GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

2020 V167 GLE

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 04-02-2019, 10:13 PM

Received 151 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon
IMO, those wheels should be just fine. I'm going to use the 20s from my '12 ML for Winters. You don't say what year your ML is, but lug bolts went from 12mm to 14mm in 2012, so I'm sure they are not larger now. However, if you get the AMG Line Exterior package (highly recommended), you will need 20" wheels minimum because of brake size.
I am glad you mentioned that... I have 19 inch Blizzaks 255/50R19s on my X5d winter wheels and thought I transfer them to a new set of 19 inch rims but since you said it wont clear brake calipers, I gotta go for 20s now. I will just sell the entire set of the 20 inch wheels/tires now.
Old 04-02-2019, 10:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 ML350 Bluetec
IMO, those wheels should be just fine. I'm going to use the 20s from my '12 ML for Winters. You don't say what year your ML is, but lug bolts went from 12mm to 14mm in 2012, so I'm sure they are not larger now. However, if you get the AMG Line Exterior package (highly recommended), you will need 20" wheels minimum because of brake size.
Yup, I did mention it's a 2012 new style same as yours, W166. I'm pretty sure back then I was following many of your posts as I was going through the same decision process I am now

Definitely getting the AMG exterior, still going back and forth on MNP Night package or MSP regular. I'm in Canada, so that's the way our AMG styling goes, night or regular.
Tough call for me.
So that means I won't be able to use the wheels then if 19" don't fit over the brakes. I guess on the old AMG package on our 2012 the brakes were smaller then?
Old 04-02-2019, 11:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,168 Likes on 839 Posts
2020 GLE 450; 2023 BMW M2 Coupe
Brake sizes

Originally Posted by snemi00
So that means I won't be able to use the wheels then if 19" don't fit over the brakes. I guess on the old AMG package on our 2012 the brakes were smaller then?
Uh, that would be a good assumption :}. GLE 450 AMG Line front rotors are 400 x 36mm. The '12 ML had 330mm front rotors; not sure if AMG package was larger, but the ML 550 of that year was 375mm, so that's a good guess.
Old 04-03-2019, 12:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Updated Dealer Order Guide 4.2.19

Hot off the presses, so to speak. Since the 3/14 one:
  • GLE 580 added (Q4 2019)
  • 22" RXS & RXT wheels finally available on 580 only
  • Black/Tartufo & Black/Magma Grey leather & White/Black Nappa leather delayed until 12/2019
Attached Files
Old 04-03-2019, 01:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The wait goes on without end

Supposedly my vehicle started production and was assigned a VIN on 2/21, almost 6 weeks ago and has been in status B4 the last few weeks! Production date was 3/13, 19 days ago. So, I contacted MBUSA Customer Assistance Center a week ago and have had a couple emails & calls since with no information. So after another call to CAC today I finally get hold of the "executive referral manager" (fancy title, huh), who only told me GLE production has been on hold pending parts and he is trying to get more information. He was clueless beyond that.

Over the weekend I also got on my sales guy and the dealer sales manager. and told them they need to get on MBUSA, as well. Today I hear from my sales guy, who had called Distribution this morning and was told my order would be given "top priority" and should go B5 by the end of the week. He asked if my MBUX Tech Package or my designo trim selection was an issue and was told no. Apparently the sales manager also sent an email to Distribution and the West Coast Sales team explaining that a long time Mercedes customer was very unhappy and, what was going on?

So, at this point I will believe it when I see it. I must say if Mercedes handles all orders like this when there are production issues they are going down in reputation fast (and I will help!). Why NetStar can't be updated with a realistic best guess production date when the original one is not met I don't know, but it hasn't been in my case. I'm trying to keep the faith.
I knew it was too good to be true! Response from Distribution to my sales manager's weekend email.

"Hi Dave,

Those GLE’s are holding for parts to build. And at this moment we do not have any eta.

Thanks

Sincerely /Mit freundlichen Grüßen,
Taz Khan
Regional Distribution Liaison – Western Region
Vehicle Distribution & Logistics
Mercedes-Benz USA, LLC

One Mercedes Benz Drive
Sandy Springs, Ga-30328
ETA Text Hotline 201 xxx xxxx
Distribution Hotline 800 xxx xxxx"

He asked if any options could be changed to improve the situation and was told "no."

Last edited by GregW / Oregon; 04-03-2019 at 01:14 PM.
Old 04-03-2019, 01:30 PM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Audi Q5
What does he mean by those GLE’s Greg...??
I knew it was too good to be true! Response from Distribution to my sales manager's weekend email.

"Hi Dave,

Those GLE’s are holding for parts to build. And at this moment we do not have any eta.

Thanks

Sincerely /Mit freundlichen Grüßen,
Taz Khan
Regional Distribution Liaison – Western Region
Vehicle Distribution & Logistics
Mercedes-Benz USA, LLC

One Mercedes Benz Drive
Sandy Springs, Ga-30328
ETA Text Hotline 201 xxx xxxx
Distribution Hotline 800 xxx xxxx"

He asked if any options could be changed to improve the situation and was told "no."
Old 04-03-2019, 01:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Production delays continue

Originally Posted by venkyszone
What does he mean by those GLE’s Greg...??
I'm not sure - the inquiry was just about mine. However, MBUSA CAC had previously insinuated the stoppage might be more widespread.
Old 04-03-2019, 01:38 PM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Audi Q5
I hate getting such Vague answers.

I'm not sure - the inquiry was just about mine. However, MBUSA CAC had previously insinuated the stoppage might be more widespread.
Old 04-03-2019, 02:38 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
GL 350d
Originally Posted by Baloo588
I thought the AMG 20 inch wheels came with 275/50R20 tires and the 21s have 275/45R20?
Same dimensions as for current GLS
Old 04-03-2019, 06:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
none yet
Unhappy

• Black/Tartufo & Black/Magma Grey leather & White/Black Nappa leather delayed until 12/2019
Now I am really not in a hurry. Mrs. H wants the Black/Tartufo. Looking at the good side of it, maybe initial bugs will have been worked out.

Last edited by jahummel; 04-03-2019 at 08:01 PM.
Old 04-03-2019, 06:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'13 SL550
Greg, Thank you for all you do to keep us informed. The delay on the interior is going to be a showstopper for me. Just asked my dealer to confirm (though I can see it in the order guide) because I'm not going to ask for my deposit back until he does. I really wanted one of these, but not waiting until December, especially since dates associated with production aren't really a strong suit of MB these days. I do like the look of the new Cayenne Coupes. May have to do a bit more research.

Matt

Last edited by BigHat; 04-04-2019 at 07:40 PM.
Old 04-03-2019, 08:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,019 Likes on 692 Posts
2024 Mercedes GLE 63 S..... 2018 Audi SQ5
Originally Posted by BigHat
Greg, Thank you for all you do to keep us informed. The delay and the interiors is going to be a showstopper for me. Just asked my dealer to confirm (though I can see it in the order guide) because I'm not going to ask for my deposit back until he does. I really wanted one of these, but not waiting until December, especially since dates associated with production aren't really a strong suit of MB these days. I do like the look of the new Cayenne Coupes. May have to do a bit more research.
Matt
I started sniffing around the Cayenne a few weeks ago. They are very nice and would be about as close to a Sports Car as you can get in a Midsize SUV. They are spendy though...I got to about $110k without much effort. The customization options are very robust.

Last edited by Ron.s; 04-04-2019 at 09:39 AM.
Old 04-04-2019, 09:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cayenne

Originally Posted by Ron.s
I started sniffing around the Cayenne a few weeks ago. They are very nice and would be about as close to a Sports Car as you can get in a Midsize SUV. They are speedy though...I got to about $110k without much effort. The customization options are very robust.
Porsche has refined "optional" to an art form. With the Cayenne starting at $65,700 and the Coupe at $75,300 it's not hard to reach $100k. Sport tailpipes in silver or black? That will be $950, please!
Old 04-04-2019, 11:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 301 Likes on 190 Posts
GLC 450
In the UK there are very few options available on the 450 and they are in packages, Premium, Premium plus 2 choices of leather, 2 choices of wheels and the usual colours + 4 packages - Driving assistant, Tech, Tech plus and offroad. I specced my car up with all but off road. To spec an X5 4.0i to same standard I had to chose 36 options.

Makes a big difference on resale because you don't get a lot back for the options.
Old 04-04-2019, 04:59 PM

'13 SL550
Originally Posted by Philamg
In the UK there are very few options available on the 450 and they are in packages, Premium, Premium plus 2 choices of leather, 2 choices of wheels and the usual colours + 4 packages - Driving assistant, Tech, Tech plus and offroad. I specced my car up with all but off road. To spec an X5 4.0i to same standard I had to chose 36 options.

Makes a big difference on resale because you don't get a lot back for the options.
The Japanese makers are the best at packaging options, Porsche is almost an embarrassment. I'm sure some love the flexibility, but until Porsche revised their website, I found it nearly impossible to spec out a car without dealer assistance. There are a few bundled packages now, but the "ala carte" items are very pricey and many should be standard on a car in this price range, especially safety-related options.
Old 04-04-2019, 06:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 289 Likes on 202 Posts
2013 650i Coupe, 2010 IS250 AWD, 1999 S500
It's no embarrassment IMO, it's done on purpose. You have to understand it isn't that Porsche can't package their options better, they don't have to. Big difference. The Porsche name is so legendary and the engineering so exacting that they can sell you the body, engine, transmission and wheels as the "experience" and then charge extra for everything else. They are the most profitable car company on the planet for this reason. The upside is that Porsches are more unique/bespoke vs MB/BMW/Audi vehicles that have the same exact options on hundreds of cars. You can get a Porsche done any way you like it. Their website, pricing info is up to day withing HOURS of a new model being shown vs MBUSA who won't have it updated until after the cars are at dealers and/or on sale already. That's the embarrassment to me.

M
Old 04-04-2019, 07:12 PM

'13 SL550
Originally Posted by Germancar1
It's no embarrassment IMO, it's done on purpose. You have to understand it isn't that Porsche can't package their options better, they don't have to. Big difference. The Porsche name is so legendary and the engineering so exacting that they can sell you the body, engine, transmission and wheels as the "experience" and then charge extra for everything else. They are the most profitable car company on the planet for this reason. The upside is that Porsches are more unique/bespoke vs MB/BMW/Audi vehicles that have the same exact options on hundreds of cars. You can get a Porsche done any way you like it. Their website, pricing info is up to day withing HOURS of a new model being shown vs MBUSA who won't have it updated until after the cars are at dealers and/or on sale already. That's the embarrassment to me.

M
Lauding Porsche based on how poorly MBUSA executes its website is an interesting approach. Having just canceled my GLE order though, I'm the last guy looking to defend MBUSA today. No fight in me for that.
Stand by my point that others have also made. You compare a base model Porsche with the competition and you think it's actually a similarly equipped vehicle in the same price range, but it isn't. Things that should be standard on a car in this price range -- and ARE standard on the competition-- are very pricey options on a Porsche. I noted the safety equipment already, but things like keyless access also come to mind.
As others have said, all they really do is create the illusion that their cars are similarly priced with the competition at first glance. This is very different from the point you make that I 100% agree with, by the way. Being able to order a custom exterior paint or opt for a lizard green tach bezel harms no one that doesn't want to do so. To each his own.

I'm actually going Porsche Cayenne shopping this week, so no hate on the brand. I have noted their resale advantage on some models too. But I will likely seek assistance in "spec-ing" the car to ensure I don't spend foolishly. I have also reviewed "in stock" vehicles to see how dealers equip cars for the average customer.
Old 04-04-2019, 07:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Lauding Porsche based on how poorly MBUSA executes its website is an interesting approach. Having just canceled my GLE order though, I'm the last guy looking to defend MBUSA today. No fight in me for that.
Stand by my point that others have also made. You compare a base model Porsche with the competition and you think it's actually a similarly equipped vehicle in the same price range, but it isn't. Things that should be standard on a car in this price range -- and ARE standard on the competition-- are very pricey options on a Porsche. I noted the safety equipment already, but things like keyless access also come to mind.
As others have said, all they really do is create the illusion that their cars are similarly priced with the competition at first glance. This is very different from the point you make that I 100% agree with, by the way. Being able to order a custom exterior paint or opt for a lizard green tach bezel harms no one that doesn't want to do so. To each his own.

I'm actually going Porsche Cayenne shopping this week, so no hate on the brand. I have noted their resale advantage on some models too. But I will likely seek assistance in "spec-ing" the car to ensure I don't spend foolishly. I have also reviewed "in stock" vehicles to see how dealers equip cars for the average customer.
Good luck, I think it’s a great choice. If my GLE had been delayed like yours, it was exactly where I was headed. I priced an S to get to $110k but just added options I might not have ordered just to get a high end price. Like you said working with a SA is almost mandatory.
We have an Audi SQ5 with some of the similar Porsche driving features. I drive it every chance I get. Using the story earlier it’s like a Mistress on steroids. And as you said you will get some of the premium you pay back on resale.
Old 04-04-2019, 07:38 PM

Damn it, I found out my GLE is delayed.... No good answer from my dealership, Mercedes is mummed on this....
Old 04-04-2019, 07:48 PM

'13 SL550
Originally Posted by Ron.s
We have an Audi SQ5 with some of the similar Porsche driving features. I drive it every chance I get.
Thank you for noting the Audi. Would you mind sharing your thoughts on the vehicle telematics? I understand Audi does a pretty good job in that area.

Q5s are good looking and about the size I need, I loved the GLE450 for the MBUX and the mild hybrid 48-volt electrical system, but really don't need a car that big. Initially, I was hoping a GLE coupe would surface at the same time as the new full-size SUVs.

Last edited by BigHat; 04-04-2019 at 08:31 PM.
Old 04-04-2019, 07:52 PM

Thank you for noting the Audi. Would you mind sharing your thoughts on the vehicle telematics? I understand Audi does a pretty good job in that area.

Q5s are good looking and about the size I need, I loved the GLE450 for the MBUX and the mild hybrid 48-volt electrical system, but really don't need a car that big. Initially, I was hoping a GLE couple would surface at the same time as the new full-size SUVs.
Have you considered the new Audi Q8? Its a whole new level of tech inside and sexy exterior with great driving feel. I have an A7 and the Q8 felt just as nimble with the low center of gravity. It is not big as GLE but may fit your needs?
Old 04-04-2019, 07:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Damn it, I found out my GLE is delayed.... No good answer from my dealership, Mercedes is mummed on this....
Bummer, the lack of feedback from Mercedes just makes a bad situation worse. They need to make some Management Personnel changes fast. This fiasco started with delays in EPA approval and just gets worse each day. Some issues can always be expected with a redesign and some may be caused by 3rd party suppliers. It still reflects on management when issues become so prevalent and keeping Dealers and customers in the dark let’s the “rumor mill” drive a negative narrative.
Old 04-04-2019, 08:02 PM

'13 SL550
Have you considered the new Audi Q8? Its a whole new level of tech inside and sexy exterior with great driving feel. I have an A7 and the Q8 felt just as nimble with the low center of gravity. It is not big as GLE but may fit your needs?
Actually, just priced out a nice Q8. Basically loaded for $95K. That's in my price range. Going to go check them out tomorrow afternoon. Thanks for weighing in on this. Last question if you don't mind. Happy with the quality?
Old 04-04-2019, 08:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Q5s are good looking and about the size I need, I loved the GLE450 for the MBUX and the mild hybrid 48-volt electrical system, but really don't need a car that big. Initially, I was hoping a GLE couple would surface at the same time as the new full-size SUVs.
I call our Audi a poor mans Porsche in jest but it’s more than true. In Truth the SQ5 isn’t all that small except for rear passengers. It sits lower so there is a limit to the height of cargo. The regular Q5 is kind of plain, look at the SQ5 with the Premium package. Air suspension, Torque Vectoring, Rear Wheel Steering are nice if you want Porsche like handling.
Telematics work well but from our 2018 there were changes in 2019. Audi has replaced the basic vehicle operating system with Android. This should make it work better with Android and Apple phone app integration. MBUX will have more features and larger screens but I’m almost 2 years out of date now so take a look at one and decide. I don’t care for the way the Nav screen looks like a tablet stuck in the center of the dash. The Mercedes GLC is similar. Our vehicle has been trouble free.
Old 04-04-2019, 09:31 PM

I actually do! It has solid buttons, switch feel and dashboard quality then the Q5 which I find cheap. My 2016 A7 has 51k miles and my 2012 Audi A8L has 180k miles and they both are excellent in reliability and quality. I am happy with the new infotainment in the latest Audis and I plan to wait for the next generation S7 coming this fall after seeing the new A7. The tech and the features are so amazing. I hope the mbux is just as good.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: 2020 V167 GLE