Question about Suede seats

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-09-2023, 01:41 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 GLK 350, 2020 GLC43
Question about Suede seats

Hi,

I'm currently looking at a GLC 43. I was looking at one with the suede insert seats and I was wondering if anyone had any experience as to how well these hold up. The guy said that they get damaged if they get wet, and I was curious as to real world feedback.

Also, are the buttons on the steering wheel (volume up and down etc.) replaceable? I'm seeing some wear on those.

Thanks!

Alfonso.
Old 10-09-2023, 02:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,920 Likes on 2,621 Posts
2019 C63CS
In my prior car I had Alcantara seats. Different brand from the DINAMICA in MB cars, but essentially the same material. It wears much better than leather despite some opinions out there. You don't wanna soak it, but you don't wanna soak leather either. Otherwise it's much easier to keep clean than leather and lasts very long. I have it at home on many of my furniture as well, especially dining room chairs, because all it takes is a damp towel to get food stains out. I now only have it on my steering wheel in my current car and love it.

Some people complain that it gets greasy on parts that are touched constantly, but leather gets shiny and slippery from the oil in your fingers, whereas the DINAMICA can simply be cleaned with a slightly soapy damp microfiber towel to get all the oil and dirt out and then brush it to raise the fibers back up.

The material is grippy, which can be good or bad. It's good, because it keeps you from sliding around in your seat, but it's also bad, because it bunches up your pants cause it's hard to slide around and find your optimal position w/o constantly having to adjust your pants. That was the biggest issue I had frankly. I loved the material for holding me in place, but it was a ceremony every time to adjust my clothing before I was comfortable. The material is great, because it doesn't get cold in the winter or scorching hot in the summer, but I do have to say I much prefer the Nappa leather with ventilation with my current AMG Performance seats. The side bolsters can be inflated for extra lateral support and the heating and ventilation keeps them comfortable around the year, and I don't have to adjust my clothing every time I get in. Nappa leather is also much more pleasant to the touch.

I primarily got it in my previous car, because I would have had to downgrade the seats to get ventilation. Something other brands do. Fortunately with my 2019 C63S coupe, ventilation was offered with the full Nappa leather performance seats and I would take this every time over Alcantara/DINAMICA seats, but if ventilation is not available then leather in the summer is not particularly pleasant.
The following users liked this post:
ThosHrubecky (10-19-2023)
Old 10-15-2023, 11:28 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 GLK 350, 2020 GLC43
Thanks for your feedback, it was very helpful. I ended up getting one without the suede.
The following users liked this post:
ThosHrubecky (10-19-2023)