GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

Why does Nappa Leather require adding expensive options

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-22-2019, 01:46 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
2020 GLE580
Why does Nappa Leather require adding expensive options

We placed our GLE 580 order 2 weeks ago and in doing so, chose the Macchiato / Magma Grey leather interior (205A) . After much reconsideration we decided to switch to the Black / Magma Grey Nappa Leather interior (958A) . I contacted our sales agent who tried to make this change and in the process said that changing to the Nappa Leather required us to select several other options which added greatly to the bottom line. We would have to choose rear side airbags and heated rear seats along with choosing between rapid heating front seats or multi comfort massage front seats or the warmth and comfort package. He did not have an explanation as to why this was necessary other than it is what comes up when attempting to make our requested change. I initially thought that the only price increase going from the standard leather in the GLE 580 to the Nappa Leather would be the $1,370 increase as stated in the Order Guide. My expected increases of $1,370 has now turned into a $4,000 increase just to add Nappa Leather to the standard leather interior in the GLE 580. Has anyone else experienced this situation. It's kind of frustrating and it leaves us with a new decision.
Old 11-22-2019, 02:27 PM

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts
2020 GLE
Originally Posted by tluke
We placed our GLE 580 order 2 weeks ago and in doing so, chose the Macchiato / Magma Grey leather interior (205A) . After much reconsideration we decided to switch to the Black / Magma Grey Nappa Leather interior (958A) . I contacted our sales agent who tried to make this change and in the process said that changing to the Nappa Leather required us to select several other options which added greatly to the bottom line. We would have to choose rear side airbags and heated rear seats along with choosing between rapid heating front seats or multi comfort massage front seats or the warmth and comfort package. He did not have an explanation as to why this was necessary other than it is what comes up when attempting to make our requested change. I initially thought that the only price increase going from the standard leather in the GLE 580 to the Nappa Leather would be the $1,370 increase as stated in the Order Guide. My expected increases of $1,370 has now turned into a $4,000 increase just to add Nappa Leather to the standard leather interior in the GLE 580. Has anyone else experienced this situation. It's kind of frustrating and it leaves us with a new decision.
A lot of car makers bundle certain options with others as a package. BMW, Porsche, and Audi do this as well. It’s just the game you have to play in order to get the options you want.
Old 11-22-2019, 04:43 PM
KJ

Received 113 Likes on 74 Posts
2020 GLE 53 AMG
That's why Mercedes slogan is "The Best or Nothing". They want to force you to get all the other options.

I'm actually surprised the 580 doesn't come with Nappa leather as standard considering the price premium.
Old 11-22-2019, 04:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 194 Likes on 167 Posts
16 E550 Cab, 2003 Ram bright red crewcab 4x4 we call Clifford :)
4k is a lot to swallow but the Nappa leather option is pretty nice... big step up from standard....
Old 11-22-2019, 04:51 PM

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts
20 GLE450, 16 C450, 15 GLK350
It would not surprise me if with a higher end option like Napa leather, Mercedes just wants to make it in one single configuration, so they other require options being bundled with it.
Old 11-22-2019, 05:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 315 Likes on 232 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
Originally Posted by tommyr
It would not surprise me if with a higher end option like Napa leather, Mercedes just wants to make it in one single configuration, so they other require options being bundled with it.
In addition, they want to protect themselves against configurations that would be hard to sell if the person who orders the car decides to walk away. So they figure that anyone willing to pay for napa leather would want a leather dash (one of the mandatory add-ons) and memory seats. Many of the configuration constraints are to protect the dealer against having difficult-to-sell cars if they wind up having them in stock.
Old 11-22-2019, 08:38 PM

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
GLE 450 / E450 Cabriolet
Exactly why every car configuration document they have is useless. Oh, you want Y then no A, F, or G option for you. My wifes E450 has leather, heated seats but heck no for a heated steering wheel.
Old 11-22-2019, 08:43 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
2020 GLE580
Thanks for all the input and commiserating. It appears as though I will be staying with the leather and not upgrading to Nappa. It's nice but not worth the total cost of the upgrade.
Old 08-26-2022, 06:57 AM

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
2023 E-Class Coupe (C238)
My expected increases of $1,370 has now turned into a $4,000 increase just to add Nappa Leather to the standard leather interior in the GLE 580. Has anyone else experienced this situation. It's kind of frustrating and it leaves us with a new decision.
I looked at the Nappa option and decided that it just wasn't worth the upgrade. No insult intended to anyone who gets MB-Tex, as I know many people like them. But I felt that a car of this level should have real leather seats, so the regular leather option was just fine for me.

Last edited by Archangel60; 08-26-2022 at 07:18 AM.