rough at all - even on northern California roads which are fairly poor quality and in disrepair.
If you're planning to get a GLC43 or 63, and toying with the 21 inch wheels but dissuaded by the speculation you may have read - ignore it. The 21 inch wheels are great and the most striking feature of the car. They look especially good with a black paint job.

GLC 21" wheels
Old 11-24-2017, 10:29 PM

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts
GLC43, GTI, X3, Mazda3
Originally Posted by rihallix
I've read a lot of speculation about the upgraded 21 inch wheels being a rough ride or not worth getting. I own a GLC43 with the 21 inch rims. When I ordered the car it was at a stage of production where everything could be changed except the wheels which were already locked in to be the 21 inch versions. It was a case of:

I have to say that 9 months later these wheels continue to be the most striking feature of my GLC43. I saw a GLC43 with regular 20 inch wheels at a dealership yesterday and thought with those high sidewalls they don't look nearly as nice as the low profile 21 inches. The 21 inch rims with black paint look badd *** - just like an AMG should!

There's also been a lot of talk about the "rough ride". The ride is not rough at all - even on northern California roads which are fairly poor quality and in disrepair.
If you're planning to get a GLC43 or 63, and toying with the 21 inch wheels but dissuaded by the speculation you may have read - ignore it. The 21 inch wheels are great and the most striking feature of the car. They look especially good with a black paint job.

GLC 21" wheels
Thanks for the info and good to hear. I’ll hopefully agree with you when I pick up my 43 tomorrow with those exact wheels.
Old 11-24-2017, 11:14 PM

Mercedes GLC43
You have a treat in store tomorrow. Send photos - the 21 inch rims make the GLC43.
Old 11-25-2017, 04:29 PM

Mercedes GLC43
Originally Posted by Chrisk03
Thanks for the info and good to hear. I’ll hopefully agree with you when I pick up my 43 tomorrow with those exact wheels.
Hope you’re enjoying your AMG now! Send a photo and try to keep the revs down for the first 1,000 miles and no Sport or Sport Plus yet.

also please be candid: what do you think of the ride with the 21 inch rims? Tell it like it is. I’m interested and happy for you if you concur or disagree.
Old 11-25-2017, 09:45 PM

GLC43, GTI, X3, Mazda3
Hope you’re enjoying your AMG now! Send a photo and try to keep the revs down for the first 1,000 miles and no Sport or Sport Plus yet.

also please be candid: what do you think of the ride with the 21 inch rims? Tell it like it is. I’m interested and happy for you if you concur or disagree.
I am and it was a great fall day in the Philly area, but was only able to put about 50 miles on her today. Will hopefully get some pics together tomorrow to post. Man, the first 1,000 miles under 4k rpm and no Sport/Sport Plus is gonna be tough. You can tell she really wants to go.

As for the rims, they look great and my car buddy neighbor was in awe of them. Initial impressions for the 21" rims/tires are great, but I came from crappy 18" run-flat, summer tires on my former Bimmer, so that is probably part of it. That said, I don't think that my mind will change on the rims/tires as I had her on various road types today (mostly crappy in the PA/DE/NJ area) and was grinning from ear to ear.
The following users liked this post:
rihallix (11-25-2017)
Old 11-25-2017, 09:57 PM

Mercedes GLC43
Originally Posted by Chrisk03
Initial impressions for the 21" rims/tires are great, but I came from crappy 18" run-flat, summer tires on my former Bimmer, so that is probably part of it. That said, I don't think that my mind will change on the rims/tires as I had her on various road types today (mostly crappy in the PA/DE/NJ area) and was grinning from ear to ear.
Myth busted! 21 inch rims look amazing and are great on the road.

you’re right Chrisk03 that the GLC43 wants to go. That M276 wants / needs to be unleashed.

send photos.
Old 11-26-2017, 09:27 PM

GLC43, GTI, X3, Mazda3
Myth busted! 21 inch rims look amazing and are great on the road.

you’re right Chrisk03 that the GLC43 wants to go. That M276 wants / needs to be unleashed.

send photos.
A little more harsh today, but attribute to the colder weather. High 40's/Low 50's today vs Low 60's yesterday. I guess they call them summer tires for a reason... Wouldn't change a thing with the rims/tires.

Full pics here: https://mbworld.org/forums/glc43-glc...ml#post7321125

One below to get you started. HA!