Over-Air Update

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-23-2019, 12:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,032 Likes on 700 Posts
2024 GMC Canyon Denali..... 2018 Audi SQ5
Over-Air Update

Last night my car received an over the Air update while parked in the garage. I’m hoping that it clears up some of the random glitches. So far my Key Fob has worked twice locking. The two things I noticed were the change to the center portion of the DIC screen and that I had to redo my profile. The options have changed in the middle portion of the left screen that I call Driver Information Center. The center portion defaulted to a low speed “Distronic” like screen showing a distance grid in front and if you get within 300’ it shows a car and will actually slow you down if you get too close. There is another symbol showing your car with radar like images on each side.
There was no notice that I got the update and so no list of changes. Maybe the early builds are just catching up to changes made to more recent vehicle builds.
Anyone else? Any other changes to note?
Edit-One other change not mentioned is the mileage/economy choices are now gone but are available on the right portion.

Last edited by Ron.s; 07-23-2019 at 12:40 PM.
Old 07-23-2019, 01:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 301 Likes on 190 Posts
GLC 450
Mine updated yesterday but haven't noticed any differences, I am waiting for the nav to update as the version for europe is still 2018.
Old 07-23-2019, 03:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I guess I was just optimistic. Nothing noticeable really changed on mine except that the defaults were a lot different. All of my settings had been changed. I stopped for gas and couldn’t reset info. I remembered the driver Home screen and found all of my original settings there. I don’t remember the follow screen having some of the current graphics. Door lock still not working, just started off with a couple of successes. ALKA not working either....off changed to on as soon as I started driving.
Old 07-23-2019, 06:21 PM

Received 48 Likes on 25 Posts
2021 GLE53 AMG
Maybe it’s being rolled out in stages. Mine hasn’t updated yet unless it’s not obvious.
Old 07-24-2019, 09:44 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
2020 GLE 450
I was reading the manual and said the only way to update the software is through OTA updates. So, if you live in a country where these services aren't available you are stuck with an old version? I wonder why they don't allow updates through USB like other vehicles.
Old 07-24-2019, 09:29 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
GLE
Did you see a prompt saying update available or update completed? Can you post a photo of the new interface?
The following users liked this post:
MargarittaMB (11-08-2019)
Old 07-24-2019, 10:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by cnnn
Did you see a prompt saying update available or update completed? Can you post a photo of the new interface?
There was no notice at all. When I started the car it took me to a sign in just like when I first got it. I thought there was a new interface but it may not have been new., no way to tell after 3 months. Basically all my screens on the Driver Panel were changed. I had changed a lot of the screen choices the first week or two and haven’t done anything since so I really don’t remember what they were to start. Basically most of my settings were back to default. I haven’t finished going through everything yet so I can’t say for sure. I had been playing with the Lane Keep and door locks in the evening about 8PM so there had to be a factory OTA Update between 8PM and 8 AM.. My dealer Service Department didn’t get notice that they could find. I hope Mercedes publishes something so that we know what changed! This seems to be a poor way to do business but then that’s nothing new of late. My car is in the shop for another day while they try to fix the locking and address Lane Keep resetting to on.
I did not take a photo before I made a number of changes back to what I had. Even HUD changed...my current speed was set back to blank.

Last edited by Ron.s; 07-24-2019 at 10:16 PM.
Old 07-25-2019, 08:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 723 Likes on 539 Posts
2015 E400 Sedan
When car downloads these updates - does the car upload data to MB?
Were there any Terms of Use with this?

Like the data recorders in cars is MB taking that data when they give you an update or whenever they want?
Old 07-25-2019, 10:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by ygmn

Like the data recorders in cars is MB taking that data when they give you an update or whenever they want?
As I said there was nothing from Benz and no one seems to know anything else about what was involved.
Old 07-25-2019, 11:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,185 Likes on 852 Posts
2020 GLE 450; 2023 BMW M2 Coupe
Mercedes me Connect

Terms of use are here: https://me-us.secure.mercedes-benz.c...useragreements
Old 07-25-2019, 01:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 723 Likes on 539 Posts
2015 E400 Sedan
Originally Posted by Ron.s
As I said there was nothing from Benz and no one seems to know anything else about what was involved.
digging around on that site:
https://www.mbusa.com/en/legal-notic...nected-vehicle

Mercedes-Benz takes your privacy seriously in the design, development and implementation of our Connected Vehicle Services. The various systems and components of your Vehicle are controlled by in-vehicle computers. Your Vehicle’s computers communicate with each other and record data. If your Vehicle is equipped with technology capable of transmitting the data to us, we receive Vehicle Data that allows us to provide you with many benefits (“Connected Vehicle Services” or “Services”).

The information we collect, and how we use and share it, may differ depending upon the Services you activate for your Vehicle. We encourage you to click on the links below to learn about our Services.
A bit scary and I see more bad then good.
Old 07-25-2019, 01:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLC 450
For you experts out there, I took the car in to dealers today because the easy entry/exit isn't working correctly (post on this on forum). Dealer has phoned this evening to say they need the car until tomorrow because they have 3 software updates to carry out. The car is 4 weeks old , why wouldn't the updates have been carried out before delivery, also the car updated over the air last week, why wasn't it able to do the updates over air. Can any of you advise on this as I am confused?.
Old 07-25-2019, 03:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Data privacy

digging around on that site:
https://www.mbusa.com/en/legal-notic...nected-vehicle
A bit scary and I see more bad then good.
Then you can opt out of any of the services. Nothing comes without a risk these days, but I'm not too concerned about Daimler.
Old 08-01-2019, 01:19 PM

Received 48 Likes on 25 Posts
2021 GLE53 AMG
Has anyone else received an OTA software update? I still haven't received one unless it didn't reset things and wasn't obvious.
Old 08-01-2019, 02:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by GeNomeZ
Has anyone else received an OTA software update? I still haven't received one unless it didn't reset things and wasn't obvious.
I did but had no notice like I get with Audi....I.e. “North American Maps were updated today”. The only way I could tell was that all or most of the settings went back to Factory default overnight.
I had my Key Fobs replaced under warranty yesterday and they mentioned that it took a little longer because they had to make some updates. When I got home I looked at my paperwork and nothing was noted about updates. They did check my AC hoses for kinks as requested.
I would guess that they are limited on what is done OTA and what is required in the shop. The ECU and TCU for example are usually locked requiring special dealer equipment for access.
Old 08-01-2019, 02:27 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
2020 GLE 450
I did but had no notice like I get with Audi....I.e. “North American Maps were updated today”. The only way I could tell was that all or most of the settings went back to Factory default overnight.
I had my Key Fobs replaced under warranty yesterday and they mentioned that it took a little longer because they had to make some updates. When I got home I looked at my paperwork and nothing was noted about updates. They did check my AC hoses for kinks as requested.
I would guess that they are limited on what is done OTA and what is required in the shop. The ECU and TCU for example are usually locked requiring special dealer equipment for access.
How are your new keys?
Old 08-01-2019, 03:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by turko
How are your new keys?
They solved the problem. Mercedes must have had a bad batch since they had an unreleased TSB at Corporate to replace any with my issue. Audi has identical looking locks on the vehicle so they might have the same supplier.
Old 08-02-2019, 10:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I haven’t noticed any improvements since my OTA update but there do seem to be more issues. The dealer also did some updates a day later so they were too close together to draw any conclusions. Like I said earlier there has been no documentation of what was involved..
Now Android Auto doesn’t work with the center touch pad but does with touch screen. Kick to open 100% failure rate last two days. The “lower on entry” selection lowered the car after exit and the door was closed day one....next day lowered the car when selected just like it should.
These seem like software conflicts since many are random and don’t repeat consistently. A little like a Windows Operating System from days past...
Old 08-02-2019, 01:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by turko
How are your new keys?
The new one worked two days and failed today. Probably worked a dozen times in a row befor this happened. The originals worked for several weeks when the car was new so now I question if it’s the Fob.
Old 08-02-2019, 05:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLC 450
I haven’t noticed any improvements since my OTA update but there do seem to be more issues. The dealer also did some updates a day later so they were too close together to draw any conclusions. Like I said earlier there has been no documentation of what was involved..
Now Android Auto doesn’t work with the center touch pad but does with touch screen. Kick to open 100% failure rate last two days. The “lower on entry” selection lowered the car after exit and the door was closed day one....next day lowered the car when selected just like it should.
These seem like software conflicts since many are random and don’t repeat consistently. A little like a Windows Operating System from days past...
Odd that the lower on entry worked after exit, today I selected the feature as I was about to leave car, the message lowering came up on screen and I turned engine off, it came up with message function not available if engine not running, this is why I believe you have to select it every time as it doesn't operate if the engine isn't running.
Old 08-02-2019, 05:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Lower when getting in/on

Originally Posted by Philamg
Odd that the lower on entry worked after exit, today I selected the feature as I was about to leave car, the message lowering came up on screen and I turned engine off, it came up with message function not available if engine not running, this is why I believe you have to select it every time as it doesn't operate if the engine isn't running.
I'll have to check again, but I believe mine will continue to lower after the engine is off, as long as you start it with it on.
Old 08-02-2019, 05:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cool

Originally Posted by Philamg
Sorry I tend to be brief. Mine has the same message if the engine is off. I hit the lower when entry command and nothing happened. I waited for a minute or two and still nothing. Turned off the vehicle and when I closed the door the vehicle lowered. Did it a second time same result. Next day it lowered as soon as I turned the command on.
My car may have come with a Ghost or Alien that’s messing with me.
Old 08-03-2019, 08:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLC 450
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon
I'll have to check again, but I believe mine will continue to lower after the engine is off, as long as you start it with it on.
You are correct, message says "function only available when engine is on" , would guess it means you can't select it unless engine is on but once selected will still lower car after you have turned engine off.
Old 08-15-2019, 09:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I got my second OTA Update of North Am maps last night. Just as with the first one, there was a banner message of the update.
Old 08-15-2019, 10:41 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
GLE
I also got my first OTA Maps update yesterday. The banner showed up saying system needs to restart, while I was driving on freeway.

I went to Settings - Software Update and saw it was actually just Maps data for my region.

I haven’t seen any real system level update yet.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Over-Air Update