GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

2 VINs for same vehicle?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-25-2019 | 11:35 PM

2 VINs for same vehicle?

NetStar, the Monroney window sticker, my dealer paperwork, the state registration, and MBUX all show the same VIN: 4JGFB5KE6LAxxxxxx

This VIN has never worked in mbdecoder.com, so I assumed their database just wasn't updated.

Just now, I noticed that in the Mercedes Me Connect web portal, under Manage Vehicle -> Vehicle Data tab, a different VIN appears: 4JG1671591Axxxxxx

4JG.......Axxxxxx is the same in both cases, it's the middle 7 characters that are different. For fun, I tried that second VIN in mbdecoder and it magically showed all the correct information, including an Order number that matches what's on Netstar (for the "real" VIN). Car was produced on October 4th.

I assume this is normal? I thought VINs followed a standard format per manufacturer, so I'm surprised to see a second number.

Last edited by maalox; 10-26-2019 at 01:45 AM.
Old 10-26-2019 | 01:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A gaggle of MB's
1. Check the VIN label inside the Driver's Door Frame - snap a pic of it

2. Check the VIN plate showing in the driver's side windshield - snap a pic - and confirm it matches the VIN label

3. If 1&2 match - then dealer mishandled your paperwork ..

Keep the beat !
Old 10-26-2019 | 03:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
The second VIN is the European Chassis Number. USA and EU have different VIN formats. The Mercedes Me Connect services appear to be tied to the European VIN of the car. This might be a new thing for 2019 with the change of the online platform. Both VINs are listed on the bill of sale for my '19 C63S and I also see my European VIN under Vehicle Data in the Mercedes Me Connect portal. I did European Delivery, though, so I thought it was something unique to ED cars, because the European warranty is tied to the EU VIN while the car is in Europe, but sounds like all cars technically have two VINs.

You can see the different formats between EU and North America here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicl...ication_number

Not sure why the VIN decoder doesn't work for one of your VINs. I can use either one and my configuration comes up, except only the EU VIN shows something for the production date. Perhaps the DB isn't fully updated yet in your case.

Last edited by superswiss; 10-26-2019 at 03:56 AM.
The following users liked this post:
bad habit (10-26-2019)
Old 10-26-2019 | 08:54 PM

I took a picture of the VIN label inside the door frame, and also of the VIN plate in the driver's side windshield. They both match what's on my paperwork/registration/MBUX/Netstar etc.

So, it's only what shows up in the Mercedes Me Connect web portal that's different, and I agree it must be some EU VIN format. I'm assuming this is the case for everyone else in the US too, so my only "problem" then is that mbdecoder.com only works for the EU VIN, but I can live with that

I had checked the Wikipedia link after making my initial post, and then tried to calculate the "check" digit (digit #9) of the VIN. It was correct for the US VIN, but not for the other VIN, which also led me to believe that it is an EU VIN format (since they don't use the check digit according to the Wikipedia link).

Case closed as far as I'm concerned, thanks to both of you for your help.

Last edited by maalox; 10-26-2019 at 09:04 PM.
Old 10-26-2019 | 09:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

mgLipGD
Datamb.com check there
Old 10-26-2019 | 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by black06c230
Datamb.com check there
Neither VIN works there Guess it takes time for these sites' databases to get updated, my car was produced on October 4th.

ERROR: VIN not found
  • Check the VIN you entered.
  • If your car was built before 1983 the datacard can be obtained by contacting Mercedes-Benz Classic Center at classic@daimler.com
  • Your car is too new and it hasn't been added to the database.