GLC63s, GLC63, GLC43 AMG SUV and Coupe (X253, C253) 2015 - Present

Need Some Perspective: How old are you GLC43/GLC63 owners and why did you buy them?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-05-2018, 09:48 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2018 GLC43
Originally Posted by Bonose
53 but prime driver wife is 57 at purchase. Had a lexus rx350 and prob would have gotten same except for that dam darth Vader grille. Tried glc 300 then amg 43 then went to bmw and tried the x3 and x4. Mercedes was better for us. Always loved how Mercs aged so well with styling. The performance of the 43 sold us. We are empty nesters with dogs so the extra volume of the crossover is nice.

I wanted a new truck
Wife said let’s trade her c300 and my 18 audi S4 for a new suv.
i was ok with it so we drove the Audi SQ5 and the GLC43.
Mercedes hands down winner Audi was a huge disappointment after owning the S4.
Long story short I just bought a new Toyota Tacoma double cab and my wife drives the truck more than I do.
She now claims the truck is hers and the
GLC43 is mine.
I am ok with that and plan to go to the driving
school as soon as the 19 schedule comes out.!!!!!
Old 11-06-2018, 08:44 AM

Received 68 Likes on 49 Posts
2017 E400 Coupe & 2018 GLC43
Thumbs up

~ 49... GLC43 - wanted the versatility of an suv but the handling and performance of a tamed sports car. the perfect overall package and best of both worlds.
The following 3 users liked this post by andrew e coupe:
Chrisk03 (11-17-2018), LongShot (11-06-2018), MB300AMG (11-06-2018)
Old 11-06-2018, 10:25 AM

2018 GLC43
Originally Posted by andrew e coupe
~ 49... GLC43 - wanted the versatility of an suv but the handling and performance of a tamed sports car. the perfect overall package and best of both worlds.
Took the 43 out today
Driving the 43 put a big smile on my face !!!!
Old 11-06-2018, 08:05 PM

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
2014 Mercedes-Benz E350 4Matic Sport
Originally Posted by bsmall1623
32 - GLC63, previous had a 2012 Renntech CLS550 and a 2015 S550. Decided on the GLC since we are expecting in February.
That's an impressive car ownership history! How does the GLC 63 compare to the other two in terms of ride, handling, etc.? Is it quite an adjustment from sitting lower down and do you think it's more or less agile?

Originally Posted by viper3ez
I would not say the sporty SUVs have supplanted performance cars. It is just that as more performance crossovers become available in response to the non-performance market adopting crossovers, people who like a little practicality with their performance would buy them.

I am 33. my first car i reaally loved was a 2006 dodge Magnum SRT8 which replaced a 2005 dodge Magnum R/T. I still have that car 10 years later, currently rebuilding the engine. It was my first true obsession.

I bought a Durango R/T with the 5.7L HEMI after my first kid to be the family car 3 years ago, but lost it to my wife in a hostile takeover, so I traded her Sonata Turbo for a 6.4L Hemi Dodge Charger Scatpack in Plum Crazy purple. After 18 months of hard driving, i traded it for a SRT jeep because I was bored and getting tired of bending low to put my toddler in. That was really an excuse because my brother has 2 toddlers but kept his B5 blue Scatpack charger and is doing just fine.

I am getting the GLC really because I cannot afford an E63 wagon as I have a preference for wagons. My wife also objects to going back to a Charger because she feels they are obnoxious or I would be back in a hellcat charger instead.

looking at the other guys who participate in this forum, i would say there are many different backgrounds and unique interests that brought us towards the GLC63 but the thing we generally like are the performance to go with the space.

I saw that thread and my advice to the lad would have been to get a dodge charger scatpack. it is a little more grown up than a mazdaspeed 3 with a lot more performance and cabin space.
Wouldn't the scat pack not be spacious enough for his dogs though? Great car, but I think the hatch bit would be a deal breaker for me if I were in his situation.

Also, I LOVE the E63 Wagon and it looks like a beast. Saw one at the dealership completely blacked out and it looked amazing. If it were me, however, I'd want a C43 Wagon (for the AWD) or a C63 wagon if they offered AWD for these northeast winters.

Originally Posted by iasm
Not sure if there is a normal anymore. I am 63 and have an nsx to play with but was wanting something sporty that can also haul stuff. I have an x5 50i on order at 105k but am also going to give the glc63 a look if it comes in before my order is locked.

As a side note i went to an exclusive bmw unveiling the other night and was really surprised by the age of the crowd. There was only a handful of what i call old guys like me. Most were upper 30s early 40s. made me wonder where they get the money to buy these toys. I am a cash only guy likely because i come from a time when you didnt buy it if you couldnt afford it. Is the trend now to just lease or finance and just accept the cost?
I read on a couple car sites (including Jalopnik) that people these days are financing 84 month and 96 month loans, so I guess that must be it if they're trying to stick to a specific monthly payment. For me it would be because I will have the funds because of both being a lawyer and having my family's business which I helped found, so I would take part of the profits and put money down and buy outright like you rather than do monthly payments. Still saving up for that though since things are in flux.

Also, super jealous about that NSX. I would take a look at the regular GLC 63 SUV. I've seen them in person and the interior space equals the E-Class, but is probably a little bit smaller than a GLE and X5. The weight difference is significant though, which I think will affect daily driving and handling.

Old 11-07-2018, 11:33 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C43 Cabriolet, GLC 63
Originally Posted by LongShot
75 here almost. Love performance cars that handle and are also practical. I live 14 minutes from the 'Tail of the Dragon', TN (318 curves in 11 miles)!

Twisties...
I did the Tail back in August in my C43 Cabriolet, great run. I am in process of trading off an ML550 for a GLC63,
The following users liked this post:
LongShot (11-16-2018)
Old 11-09-2018, 10:34 AM

Received 71 Likes on 47 Posts
GLC AMG 63
I’m 49 and purchased for my wife she’s 45. Considered the GLC AMG 43/63, Macan, and Range Rover Sport, and landed with the GLC 63. She’s didn’t need the power for the the little extra in cost the 63 made since, and we loved the coup very unique. It was the perfect size car for her with good safety features, and a good commuter car to the office/it’s looks good. Funny I got the sports exhaust for the times I may drive it, and I notice when she fires it up she turns it on.

I like cars with power, and selfishly upgraded her to my vices. I personally don’t care to have a really nice car to just run errands and drive around town. My commuter is my 2011 Escalade and it’s been flawless, and my fun car is my Spider 458 and my GT3 RS arrives at the end of the month. Cars for me are fun mountain drives and some limited track to drive really fast. Think she will drive the GLC for 5 years and put a 100k on it she likes it that much. Good luck.
Old 11-09-2018, 11:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 100 Likes on 70 Posts
2018 GLC63
Originally Posted by Maverick787
I’m 49 and purchased for my wife she’s 45. Considered the GLC AMG 43/63, Macan, and Range Rover Sport, and landed with the GLC 63. She’s didn’t need the power for the the little extra in cost the 63 made since, and we loved the coup very unique. It was the perfect size car for her with good safety features, and a good commuter car to the office/it’s looks good. Funny I got the sports exhaust for the times I may drive it, and I notice when she fires it up she turns it on.

I like cars with power, and selfishly upgraded her to my vices. I personally don’t care to have a really nice car to just run errands and drive around town. My commuter is my 2011 Escalade and it’s been flawless, and my fun car is my Spider 458 and my GT3 RS arrives at the end of the month. Cars for me are fun mountain drives and some limited track to drive really fast. Think she will drive the GLC for 5 years and put a 100k on it she likes it that much. Good luck.
That's funny about the exhaust... every time my wife gets in the car she says how much she loves the way it sounds... when I had the 43 (450), I think she said that once (maybe twice at the most).
Maverick787 (11-09-2018)
Old 11-09-2018, 12:09 PM

Received 57 Likes on 43 Posts
'18 Black GLC63S
My wife does not appreciate the exhaust and prefers that I drive in Comfort mode. However, my kids love both the exhaust note and Sport Plus mode, so I tell my wife I am doing it for the kids .
The following 3 users liked this post by Nationalleaguer:
Chrisk03 (11-09-2018), KingMonkeyJr (11-11-2018), viper3ez (11-09-2018)
Old 11-16-2018, 04:14 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
A Car...
  1. Not sure if age really has anything to do with it but I am older than you by a few years...The whole concept of "graduating up" doesn't make sense to me as I could just as well wake up with an itch to buy an M4 GTS (Jeremy Clarkson be damned, prices have tanked to the point where I am curious to see how that car is first hand). Ultimately, you are as young as you feel.
  2. I have car ADD, really...bad. If I need a bigger car to shuttle people around, I relish the idea of going shopping and playing car tetris in the garage.
    Link for effect: https://mbworld.org/forums/glc43-glc...part-deux.html
  3. The small SUV/Crossover segment is relatively new, but I don't think it has supplanted the Sedan in terms of sales and age demographics. It was just another way to appeal to owners of small SUVs and Crossovers from other marques. I still think the C43 and C63 models sell well...just as well as the M3/M4 platform. Bottom line, test drive the cars and get a first hand feel for what you like and don't like. The Internet is so enigmatic to me given I am so reverant and grateful for what it has done to help me put food on the table but I am so turned off by the lack of filter from people that public comments and forums invite.

Last edited by sumfungai; 11-16-2018 at 04:25 AM.
Old 11-17-2018, 12:34 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
audi q7
Originally Posted by MB300AMG
That's an impressive car ownership history! How does the GLC 63 compare to the other two in terms of ride, handling, etc.? Is it quite an adjustment from sitting lower down and do you think it's more or less agile?

Wouldn't the scat pack not be spacious enough for his dogs though? Great car, but I think the hatch bit would be a deal breaker for me if I were in his situation.

Also, I LOVE the E63 Wagon and it looks like a beast. Saw one at the dealership completely blacked out and it looked amazing. If it were me, however, I'd want a C43 Wagon (for the AWD) or a C63 wagon if they offered AWD for these northeast winters.

I read on a couple car sites (including Jalopnik) that people these days are financing 84 month and 96 month loans, so I guess that must be it if they're trying to stick to a specific monthly payment. For me it would be because I will have the funds because of both being a lawyer and having my family's business which I helped found, so I would take part of the profits and put money down and buy outright like you rather than do monthly payments. Still saving up for that though since things are in flux.

Also, super jealous about that NSX. I would take a look at the regular GLC 63 SUV. I've seen them in person and the interior space equals the E-Class, but is probably a little bit smaller than a GLE and X5. The weight difference is significant though, which I think will affect daily driving and handling.
Should have clarified it was the glc amg63 suv i have been waiting to drive. Drove a 50i for the first time today and seemed kinda fun but tame.
Old 04-27-2019, 05:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLC63S
1) I am 37

2) I had a 2016 M3, my wife had a black GLC250 Coupe, it got me interested in the Mercedes brand and I had always liked the idea of a wagon. I saw the GLC63S and thought that in the SUV shape it looked more aggressive than the Coupe variant. I also loved the V8 Sound. I then bought the GLC63S and upgraded my wife to a GLC43 Coupe in black.

3) I think that Performance SUV is where its at. Best of both worlds, love the ground clearance and the performance of the 63S is great.
Old 04-27-2019, 07:02 AM

2018 GLC43
Now sign you and you wife up for the
AMG driving academy.
Its free if you bought your cars brand new.
You will learn just how great the AMG cars are not only performance but safety.
Old 04-27-2019, 10:55 AM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
W205 C300 (MY), X253 GLC43 (AU), W213 E400 4M (AU), S213 E220d All-Terrain (AU)
I bought my GLC43 when I was 22.

Bought it because I needed a car that wasn't a diesel, yet had enough torque to tow a caravan for camping trips.

Ended up not using it much though - to date, it has only done 6850km since 10/10/2017.

I ended up driving my E220d wagon much more as it was a car that I could drive without babying it.
Old 04-27-2019, 12:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMW M2 Coupe | BMW M5
1. I just turned 29.

2. Currently in process of pulling the trigger on the facelifted C63s Coupe or the GLC 63s coupe to replace my current BMW M2. But leaning more towards the GLC as I previously had a C43 coupe already and other than the performance, the cars feel a bit too similar to each other.

3. For me, at least in Hong Kong it doesn't seem the performance SUV segment has taken off too much here. Likely because of the size and narrow city streets. But personally, i love how the GLC 63s coupe looks and i miss having a V8 powered car ever since i sold my 2008 C63 coupe. The performance SUV just seems like a very good all around car to have. Practical and fun all in one package.
Old 04-27-2019, 12:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 263 Likes on 207 Posts
C450, GLC43
Originally Posted by JW001
44, needed a car that I wouldn't mind handing the keys over to a valet when I go into the city and also was big enough to lug around two german shepherds with.
Barely big enough for 2 shepards. They must be on the smaller side.

For me, it's the smallest most fun car that I can fit my Newfy into. He has just enough room to do his little 360 spin before he lays down. I also like the lower tailgate and cargo deck. When I lower the air suspension it's easier for my old boy to get in and out.
Old 04-27-2019, 12:29 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by MB300AMG
So I turned 30 this year (single male) and I'm planning to be in the market for a new vehicle soon and the GLC 43 (maybe even a GLC 63) are top of my list. I had been driving a 2008 C300 for a long time and then a 2014 E350 4Matic, but while both of those sedans were/are fun, I frequently carry people and have had issues getting all luggage or other things in etc. on occasion, which is why I was looking at these small SUVs/Crossovers since there are no C43 wagons here.

In a way I was torn between the GLC and the C-Class, since I'd always wanted an AMG C-Class after first driving the w203 and seeing a C55 AMG speed by me on the freeway while I was living in Florida a decade ago. I still am torn a bit to be honest since I do like sporty nimble cars, but the GLC seems like a much better all-rounder (especially on crater-like New England roads).

Then I read this article today about this guy who is in a bit of a similar situation to me and he also felt he wanted a more mature car as he was getting older (though not old). He got roasted by most people on Jalopnik who chastised him and told him to buy Miatas etc and "more fun" cars. I felt they dismissed him and Jalopnik readers aren't exactly the most reasonable or objective people, so their criticism is usually one-track and can ignore the original point of the post.

Article referenced below:
https://jalopnik.com/im-getting-too-...oul-1830148890

BUT, that got me thinking about my own predicament and I actually became curious about how old GLC owners really are. Around Boston I see a major trend over the last year or so where every performance crossover (Macan, F-Pace, Quadrifoglio, Velar, X3, GLC etc) is driven by men of all ages and I'm quite intrigued to see a lot of younger males driving them. It seems to me like C63 and M3 owners kind of graduated to these vehicles since I hardly see those around anymore, and they were the "it" cars for guys my age during the w204/e92 generations whereas that seems to be less-so the case now from my impressions.

So I wanted to ask the following questions of you guys:

1. How old are you owners?

2. Why did you end up getting an AMG GLC (or generally, why did you opt for this more practical car versus something smaller like a C-Class or other vehicle)?

3. Do you also think that the small performance crossover trend seems to have somewhat supplanted performance sedans in recent years (at least in some places)?

All opinions welcome. Not really a post about me - just providing background for the reasoning behind the questions though all insight and thoughts welcome on that subject too.
I dont know why anyone would buy a sedan, ever. they are extremely inconvenient in every possible way:

small
hard to get in/out of
no proper space for passengers as well as cargo
low ground clearance so you'll be scraping it
the list goes on.

that being said, I'm 32 and own a GLC 43 and im planning on selling it. by far one of the worst cars ive ever driven.

here's a list, enjoy:

0. major turbo lag.
1. awful transmission. jerky as hell. not only in accelerating but also in braking.
2. sun glasses holder doesn't hold crap. good luck trying to use it.
3. like to put your cell phone between your legs? LOL, good luck.
4. most uncomfortable seats i have ever sat in. overly aggressive bolsters, hard, gives me low back pain no matter what i do to the seat. i do not have any back pain in other cars. bottom is way too small (unless you're a 130lb female).
5. having to pay to have parking sensors. are you kidding me?
6. small gas tank. although you already know this. European cars have small gas tanks compared to american cars.
7. cup holders... like those glass bottle drinks that are skinny? LOL, not gonna work in your car bruh.
8. oh another thing about seats, alcantara seats are the worst. getting in/out of your vehicle, you have to raise your @ss every time to adjust yourself because you can't just slide into your seat.
9. auto start/stop feature. the car always starts with this garbage on. so you have not only press a button to start the car but also to turn off this crappy feature that most people loathe. and you can't disable it either.
10. putting water as your windshield washer fluid will not work. even if you fill up the entire tank, it'll say it's low.

should I keep going?

save yourself the hassle and buy a compact economical crossover and a 911 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet.

Last edited by MBenz111; 04-27-2019 at 01:11 PM.
Old 04-27-2019, 04:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 263 Likes on 207 Posts
C450, GLC43
Originally Posted by MBenz111
I dont know why anyone would buy a sedan, ever. they are extremely inconvenient in every possible way:

small
hard to get in/out of
no proper space for passengers as well as cargo
low ground clearance so you'll be scraping it
the list goes on.

that being said, I'm 32 and own a GLC 43 and im planning on selling it. by far one of the worst cars ive ever driven.

here's a list, enjoy:

0. major turbo lag.
1. awful transmission. jerky as hell. not only in accelerating but also in braking.
2. sun glasses holder doesn't hold crap. good luck trying to use it.
3. like to put your cell phone between your legs? LOL, good luck.
4. most uncomfortable seats i have ever sat in. overly aggressive bolsters, hard, gives me low back pain no matter what i do to the seat. i do not have any back pain in other cars. bottom is way too small (unless you're a 130lb female).
5. having to pay to have parking sensors. are you kidding me?
6. small gas tank. although you already know this. European cars have small gas tanks compared to american cars.
7. cup holders... like those glass bottle drinks that are skinny? LOL, not gonna work in your car bruh.
8. oh another thing about seats, alcantara seats are the worst. getting in/out of your vehicle, you have to raise your @ss every time to adjust yourself because you can't just slide into your seat.
9. auto start/stop feature. the car always starts with this garbage on. so you have not only press a button to start the car but also to turn off this crappy feature that most people loathe. and you can't disable it either.
10. putting water as your windshield washer fluid will not work. even if you fill up the entire tank, it'll say it's low.

should I keep going?

save yourself the hassle and buy a compact economical crossover and a 911 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet.
The GLC 43 is far from perfect but claiming that it has "major turbo lag" pretty much sacrifices any credibility you might have had on the subject.
gravity101 (04-28-2019)
Old 04-27-2019, 04:55 PM

Received 71 Likes on 47 Posts
GLC AMG 63
Yikes sounds awful. Did you buy the car without looking at it? 63’s weren’t around to drive, but 43’s you could have tested the water.
Old 04-27-2019, 07:45 PM

Received 60 Likes on 47 Posts
Blk/Blk GLC43 AMG WAGON
Congrats to our lifted sedan (Outback Cousin) the GLC Coupe(lol- 4 door) for winning the lap time.

Last edited by affalterthought; 04-27-2019 at 07:53 PM.
Old 04-29-2019, 04:18 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
AMG GLC43
1. 46

2. I specifically chose a GLC SUV as the wife had purchased a GLC 220D about 3 months earlier and I loved it. I just wanted the same but with a bit more power for the day to day so went for the 43. We have run SUV's for number of years now as our daily drivers; Range Rover, Land Rover and so on and have been bitten by the bug of the extra space and higher driving position for us, our child and my mountain biking hobby. Neither my wife or I like saloons much so that wasn't an option for us. I like Estates but to date have never purchased one. Previously owned several coupes and two seater sports cars but apart from being weekend toys they just don't suit our stage of life nowadays for daily driving so my Z3M Coupe is exactly that, a toy for the occasional outing on my own.

3. SUV's are the number one selling class of vehicle in the UK right now, you see lots of SUV's of various makes - Kia's, Nissans, Hondas, Audis, BMW, Bentley, Range Rovers, Land Rovers, Mercedes and Macans; so it goes you see a lot of run of the mil and higher performance SUV's everywhere you go. Generally they make a lot of sense for families or those with hobbies that require the lugging of equipment. I doubt many are used for off-roading in the UK, they're not called Chelsea Tractors in the UK for nothing.

Last edited by Dustybottoms; 04-29-2019 at 04:23 PM.
Old 04-29-2019, 04:42 PM

Received 68 Likes on 47 Posts
C43
I do not think age has anything to do with the decision it is preference and lifestyle.

I am 32 and at 29 had an 2015 Audi SQ5 which I then traded in for a 2017 Porsche Cayenne V8 SD. I am currently deliberating a GLC63S or wait for the new GLE63 to come out.

For me I do a fair amount of miles and enjoy the higher ride position but do not want to waft around. Hence I have chose the sportier (ish) versions of the vehicles I have bought.

My wife has a 19 C43 AMG Cab and I can use that for days I want to enjoy the rare sunshine in the UK.

i however do not want to forego sporty aesthetics, ride and sound just because I prefer the ‘loftier’ ride height so the performance SUV segment suits me perfectly. I tried an E63S Wagon and loved it but I felt it was too low and cumbersome for which journeys I do.