Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-31-2022, 07:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 198 Likes on 137 Posts
2015 E63s AMG, 2020 GLC 43 AMG
Buy a Spare, or Stick With Run-Flats?

Hey Guys,

Just dropping into this forum on behalf of my wife’s 2020 GLC43 Coupe.

I’m mostly always in the W212 forum with my 2015 E63s. (The real beast in the stable! Lol) Does 10.4 qualify as a beast? Haha

Anyway, her 43 is up for tires and in looking at the cost of run flats for her 21 inch wheels, wondering if it makes more sense to just buy a spare space saver wheel and go with regular tires.

Anyone here try this option? Recommendations for where to buy a space saver spare? Pretty sure the dealer will be ridiculous. As I recall there is a space under the floor thats under the rear hatch for one. Need to check when she gets home.

So in summary,
Better to bite the bullet on a spare and get non run flats? Or stick with run flats?

Side note, I’ve had AMG’s (5 total) since 1999 and never had to replace a tire on the side of the road even with a nail or screw. We don’t really drive our cars on long trips.

Thanks in Advance and Happy New Year!!
Old 01-02-2023, 12:15 PM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
GLB 250 FWD
I'm not in the position for new tires yet on my 2021 GLB 250. I only have 13K miles on the (run flat tires). Not a fan of these especially going on long road trips, usually 2000 to 3000 miles for me.

Getting access to a new tire in remote area surely would be a problem.

I bought a tire repair kit and 12 volt air compressor for emergency's if the tire isn't damaged beyond repair. My issue is I have the 3rd row seat and there's no space for a spare tire which I prefer. Not sure how much of an issue it would be to remove the 3rd row seat to store one.

If I put a spare in the luggage area it takes up space and not sure if there's a way to secure it safely. Continental's policy says not to repair the tire if it's been driven while flat. They say there's no way of knowing if there is any sidewall damage. $300 + for a new tire and mounting is possible just because you had a flat and had to drive to a repair shop. Crazy.

My opinion for you is get regular tires and by a spare if you're keeping the car for a while. If it's mainly a in town driver, stick with the run flats and save the money on a spare. Spare tire and jack are available , $400-$500 though.
https://modernspare.com/product/2019...e-kit-options/
Attached Files
Old 01-02-2023, 04:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 198 Likes on 137 Posts
2015 E63s AMG, 2020 GLC 43 AMG
Originally Posted by wireman218
I'm not in the position for new tires yet on my 2021 GLB 250. I only have 13K miles on the (run flat tires). Not a fan of these especially going on long road trips, usually 2000 to 3000 miles for me.

Getting access to a new tire in remote area surely would be a problem.

I bought a tire repair kit and 12 volt air compressor for emergency's if the tire isn't damaged beyond repair. My issue is I have the 3rd row seat and there's no space for a spare tire which I prefer. Not sure how much of an issue it would be to remove the 3rd row seat to store one.

If I put a spare in the luggage area it takes up space and not sure if there's a way to secure it safely. Continental's policy says not to repair the tire if it's been driven while flat. They say there's no way of knowing if there is any sidewall damage. $300 + for a new tire and mounting is possible just because you had a flat and had to drive to a repair shop. Crazy.

My opinion for you is get regular tires and by a spare if you're keeping the car for a while. If it's mainly a in town driver, stick with the run flats and save the money on a spare. Spare tire and jack are available , $400-$500 though.
https://modernspare.com/product/2019...e-kit-options/
Thanks man.

It looks like there are not a lot of choices for tires for regular or run flats and pricing is bad for both at tirerack, Americas Tire, etc. because of it.

I can’t believe that the tires on this vehicle cost about the same as my toyo 888 305’s on my e63s! Mid to upper $400’s each!!

Thinking we will stick with the run flats as she mostly drives in town.

Thank you for the link on the spare kit!

Cheers
Old 01-02-2023, 08:06 PM

Received 65 Likes on 54 Posts
2020 AMG GLC 43
I'd rethink sticking with the run-flats. It took two years for any manufacturer to put out an all-season tire in both sizes the GLC43 requires (I also have a 2020), but Michelin finally did it with the Cross Climate 2. And let me tell you, they are MUCH better. They ride soooo much softer and are superior in every way. I didn't even bother with getting a spare, I just picked up some fix-a-flat and a compressor. But honestly, on the off chance that I do get a flat, I'd rather be inconvenienced for a day than ever have to ride on those run-flats again.

Two things:
1) if you do want a spare, modernspare seems to be the consensus on the way to go.
2) if you REALLY want more run-flats, I still have mine. Only 4592 miles on them. Happy to make you a deal
Old 01-02-2023, 08:19 PM

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
2018 GLC 43 & 2014 SLK 350, gone 2016 E63 Wagon
I have a 2018 GLC43 which came with 21” continental run flat tires. I had to replace the tires in 2021 which was challenging due to supply chain issues. I ended up replacing the Contis with Pirelli P Zero PZ4’s which are not run flat - they are self sealing. I have been very happy with them. My car did originally come with a fix-a-flat kit (compressor plus can of goop) so I still have it if needed.