GLC63s, GLC63, GLC43 AMG SUV and Coupe (X253, C253) 2015 - Present

AMG mct 9 speed upshift tune in full manual mode?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-20-2023, 05:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Glc 63
AMG mct 9 speed upshift tune in full manual mode?

Hi new to Forum,i.m getting the glc63 , when I test the car in full manual mode, the gear does not shift up in redline, not like my Audi S7, it will shift up when hit the rev limiter even in manual mode.

I understand it's the AMG feather in full manual mode , it won't shift up,I be driving the car in Manual mode all the time, but for take off I really like the car shift 1-2 for me, I know it will do that in sport manual, which is not what I want be in,is there an aftermarket tune which can enable upshift in the AMG 9 speed mct in full manual mode? The car also always starts in comfort mode, is there any tune can get the car starts on my individual settings mode?

Any advice be great, thanks 🙏

Old 07-20-2023, 05:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,832 Likes on 2,560 Posts
2019 C63CS
No, I'm not aware of any tune that does this. AMGs still have what's known as a true manual mode, which as you described never upshifts in full manual mode. The Audi RS models and the R8 used to be like that, too, but now the latest RS models do the automatic 1-2 upshift even in manual mode. I hate that. I want true manual mode like AMG and other performance cars still do it. The MCT upshifts automatically in the temporary manual mode. That's if you don't press the M button and just start using the paddles to shift. However, the temporary manual mode reverts back to automatic when coming to a stop or driving at constant speed for about 10 seconds.

As for starting in another mode, there are third-party modules that do that. As opposed to Audi you can't code this stuff yourself as MB/AMG protect all the ECUs. There are also coders such as BenzNinja, RJ Automotive and some others that offer remote coding services. I believe they can also enable this and permanently disable ECO start/stop. Personally, I like that my C63S starts in Comfort, because that allows me to ease out of whatever neighborhood I'm in, with comfortable shifts etc. and let the engine warm up first. I have my Individual mode setup similar to S+, except with the suspension in S and the transmission in M. I use it on the highway, open roads etc., so I drive about 95% in full manual mode, but still like the transmission to shift automatically when just tooling around town. Thanks to the AMG Drive Unit, switching drive modes from the steering wheel is so easy and intuitive. To activate the Individual mode you just have to push the drive mode dial. It activates I* from whatever your current mode is. When I start the car I immediately turn off ECO start/stop while waiting for the idle rpm to settle and also open the exhaust valves. Haven't found it worth paying for remote coding just to save pressing a couple of buttons while I'm sitting there anyway waiting for the rpm to settle.

Perhaps I would wait until you have the car and have become familiar with it. I also owned Audis before. Came from a 2013 Audi RS5 to my current 2019 C63S coupe. Very different animal and what I used to like about my RS5 when it came to the transmission and Audi Drive Select is no longer relevant with the AMG. It's a different level of car. As I mentioned above, the AMG Drive Unit alone changes the experience compared to the relative cumbersome way to change the Audi Drive Select mode. I liked that my RS5 stayed in the last used Audi Drive Select mode, but that was kinda necessary, because Comfort and Auto were kinda dull and the driving dynamics sucked, so I mostly kept it in my Individual mode primarily so that the sport differential stays in Dynamic. I've always said AMGs are more sporty than Audis even in Comfort mode, so I don't need to switch modes right away to enjoy the car. In case of my C63S it has proper RWD dynamics, not the fake sport differential, so it handles properly even in Comfort mode. Just a different experience overall in a car with a proper chassis where the engine doesn't hang out over the front wheels and then needs tricks like the sport differential to have decent driving dynamics and hide the terminal understeer Audis are known for. Can't emphasize this enough. Clear your mind of the habits you developed driving your Audi and prepare for a new experience.

Last edited by superswiss; 07-20-2023 at 05:08 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by superswiss:
BenzNinja (07-21-2023), TonyG3D (07-21-2023)
Old 07-20-2023, 05:10 PM

Glc 63
Originally Posted by superswiss
No, I'm not aware of any tune that does this. AMGs still have what's known as a true manual mode, which as you described never upshifts in full manual mode. The Audi RS models and the R8 used to be like that, too, but now the latest RS models do the automatic 1-2 upshift even in manual mode. I hate that. I want true manual mode like AMG and other performance cars still do it. The MCT upshifts automatically in the temporary manual mode. That's if you don't press the M button and just start using the paddles to shift. However, the temporary manual mode reverts back to automatic when coming to a stop or driving at constant speed for about 10 seconds.

As for starting in another mode, there are third-party modules that do that. As opposed to Audi you can't code this stuff yourself as MB/AMG protect all the ECUs. There are also coders such as BenzNinja, RJ Automotive and some others that offer remote coding services. I believe they can also enable this and permanently disable ECO start/stop. Personally, I like that my C63S starts in Comfort, because that allows me to ease out of whatever neighborhood I'm in, with comfortable shifts etc. and let the engine warm up first. I have my Individual mode setup similar to S+, except with the suspension in S and the transmission in M. I use it on the highway, open roads etc., so I drive about 95% in full manual mode, but still like the transmission to shift automatically when just tooling around town. Thanks to the AMG Drive Unit, switching drive modes from the steering wheel is so easy and intuitive. To activate the Individual mode you just have to push the drive mode dial. It activates I* from whatever your current mode is. When I start the car I immediately turn off ECO start/stop while waiting for the idle rpm to settle and also open the exhaust valves. Haven't found it worth paying for remote coding just to save pressing a couple of buttons while I'm sitting there anyway waiting for the rpm to settle.

Perhaps I would wait until you have the car and have become familiar with it. I also owned Audis before. Came from a 2013 Audi RS5 to my current 2019 C63S coupe. Very different animal and what I used to like about my RS5 when it came to the transmission and Audi Drive Select is no longer relevant with the AMG. It's a different level of car. As I mentioned above, the AMG Drive Unit alone changes the experience compared to the relative cumbersome way to change the Audi Drive Select mode. I liked that my RS5 stayed in the last used Audi Drive Select mode, but that was kinda necessary, because Comfort and Auto were kinda dull and the driving dynamics sucked, so I mostly kept it in my Individual mode primarily so that the sport differential stays in Dynamic. I've always said AMGs are more sporty than Audis even in Comfort mode, so I don't need to switch modes right away to enjoy the car. In case of my C63S it has proper RWD dynamics, not the fake sport differential, so it handles properly even in Comfort mode. Just a different experience overall in car with a proper chassis where the engine doesn't hang out over the front wheels and then need tricks like the sport differential to have decent driving dynamics and hide the terminal understeer Audis are known for. Can't emphasize this enough. Clear your mind of the habits you developed driving your Audi and prepare for a new experience.
Thanks for the reply, i.m upgrading to an SUV, just choosing between the audi rsq8 and the glc63 ,so there is no TCU tune can enable the auto upshift in true manual mode? The non AMG version glc I drove before has that upshift option. Anyone has done it please advise

​​

Old 07-20-2023, 05:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by Mc0819
Thanks for the reply, i.m upgrading to an SUV, just choosing between the audi rsq8 and the glc63 ,so there is no TCU tune can enable the auto upshift in true manual mode? The non AMG version glc I drove before has that upshift option. Anyone has done it please advise

​​
I consider going to an SUV a downgrade, but that's another topic. No, as said, there isn't an option to change it as far as I know. Yes, the non-AMG models don't have a true manual mode. They always upshift at redline in manual mode just like the Audi A models. They also don't have the MCT transmission. They have a regular torque converter automatic and the manual mode is quite dull. Not sure if you know what the difference is with the MCT. The primary difference is that the torque converter is replaced with a wet startup clutch. It kinda combines the best of a dual clutch transmission with the best of a automatic planetary gearbox, but just like a dual clutch it can be a bit jerky at low speeds such as stop&go traffic.

Last edited by superswiss; 07-20-2023 at 05:20 PM.
Old 07-20-2023, 05:27 PM

Glc 63
Originally Posted by superswiss
I consider going to an SUV a downgrade, but that's another topic. No, as said, there isn't an option to change it as far as I know. Yes, the non-AMG models don't have a true manual mode. They always upshift at redline in manual mode just like the Audi A models. They also don't have the MCT transmission. They have a regular torque converter automatic and the manual mode is quite dull. Not sure if you know what the difference is with the MCT. The primary difference is that the torque converter is replaced with a wet startup clutch. It kinda combines the best of a dual clutch transmission with the best of a automatic planetary gearbox, but just like a dual clutch it can be a bit jerky at low speeds such as stop&go traffic.
Sure when I gets the car definitely be getting a tune, does the 4.0 t engine have lots of potential, i.m looking for like an ECU tune and maybe meth injection kit? Does that improve power a lot?

I think the Audi just more comfort, for performance AMG better
Old 07-20-2023, 05:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
There are tunes, but most tunes just increase low to mid range torque/power, which is not really where you want it, because this engine is already very torquey. Increasing top end power requires larger turbos. The stock turbos are designed for quick lag free response, but they are too small to make more power at the top. So to make truly more power with the M177 engine you have to start with replacing the turbos, then add more and better cooling and go from there.

Yes, Audis are more comfort. They are more livable on a daily basis. Ultimately, I got bored with them and needed something more.