GLC63s, GLC63, GLC43 AMG SUV and Coupe (X253, C253) 2015 - Present

Overheating glc63?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-17-2021, 02:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLC63 2020
Overheating glc63?

I've noticed the fans coming on more and more frequently, but the engine/box temps always stay within good ranges. Weather in nyc is cooling down (50-70) and this is from just putting around the neighborhood so nothing really over 3k rpm or over 30mph.

Putting my hand on the radiators at the front of the car they all feel fine, apart from the unit at the very front that's mounted horizontally - anyone know what that does? It's almost too hot to touch.
Old 10-17-2021, 05:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,921 Likes on 2,622 Posts
2019 C63CS
Not sure which specific unit you are referring to, but there are separate radiators for the coolant, engine oil and transmission. The main reason for the fans to come on and run for up to 10 minutes after shutting off the car is the Hot-V turbo setup. It gets very hot in there, so the fans run to cool the turbos avoid cooking the oil. This is a very common phenomenon on all Hot-V engines. There are air channels to blow air over the turbos when the car is stationary or stopped. It doesn't take much for the fans to run for a bit after stopping the car. A short acceleration burst with the turbos making boost and then stopping shortly after may be all it takes. These engines do get hot. My garage feels like a sauna for hours, and I always wait for the fans to stop before closing the garage door to let it blow some of the heat out of the garage.
Old 10-18-2021, 04:01 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
AMG GLC63
Originally Posted by DG2020
I've noticed the fans coming on more and more frequently, but the engine/box temps always stay within good ranges. Weather in nyc is cooling down (50-70) and this is from just putting around the neighborhood so nothing really over 3k rpm or over 30mph. Putting my hand on the radiators at the front of the car they all feel fine, apart from the unit at the very front that's mounted horizontally - anyone know what that does? It's almost too hot to touch.
This is caused in part by the fact that some of the Mercedes M177 cooling system pumps DO NOT TURN ON until the system reaches 50 Celcius. Per Blackboost:

"Believe it or not, Mercedes does not even turn on the water pumps for the factory air to water intercooler system until temperatures have exceeded 50*C!!!"

So in colder weather, the cooling pumps might not even turn on, so the "post-drive fans" have to do the job. What you see is normal, unfortunately!
The following 2 users liked this post by larrysing:
JW001 (10-18-2021), W205C43PFL (10-18-2021)
Old 10-18-2021, 09:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLC63 2020
Have booked it in for a check. Have noticed the fans come on after shutdown, and that makes sense, but am noticing them coming on quiet hard early on - first 5min of driving lets say, and the horizontal cooler is too hot to touch. Did make me think one of the pumps is dead/blocked etc, then again, may not just be being turned on. Even after driving on the highway for 5min the horizontal cooler is super hot, and having touched it many times in the past I've never known it to be more than warm, even after a heavy hit.

Sometimes I think it would have been easier to get a rav4
Old 10-19-2021, 10:27 AM

Received 298 Likes on 214 Posts
AMG GLC 63s Coupe
Originally Posted by DG2020

Sometimes I think it would have been easier to get a rav4
LOL.....or stop overthinking it and just go drive the AMG like it is intended to be driven...."HARD"....
Old 10-20-2021, 05:33 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
AMG GLC63
These engines run hot.
I've just started opening my hood every time I get home to let it cool.
I'm waiting on Modalworks to get me a 3-piece unit - they are testing it right now, or very shortly.

I WILL beat the heat!!!