MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   GLE Class (V167) (https://mbworld.org/forums/gle-class-v167-250/)
-   -   Aluminum vs Metal Weave trim (https://mbworld.org/forums/gle-class-v167/738328-aluminum-vs-metal-weave-trim.html)

audi40 03-11-2019 05:28 PM

Aluminum vs Metal Weave trim

We're finalizing our order and are going back and forth between the aluminum and metal weave trim.

Are ordering black interior w/ black headliner and have seen the metal weave trim in that configuration - it's very nice, but we think the aluminum will contrast ("pop") more with the black on black interior.

Only hesitation on the aluminum is potential for scratches - dealer suggested it could be covered with a 3M or similar clear protective film.

Thoughts?

Ron.s 03-11-2019 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by audi40 (Post 7702902)
We're finalizing our order and are going back and forth between the aluminum and metal weave trim.

Are ordering black interior w/ black headliner and have seen the metal weave trim in that configuration - it's very nice, but we think the aluminum will contrast ("pop") more with the black on black interior.

Only hesitation on the aluminum is potential for scratches - dealer suggested it could be covered with a 3M or similar clear protective film.

Thoughts?

We have a similar looking trim to the Metal Weave in our Audi with all black interior. Personally I like it better than Aluminum, it has an expensive look. It has some contrast but blends well too. If you can’t look at a Benz with it try Audi, it’s a popular trim. It gets down to a personal choice, IMO.

fabbrisd1 03-11-2019 06:38 PM

"Metal Weave" to me looks lile "Silver Carbon Fiber" and it's a real trick look - aluminum trim to me looks so-so/blah

Skizz 03-11-2019 06:40 PM

Just a heads up, and you may already know, on both Metal Weave and Aluminum trims the console is piano black, or so I was told, and told again. I considered the Metal Weave and grey gloss linden wood and ultimately switched to walnut as I wanted the console trim to match the rest (door,dash) of the trim. If you are a fan of piano black, all good then.

KJ 03-11-2019 07:14 PM

I just got a call from my dealer in Toronto that Metal Weave is "Blocked until Jan. 2020 production". =(

Did anyone else get this bad news?

Skizz 03-11-2019 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by KJ (Post 7702993)
I just got a call from my dealer in Toronto that Metal Weave is delayed until Jan. 2020 production. =(

Ouch. Wasn't told that when I was going through the choices. Of course, I wasn't told a number of things........

audi40 03-11-2019 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by Skizz (Post 7702960)
Just a heads up, and you may already know, on both Metal Weave and Aluminum trims the console is piano black, or so I was told, and told again. I considered the Metal Weave and grey gloss linden wood and ultimately switched to walnut as I wanted the console trim to match the rest (door,dash) of the trim. If you are a fan of piano black, all good then.

The piano black doesn't bother me with the black on black interior...going for a sportier look.

audi40 03-11-2019 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by Ron.s (Post 7702921)
We have a similar looking trim to the Metal Weave in our Audi with all black interior. Personally I like it better than Aluminum, it has an expensive look. It has some contrast but blends well too. If you can’t look at a Benz with it try Audi, it’s a popular trim. It gets down to a personal choice, IMO.

I had brushed aluminum in a prior A6 which was also a black on black interior, and now have carbon fiber in my all black interior S5, so familiar with both looks. Took a second look/drive of a GLE with the metal weave interior tonite and decided to go with our first instinct...aluminum trim. Something with the metal weave just wasn't doing it for me...

KJ 03-12-2019 12:06 PM

So has anyone else heard that Metal Weave Trim is being blocked from production until Jan. 2020?

I want to make sure my dealer isn't BS'ing me (not sure why they would, but I want to confirm)

Steve Chu 03-12-2019 12:34 PM

I have the Metal Weave trim on my order (estimated delivery in June), but I have not heard anything from my dealer regarding a production delay for it.

KJ 03-12-2019 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by Steve Chu (Post 7703529)
I have the Metal Weave trim on my order (estimated delivery in June), but I have not heard anything from my dealer regarding a production delay for it.

My estimated delivery is also in June. Seems like I may have just missed the cutoff for this.

To be honest, I'm really annoyed about this. How can something as simple as a piece of trim be delayed until Jan. 2020 production.

Is there a worldwide shortage of "metal weave trim"?!?!? (rolls eyes sarcastically)

Djwpe 03-12-2019 09:01 PM

The 350 demo I drove 3 weeks ago had metal weave.

2012MLBlue 03-15-2019 09:10 AM

I ordered all black interior with textured leather and metal weave trim. My order just arrived at dealership and I will send some pics when I go in this weekend when back from vacation.

JoeMa 03-15-2019 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by 2012MLBlue (Post 7706096)
I ordered all black interior with textured leather and metal weave trim. My order just arrived at dealership and I will send some pics when I go in this weekend when back from vacation.

Congratulations! Looking forward to seeing your photos.

KJ 03-15-2019 03:19 PM

I guess Canada gets the shaft. Can't see why they need to delay production for 9-months for something as simple as metal weave trim (which is widely available for U.S. cars). I'm sure it literally snaps into place in 30-seconds with some clips.

Anyway, I delayed my order until Jan. 2020 production because I'm not flexible on the trim I want. My 2nd-option was to pay for carbon fiber (not an option) or go with Open Pore Ash (also delayed until Jan. 2020 production). If they really want to risk losing a sale for $105K CAD + tax over something like this, then I guess that's their choice. Seems ridiculous to me though IMO.

Perhaps Mercedes will change their tune and move the production date for these trim's up later on.

Ron.s 03-15-2019 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by KJ (Post 7706396)
I guess Canada gets the shaft. Can't see why they need to delay production for 9-months for something as simple as metal weave trim (which is widely available for U.S. cars). I'm sure it literally snaps into place in 30-seconds with some clips.

Anyway, I delayed my order until Jan. 2020 production because I'm not flexible on the trim I want. My 2nd-option was to pay for carbon fiber (not an option) or go with Open Pore Ash (also delayed until Jan. 2020 production). If they really want to risk losing a sale for $105K CAD + tax over something like this, then I guess that's their choice. Seems ridiculous to me though IMO.

Perhaps Mercedes will change their tune and move the production date for these trim's up later on.

You might email them your comments! Seems dumb that it’s not available but maybe it’s a supply issue.

KJ 03-16-2019 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by Ron.s (Post 7706422)
You might email them your comments! Seems dumb that it’s not available but maybe it’s a supply issue.

I will definitely e-mail them, thanks for the advice.

I pretty much chose every single option, including E-ABC. I would figure a LITTLE flexibility to make the customer happy wouldn't be too much to ask right?

If it was a supply issue and no one was getting Metal Weave Trim, I would understand. But everyone in the U.S. is still getting this trim and I see tonnes of pictures of cars at the dealer with metal weave trim.

That just tells me that they don't want to give it to Canada, and it's not because of supply.

2012MLBlue 03-16-2019 12:36 PM

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...9fb090f6fb.jpg
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...72a4f5b666.jpg

Went to see my order this morning. Here are two close ups of the trim. I like it.

Skizz 03-16-2019 01:56 PM

The metal weave is very nice. I like it. Is the console trim piano black?

GregW / Oregon 03-16-2019 03:29 PM

Metal weave trim confirmed delayed

Originally Posted by KJ (Post 7702993)
I just got a call from my dealer in Toronto that Metal Weave is "Blocked until Jan. 2020 production". =(

Confirmed, along with 2 other trims, in the latest DOG, available here: https://mbworld.org/forums/gle-class...ml

GregW / Oregon 03-16-2019 03:41 PM

Metal weave trim

Originally Posted by 2012MLBlue (Post 7707001)
Went to see my order this morning. Here are two close ups of the trim. I like it.

Much nicer than the computer generated images. Wish I had ordered it!

KJ 03-16-2019 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon (Post 7707138)
Confirmed, along with 2 other trims, in the latest DOG, available here: https://mbworld.org/forums/gle-class...ml#post7707136

Thanks Greg.

Both my preferred trims (Metal Weave and Open-pore Ash) both delayed. Still can't believe Mercedes doesn't want to take more of my money to sell these to me! LOL

audi40 03-16-2019 04:42 PM

If anyone has or happens to see a GLE with the aluminum trim, would love to see an actual pic of it, thanks!

beth22 03-16-2019 05:19 PM

metal weave

Can't the trim be switched out/installed afterwards? My husband wants metal weave as well (me too) but looks like it won't be available with our orders.

GregW / Oregon 03-16-2019 05:28 PM

Switching trim

Originally Posted by beth22 (Post 7707210)
Can't the trim be switched out/installed afterwards? My husband wants metal weave as well (me too) but looks like it won't be available with our orders.

Yes, it can be changed but likely to be quite expensive given that the option price is $600; will likely be more through parts, then there’s the labor, unless you tackle it yourself.