GLC63s, GLC63, GLC43 AMG SUV and Coupe (X253, C253) 2015 - Present

2020 GLC 63 Exhaust Drone at 1500 RPM

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-04-2022, 01:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMG GLC 63
2020 GLC 63 Exhaust Drone at 1500 RPM

Has anyone with the 2020 or 2021 GLC 63 noticed a very persistent exhaust drone at 1500rpm? For me it happens in all gears. It only happens right at 1500 and then disappears. But if you get stuck at 1500 on a hill or something, it drones continuously. It's not ear-splitting but once you hear it, you can't ignore it.

I had the dealer take a look and they confirmed that some type of disturbance occurs at 1500rpm in my vehicle (a 2020). They let me drive another GLC 63 (a 2021) with a tech and we heard the same thing. The tech investigated in the shop and said that the entire engine vibrates at 1500rpm in all gears. This could still be from the exhaust or it could be something. He wasn't sure. He said he would send a note to AMG in Germany to see if there is a fix.

The problem was identified maybe 10 months ago after I first purchased the car. I've called a couple times since then to see if AMG came up with a fix. I never got a call back. I went in for my one year maintenance today and asked the service department to check if a fix had been identified. They said AMG has not received similar reports from other customers--even though the tech previously confirmed that it is likely a design flaw. No fix available.

I love the vehicle. I am a long time Audi guy and was hesitant to jump over to AMG. But this GLC 63 had everything I was looking for in a vehicle and the handling and power delivery is awesome. I just need this darn drone worked out because it drives me crazy on my commute twice a day!

Has anyone noticed this? Can anyone replicate it? Any help you can provide is greatly, greatly appreciated. --MJ