GLC43 issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-25-2020, 11:44 PM
ygm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
glc43
GLC43 issues

Hello. I'm experiencing a number of issues with my 2019 glc43 (13k miles) - wondering if these are common:

* Grinding/sticky brakes. Making loud metallic grinding sounds when coming to a stop or moving off again. Often I hear the same grinding sound when completely stopped at a light with the brakes applied and the car lurches forward slightly. Sometimes the brakes stick after a complete stop without the hold function being engaged and the car will not move forward without applying a bit of gas.Periodically I hear the same metallic grinding sound when the car has been turned off. All of this is especially bad when the car has been parked overnight. When first turned on, even turning the steering wheel causes the grinding sound. It gets a little better after ~10 mins of driving. Otherwise the brakes seem to have plenty of stopping power.

* Loss of power - most of the time it feels like a glc300. Periodically it does go like a bat out of hell, but most of the time performance is unimpressive to say the least at both low and high speed. Weird observation - it seems to be better on cloudy days. ECU reset does not help.

* Jerky start in S+ - bucks and jerks off the line and is stuck in first gear unless I floor it. This is really violent and keeps oscilating no matter how steadily I press the gas. The only solution is switching out of S+. ECU reset does not help.

* Performance exhaust - very inconsistent sound, mostly high pitched screeching at higher rpm. A lot of the time it makes a single loud explosion (you can literally feel the force of it from behind) instead of the crackle+pop. It seems like gear shifts are delayed until the explosion actually happens.

Took it to MB Manhattan. for 10k service They kept it for a week and drove it for 30 miles. The only problem they found was a rust spot on one of the rotors - which is weird because the car is garaged 365 days per year. Did a couple of hard stops at speed to shear off the rust spot - no change in brake sounds.

The car is plagued with rattles (both doors and dashboard) Very disappointing coming from a 2016 e350, which was the perfect car during the 3 year lease.

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-26-2020, 02:59 AM

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
2020 GLC 43
I've got a facelift GLC 43 (Australian spec) and I have also experienced the jerky start between 1st and 2nd gear in sport plus. I am pretty sure it is due to the *extremely* sensitive throttle response which can cause your foot to unknowingly pulsate the pedal on and off which, in itself, further exacerbates the problem. I don't like using the word 'characteristic' as it is a cop out for poorly designed cars, but I don't think it is actually a 'fault' of the car, rather it is a design flaw because MB should have better set the throttle response (or whatever is actually causing the problem) to avoid this happening. You would need to get a custom transmission & engine tune to change the throttle settings amongst other things to fix this I would say. Quickest way to deal with it I've found is to upshift manually the second you find it starts to act poorly. I do this by having my hand on the upshift paddle ready to go when taking off slowly in sport plus (I've found it doesn't happen when you are hard on the throttle).

My brakes have behaved quite good actually, never heard any squeaky-ness or anything odd. That said, I do a bit of regular mountain drives and am rather hard on the brakes so maybe mine have been bed in better than others? Who knows, but maybe do some really hard braking to get some extra pad material onto the rotors? Worth a shot, otherwise just swap out the pads for some aftermarket ones that properly wear better and offer superior performance anyway!

I have never experienced any loss of power sensation at all, in fact I find the car pretty quick for where it sits in the lineup. Have you done some hard pulls and used the AMG performance screen to confirm what power and torque it is making? Perhaps dyno the car and check if you want hard numbers. Is it slow when you are also manually shifting? I find the car is particularly quick between 2nd to 4th gear when you let it run out to readline.

Performance exhaust sounds fantastic to my ears, particularly after installing the ASR valve module (which keeps the valves fully open). I go on AMG drive days often and have had several people ask what aftermarket exhaust I am running as it is sounds *that* good. Mine will also crackle and pop almost on demand when in manual mode and RPMs are at 4k and above (letting off the throttle). Hard cracks also occur on upshift under heavy throttle inputs. I know EU spec cars have the OPF/PPF installed which kills the sound so perhaps MB are also now equipping US cars with these filters too? Have a look at your exhaust as all you should see are the single cats (no secondary), a resonator in the middle with H pipe and the muffler at the end. When the valves are open, you've basically got a straight pipe....!

Regarding rattles, mine is pretty terrible too. I had a shocking rattle in the lower rear boot/trunk lid which I fixed by putting foam behind the glass and the plastic trim. I also have a pesky rattle in the head up display plastic cover thing which I have somewhat fixed by jamming some electrical tape to stop the contact between the trim pieces. Build quality is terrible in my opinion and not up to scratch for a car of this price.

Last edited by Sifor; 07-26-2020 at 03:03 AM.
Old 07-27-2020, 11:21 AM

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
2020 GLC43
Jerky start confirmed. I don't know it's in C or S+ but usually when I was crawling or going slow and it bucks like a bronco.

Other than that, the other problem is probably caused by Android Auto when the who system went into exception and eventually rebooted after like 5min of frozen center screen.