Notices

Aluminum vs Metal Weave trim

 
Old 03-11-2019, 05:28 PM
  #1  
Member
Thread Starter
 
audi40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: RI
Posts: 86
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
2018 Audi S5 Sportback
Aluminum vs Metal Weave trim

We're finalizing our order and are going back and forth between the aluminum and metal weave trim.

Are ordering black interior w/ black headliner and have seen the metal weave trim in that configuration - it's very nice, but we think the aluminum will contrast ("pop") more with the black on black interior.

Only hesitation on the aluminum is potential for scratches - dealer suggested it could be covered with a 3M or similar clear protective film.

Thoughts?
audi40 is offline  
Old 03-11-2019, 05:49 PM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Boise & St George
Posts: 480
Thanked 18 Times in 18 Posts
2018 SQ5 & 2020 GLE 450-in transit
Originally Posted by audi40 View Post
We're finalizing our order and are going back and forth between the aluminum and metal weave trim.

Are ordering black interior w/ black headliner and have seen the metal weave trim in that configuration - it's very nice, but we think the aluminum will contrast ("pop") more with the black on black interior.

Only hesitation on the aluminum is potential for scratches - dealer suggested it could be covered with a 3M or similar clear protective film.

Thoughts?
We have a similar looking trim to the Metal Weave in our Audi with all black interior. Personally I like it better than Aluminum, it has an expensive look. It has some contrast but blends well too. If you canít look at a Benz with it try Audi, itís a popular trim. It gets down to a personal choice, IMO.
Ron.s is offline  
Old 03-11-2019, 06:38 PM
  #3  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 4,582
Thanks: 0
Thanked 438 Times in 360 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
"Metal Weave" to me looks lile "Silver Carbon Fiber" and it's a real trick look - aluminum trim to me looks so-so/blah
fabbrisd1 is offline  
Old 03-11-2019, 06:40 PM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
Skizz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Dallas
Posts: 363
Thanked 36 Times in 32 Posts
like s#!t
Just a heads up, and you may already know, on both Metal Weave and Aluminum trims the console is piano black, or so I was told, and told again. I considered the Metal Weave and grey gloss linden wood and ultimately switched to walnut as I wanted the console trim to match the rest (door,dash) of the trim. If you are a fan of piano black, all good then.
Skizz is offline  
Old 03-11-2019, 07:14 PM
  #5  
KJ
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 469
Thanked 50 Times in 48 Posts
2016 C63S AMG
I just got a call from my dealer in Toronto that Metal Weave is "Blocked until Jan. 2020 production". =(

Did anyone else get this bad news?

Last edited by KJ; 03-11-2019 at 07:16 PM.
KJ is online now  
Old 03-11-2019, 07:16 PM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
Skizz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Dallas
Posts: 363
Thanked 36 Times in 32 Posts
like s#!t
Originally Posted by KJ View Post
I just got a call from my dealer in Toronto that Metal Weave is delayed until Jan. 2020 production. =(

Did anyone else get this bad news?
Ouch. Wasn't told that when I was going through the choices. Of course, I wasn't told a number of things........
Skizz is offline  
Old 03-11-2019, 08:01 PM
  #7  
Member
Thread Starter
 
audi40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: RI
Posts: 86
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
2018 Audi S5 Sportback
Originally Posted by Skizz View Post
Just a heads up, and you may already know, on both Metal Weave and Aluminum trims the console is piano black, or so I was told, and told again. I considered the Metal Weave and grey gloss linden wood and ultimately switched to walnut as I wanted the console trim to match the rest (door,dash) of the trim. If you are a fan of piano black, all good then.
The piano black doesn't bother me with the black on black interior...going for a sportier look.
audi40 is offline  
Old 03-11-2019, 08:07 PM
  #8  
Member
Thread Starter
 
audi40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: RI
Posts: 86
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
2018 Audi S5 Sportback
Originally Posted by Ron.s View Post
We have a similar looking trim to the Metal Weave in our Audi with all black interior. Personally I like it better than Aluminum, it has an expensive look. It has some contrast but blends well too. If you canít look at a Benz with it try Audi, itís a popular trim. It gets down to a personal choice, IMO.
I had brushed aluminum in a prior A6 which was also a black on black interior, and now have carbon fiber in my all black interior S5, so familiar with both looks. Took a second look/drive of a GLE with the metal weave interior tonite and decided to go with our first instinct...aluminum trim. Something with the metal weave just wasn't doing it for me...
audi40 is offline  
Old 03-12-2019, 12:06 PM
  #9  
KJ
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 469
Thanked 50 Times in 48 Posts
2016 C63S AMG
So has anyone else heard that Metal Weave Trim is being blocked from production until Jan. 2020?

I want to make sure my dealer isn't BS'ing me (not sure why they would, but I want to confirm)
KJ is online now  
Old 03-12-2019, 12:34 PM
  #10  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 2
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
x3
I have the Metal Weave trim on my order (estimated delivery in June), but I have not heard anything from my dealer regarding a production delay for it.
Steve Chu is offline  
Old 03-12-2019, 03:25 PM
  #11  
KJ
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 469
Thanked 50 Times in 48 Posts
2016 C63S AMG
Originally Posted by Steve Chu View Post
I have the Metal Weave trim on my order (estimated delivery in June), but I have not heard anything from my dealer regarding a production delay for it.
My estimated delivery is also in June. Seems like I may have just missed the cutoff for this.

To be honest, I'm really annoyed about this. How can something as simple as a piece of trim be delayed until Jan. 2020 production.

Is there a worldwide shortage of "metal weave trim"?!?!? (rolls eyes sarcastically)

Last edited by KJ; 03-12-2019 at 04:20 PM.
KJ is online now  
Old 03-12-2019, 09:01 PM
  #12  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
GLE
The 350 demo I drove 3 weeks ago had metal weave.
Djwpe is offline  
Old 03-15-2019, 09:10 AM
  #13  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 354
Thanked 11 Times in 5 Posts
2016 GLE 350d
I ordered all black interior with textured leather and metal weave trim. My order just arrived at dealership and I will send some pics when I go in this weekend when back from vacation.
2012MLBlue is offline  
Old 03-15-2019, 09:54 AM
  #14  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Central PA
Posts: 1,576
Thanked 92 Times in 72 Posts
17 GLS 550
Originally Posted by 2012MLBlue View Post
I ordered all black interior with textured leather and metal weave trim. My order just arrived at dealership and I will send some pics when I go in this weekend when back from vacation.
Congratulations! Looking forward to seeing your photos.
JoeMa is offline  
Old 03-15-2019, 03:19 PM
  #15  
KJ
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 469
Thanked 50 Times in 48 Posts
2016 C63S AMG
I guess Canada gets the shaft. Can't see why they need to delay production for 9-months for something as simple as metal weave trim (which is widely available for U.S. cars). I'm sure it literally snaps into place in 30-seconds with some clips.

Anyway, I delayed my order until Jan. 2020 production because I'm not flexible on the trim I want. My 2nd-option was to pay for carbon fiber (not an option) or go with Open Pore Ash (also delayed until Jan. 2020 production). If they really want to risk losing a sale for $105K CAD + tax over something like this, then I guess that's their choice. Seems ridiculous to me though IMO.

Perhaps Mercedes will change their tune and move the production date for these trim's up later on.
KJ is online now  
Old 03-15-2019, 03:47 PM
  #16  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Boise & St George
Posts: 480
Thanked 18 Times in 18 Posts
2018 SQ5 & 2020 GLE 450-in transit
Originally Posted by KJ View Post
I guess Canada gets the shaft. Can't see why they need to delay production for 9-months for something as simple as metal weave trim (which is widely available for U.S. cars). I'm sure it literally snaps into place in 30-seconds with some clips.

Anyway, I delayed my order until Jan. 2020 production because I'm not flexible on the trim I want. My 2nd-option was to pay for carbon fiber (not an option) or go with Open Pore Ash (also delayed until Jan. 2020 production). If they really want to risk losing a sale for $105K CAD + tax over something like this, then I guess that's their choice. Seems ridiculous to me though IMO.

Perhaps Mercedes will change their tune and move the production date for these trim's up later on.
You might email them your comments! Seems dumb that itís not available but maybe itís a supply issue.
Ron.s is offline  
Old 03-16-2019, 12:24 AM
  #17  
KJ
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 469
Thanked 50 Times in 48 Posts
2016 C63S AMG
Originally Posted by Ron.s View Post
You might email them your comments! Seems dumb that itís not available but maybe itís a supply issue.
I will definitely e-mail them, thanks for the advice.

I pretty much chose every single option, including E-ABC. I would figure a LITTLE flexibility to make the customer happy wouldn't be too much to ask right?

If it was a supply issue and no one was getting Metal Weave Trim, I would understand. But everyone in the U.S. is still getting this trim and I see tonnes of pictures of cars at the dealer with metal weave trim.

That just tells me that they don't want to give it to Canada, and it's not because of supply.
KJ is online now  
Old 03-16-2019, 12:36 PM
  #18  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 354
Thanked 11 Times in 5 Posts
2016 GLE 350d




Went to see my order this morning. Here are two close ups of the trim. I like it.
2012MLBlue is offline  
Old 03-16-2019, 01:56 PM
  #19  
Senior Member
 
Skizz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Dallas
Posts: 363
Thanked 36 Times in 32 Posts
like s#!t
The metal weave is very nice. I like it. Is the console trim piano black?
Skizz is offline  
Old 03-16-2019, 03:29 PM
  #20  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Lake Oswego, OR
Posts: 3,309
Thanked 100 Times in 80 Posts
2020 GLE 450 (on order); 2012 ML350; 2015 M4 Coupe
Metal weave trim confirmed delayed

Originally Posted by KJ View Post
I just got a call from my dealer in Toronto that Metal Weave is "Blocked until Jan. 2020 production". =(

Did anyone else get this bad news?
Confirmed, along with 2 other trims, in the latest DOG, available here: https://mbworld.org/forums/gle-class...ml#post7707136

Last edited by GregW / Oregon; 03-16-2019 at 03:37 PM.
GregW / Oregon is offline  
Old 03-16-2019, 03:41 PM
  #21  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Lake Oswego, OR
Posts: 3,309
Thanked 100 Times in 80 Posts
2020 GLE 450 (on order); 2012 ML350; 2015 M4 Coupe
Metal weave trim

Originally Posted by 2012MLBlue View Post
Went to see my order this morning. Here are two close ups of the trim. I like it.
Much nicer than the computer generated images. Wish I had ordered it!
GregW / Oregon is offline  
Old 03-16-2019, 04:20 PM
  #22  
KJ
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 469
Thanked 50 Times in 48 Posts
2016 C63S AMG
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon View Post
Confirmed, along with 2 other trims, in the latest DOG, available here: https://mbworld.org/forums/gle-class...ml#post7707136
Thanks Greg.

Both my preferred trims (Metal Weave and Open-pore Ash) both delayed. Still can't believe Mercedes doesn't want to take more of my money to sell these to me! LOL
KJ is online now  
Old 03-16-2019, 04:42 PM
  #23  
Member
Thread Starter
 
audi40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: RI
Posts: 86
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
2018 Audi S5 Sportback
If anyone has or happens to see a GLE with the aluminum trim, would love to see an actual pic of it, thanks!
audi40 is offline  
Old 03-16-2019, 05:19 PM
  #24  
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 81
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2018 GLS 450, 2018 GLE 4matic
metal weave

Can't the trim be switched out/installed afterwards? My husband wants metal weave as well (me too) but looks like it won't be available with our orders.
beth22 is online now  
Old 03-16-2019, 05:28 PM
  #25  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Lake Oswego, OR
Posts: 3,309
Thanked 100 Times in 80 Posts
2020 GLE 450 (on order); 2012 ML350; 2015 M4 Coupe
Switching trim

Originally Posted by beth22 View Post
Can't the trim be switched out/installed afterwards? My husband wants metal weave as well (me too) but looks like it won't be available with our orders.
Yes, it can be changed but likely to be quite expensive given that the option price is $600; will likely be more through parts, then thereís the labor, unless you tackle it yourself.
GregW / Oregon is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Aluminum vs Metal Weave trim


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: