GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

Issues with the USB-C

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-20-2019, 10:23 PM

Received 52 Likes on 31 Posts
2024 GLE AMG53
Issues with the USB-C

So not loving the USB-C so far. Car came with 3 adapters. I tried plugging in my Dash Cash which and it goes into DATA mode as if it's connected to a computer. I checked all 5 ports and same result. Next up was my Ipod Nano and i get Device not Compatible.
Old 04-21-2019, 08:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,022 Likes on 694 Posts
2024 Mercedes GLE 63 S..... 2018 Audi SQ5
It shouldn’t be the USB C port.
I couldn’t get Android Auto to work using one of the cables and a USB A to C from another vehicle. My phone has a C also. I tried it with a C to C and it came right up. Thinking about it later, I realized that I didn’t turn the car off and set the parking brake before plugging in my phone for the first time setup so that was probably the issue. It works now with either cable. I ordered a 1’ C to C on Amazon to reduce the clutter.
Since Apple has stopped making iPods it’s probably not supported, I think I read that somewhere. My Nano doesn’t work with our Audi and I have my music on my phone so haven’t tried the Nano on the MB.
My guess on your dash Cam is that the Mercedes System doesn’t have just a USB charging port so it will look like a computer. I haven’t found a cigarette lighter, but if there was one you could buy a USB C adapter. I was going to plug my new radar detector in to try it and couldn’t find a cig. plug. You could have someone add a USB charging port like they hardwire radar detectors. This may be more complicated than usual since some of the system is 48 volts and some is 12 volts.
If I find any new info will let you know.
Old 04-21-2019, 09:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,022 Likes on 694 Posts
2024 Mercedes GLE 63 S..... 2018 Audi SQ5
I gave up and checked the Manual to find out there is a cigarette lighter. Found it under the flap just ahead of the front USB C ports. If you wanted to hardwire your dash cam or a radar detector that’s the place to get power. I’ll probably have Mercedes do mine rather than the Stereo Shop I usually use.
A quick solution for your Dash Cam see link below. I have used these and they work.
Amazon Amazon

Edit- The Aukey flush mount may be a better fit. It will show on similar items at the bottom of the page.

Last edited by Ron.s; 04-21-2019 at 09:30 AM.