GLC63s, GLC63, GLC43 AMG SUV and Coupe (X253, C253) 2015 - Present

2021 GLC43 transfer case refill/method/oil specification

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-05-2024, 01:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLC43 Coupe 2021
2021 GLC43 transfer case refill/method/oil specification

Folks, I have looked at the GLC300 transfer case refill method - and it does not apply to my 2021 GLC43 Coupe - as it (the 43) has what appears to be the same transfer case housing as does the S580 sedan. There is no oil drain set screw as evident on the GLC300 T/Fer case. The drain plug does not have the plastic hideaway tube that needs to be pulled out and pushed back up to be filled from the bottom.

There is a drain plug (hex key - no plastic insert - old fashioned remove/drain/reinstall) - and a fill plug that sits just to the passenger side of the propeller shaft spider. The fluid used is the blue tinted oil for the 7G Tronic (yes, my car has the 9G Tronic transmission but the transfer case takes this blue fluid - FE MB 236.15 specification - old part number A000 989 69 05 11 AULE - new part number A000-989-44-04-11-FULW). Yes, this oil was confirmed to me by my Mercedes Dealer Service Department - Mercedes Benz Lehigh Valley PA.

Important: Pump the fluid back in SLOWLY - as there is a casting bulkhead immediately behind the fill hole thread that you can't see but you can feel - so you will have to fill painfully slowly with a hand pump on the 1 liter bottle. It will take about 600 - 650ml. Once you see the fluid continuously drain out of the fill hole, you're done so replace the plug (another hex key type) with a new dab of thread sealant (just the sealing kind, not the adhesive never to be removed again kind) - and you're done.

Probably best done at the same time as a regular engine oil change, as the transmission cover shield has to come off - and it comes off after the engine cover shield comes off.............!

Good luck - I did mine at 60,000 miles because I felt it was worth it as I had the transmission 60K service fluid/filter change done at the dealer. I forgot to ask about the transfer case at the same time - so it became a job I took care of.
Old 06-06-2024, 07:37 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,485 Likes on 2,114 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
Originally Posted by geza
Folks, I have looked at the GLC300 transfer case refill method - and it does not apply to my 2021 GLC43 Coupe - as it (the 43) has what appears to be the same transfer case housing as does the S580 sedan. There is no oil drain set screw as evident on the GLC300 T/Fer case. The drain plug does not have the plastic hideaway tube that needs to be pulled out and pushed back up to be filled from the bottom.

There is a drain plug (hex key - no plastic insert - old fashioned remove/drain/reinstall) - and a fill plug that sits just to the passenger side of the propeller shaft spider. The fluid used is the blue tinted oil for the 7G Tronic (yes, my car has the 9G Tronic transmission but the transfer case takes this blue fluid - FE MB 236.15 specification - old part number A000 989 69 05 11 AULE - new part number A000-989-44-04-11-FULW). Yes, this oil was confirmed to me by my Mercedes Dealer Service Department - Mercedes Benz Lehigh Valley PA.

Important: Pump the fluid back in SLOWLY - as there is a casting bulkhead immediately behind the fill hole thread that you can't see but you can feel - so you will have to fill painfully slowly with a hand pump on the 1 liter bottle. It will take about 600 - 650ml. Once you see the fluid continuously drain out of the fill hole, you're done so replace the plug (another hex key type) with a new dab of thread sealant (just the sealing kind, not the adhesive never to be removed again kind) - and you're done.

Probably best done at the same time as a regular engine oil change, as the transmission cover shield has to come off - and it comes off after the engine cover shield comes off.............!

Good luck - I did mine at 60,000 miles because I felt it was worth it as I had the transmission 60K service fluid/filter change done at the dealer. I forgot to ask about the transfer case at the same time - so it became a job I took care of.
Very nice job! I thought our cars' transfer case shares the same fluid as our transmission so tranny service also services the transfer case?
Old 06-06-2024, 10:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLC43 Coupe 2021
As for the GLC43 I have, the transfer case uses different ATF fluid than what's in the 9G Tronic transmission - the part numbers I referenced are not suitable for the 9G Tronic transmission. It was - I believe - the 7G Tronic and earlier transmissions that may have shared fluid between both the transmission and the transfer case. The transfer case on the 9G Tronic has its own oil sump - and a different specification of fluid to what is used in the transmission.

Last edited by geza; 06-06-2024 at 12:59 PM.
Old 06-06-2024, 03:54 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,485 Likes on 2,114 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
Originally Posted by geza
As for the GLC43 I have, the transfer case uses different ATF fluid than what's in the 9G Tronic transmission - the part numbers I referenced are not suitable for the 9G Tronic transmission. It was - I believe - the 7G Tronic and earlier transmissions that may have shared fluid between both the transmission and the transfer case. The transfer case on the 9G Tronic has its own oil sump - and a different specification of fluid to what is used in the transmission.
Interesting, I was told otherwise thanks for the heads up, guess my transfer case fluid is overdue then, time for me to get that changed soon.