Accessing 3rd row with car seats installed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-24-2019, 12:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2019 Volvo XC90 | 2013 MB E350 4Matic
Accessing 3rd row with car seats installed

Hi everyone,

I'm wondering if anyone is using LATCH/ISOFIX installation of car seats in the second row, and how accessible the third row becomes as a result.

I've yet to find any literature about this topic, but it would appear that the tilting motion of the seats would allow for access to the third row without having to uninstall the car seat -- a la the Infiniti QX60 and others.

Any suggestions / guidance would be incredibly helpful as we look to pull the trigger on our order in the next day or two.

Thanks!
Old 06-24-2019, 09:29 PM

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
2020 MB GLE350, 2015.5 Volvo XC60 T5
Originally Posted by bfinkie99
Hi everyone,

I'm wondering if anyone is using LATCH/ISOFIX installation of car seats in the second row, and how accessible the third row becomes as a result.

I've yet to find any literature about this topic, but it would appear that the tilting motion of the seats would allow for access to the third row without having to uninstall the car seat -- a la the Infiniti QX60 and others.

Any suggestions / guidance would be incredibly helpful as we look to pull the trigger on our order in the next day or two.

Thanks!
I have two car seats installed... one car seat using LATCH (a convertible - forward facing) behind the passenger seat and one infant car seat base in the middle of second row using the seatbelt.

While this is easier for me to get my older kid in/out since the door she is closest to is not on the traffic side when parked on the street, it is actually more problematic if we wanted to use the 3rd row. (I have the 3rd row but haven't had to use it yet.) That's because the way the split 2nd row seat is configured, the seat behind the passenger side is the one that moves individually and the other side is the middle and outboard together. So, it'd be ideal to have the two car seats on the left (driver's) side and middle...because the way I have it now neither side can slide/tilt forward fully. (I probably will move the one seat to the other side if I know there is an occasion where I have to use the 3rd row.)

That being said, if you only have one car seat, it'd probably be best to have it behind the passenger side, as there would be more room to enter/exit when both middle and drivers side seats moved forward.

By the way, I just tried moving the middle/driver-side 2nd row seat with the infant base installed and it doesn't quite move forward/tilt enough...certainly not to it's full extension.

Hope that makes sense!

-Terry
The following users liked this post:
gearFX (06-25-2019)
Old 06-25-2019, 01:36 PM

Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts
various
If you have a high backed group 2/3 seat I would certainly recommend test fitting the child seat.

because the head restraints can’t be removed I found that they pushed my recaro monza ISOFIX Seat too far forward making it extremely uncomfortable. Seems a bit of an oversight really.