GLC63s, GLC63, GLC43 AMG SUV and Coupe (X253, C253) 2015 - Present

GLC Carbon Ceramic Feedback Please

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-25-2021, 03:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMW X5 40d
Question GLC Carbon Ceramic Feedback Please

Looking to purchase a '21 GLC 63S Coupe with carbon ceramic brakes. Love the look and do occasional track days.

Those that have them as daily drivers, do you have any issues with squealing when cold? A bit of noise would not bother me for first couple of stops but if incessant it might get annoying.

Did some searches and most seemed to love them.

Old 02-26-2021, 10:46 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GLC AMG 63 S
The ccb are great until it comes time to replace them. IMHO, I think that they are a complete overkill on an SUV.
Old 02-26-2021, 01:36 PM
KB5

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I have the CCB on my 2020 AMG GLC 63S Coupe and absolutely LOVE them. My wife's 2121 AMG GLE 53 has the Performance brakes (red caliper) as did her 2018 AMG GLC 43, and while those are very good my CCBs far outperform them in performance and feel. I had concerns about noise as you do and checked with my Mercedes service guy and he said that squealing CCBs were very rare.

I would highly suggest you research how to bed-in the brakes early on. My dealer had no MB requirements on this procedure. However BMW apparently does have info on this. Google it to find it. You will need an open road with no traffic to repeatedly stop and go a number of times to run in the brakes.

Also, the carbon rotors are fragile so if you do seasonal wheel changes do it yourself as I do or have a pro do it because its not worth to have these expensive rotors damaged. PM me for further details.
Old 02-26-2021, 02:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMW X5 40d
Thanks for the feedback and advice. Was able to find a few posts online and on this forum regarding the bed-in procedure so appreciate the heads-up.

Have heard that the ceramic pads last roughly the same life and have the same cost to replace as the semi-metallic pads that come standard. The difference really lies in the life and cost of the rotors -- about 100,000 blended road miles and $10k in parts vs the roughly 40k blended road miles and $2k in parts for the standard. Any experience on this forum with that?
Old 02-28-2021, 04:43 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2014 Acura MDX
I replaced the stock brakes on my GLC 63 with a set of ceramics from Disc Italia. The OEM brakes left so much dust that I was pressure washing the wheels every week (and I had ceramic coated them when I did my car). The set of 4 cost me $450 including the ware sensor's. Installation was $150. The book said it was a 3 hr job but I was in and out in 90 minutes. The key is getting a shop that knows the system (how to release pressure, etc..). Stopping seems to be a bit better, no fading. I now get 4 months before I need to clean my wheels rather than every week.