GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

New GLE 450 damaged in shipping.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-29-2019, 07:42 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GLE 450
New GLE 450 damaged in shipping.

It took a few weeks but we finally found a GLE 450 that has what we want. We initially found it on CarGurus and our local dealer arranged to get it shipped from Houston to Portand, OR. The dealer kept it a day to install a clear bra film. They called yesterday and said the bra was installed but ..... there was damage during shipment. The glass area just above the windshield looked like something had hit it or, the car was driven into something that didn't move or ???. So we took a look.

Unfortunately, I didn't take a picture of the damaged area (my bad) but here's an idea of where its damaged (its actually on the drivers side but same relative location).

The area that's damaged is glass. Does anyone know why its designed that way? There is about a 3 in diameter area that looks like shattered tempered glass with about a 1/2 inch hole going through in the middle. They say its a pretty simple fix (replace that panel) but I'm concerned about wiring, etc that might be inside.
Anyone have insight as to the design or what I should be concerned about?
Thanks,
Gary

Last edited by Gary A; 12-29-2019 at 07:44 PM.
Old 12-29-2019, 09:03 PM

Received 139 Likes on 124 Posts
2015 ML350, 2021 BMW X3, 1991 190E
If its just a glass replacement and no painting involved, I'd be OK with it, but still a little miffed that it happened to my new car. Not being familiar with the new 450, I would want to know how the dealer will be replacing the glass. Does the glass come in panels and how many panels will need to be replace.
Old 12-30-2019, 03:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,103 Likes on 808 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
"Damaged During Shipment" - well "maybe" - to me sounds like this GLE was checked in on arrival at your dealer - turned over for bra install - and you don't think this damage-on-arrival wasn't caught at either of those 2-times.

Yes - your dealer will take care of the repair at no charge - ask your dealer any questions you have - but the one question that is the most important is - "when do I get my GLE?"
Old 12-30-2019, 12:42 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GLE 450
Thanks for the responses. Yeah, the same questions came to mind --- REALLY? With all the comments I've read on these forums, lead time for parts is a real concern. They're supposed to call today with updated information. We'll see what happens.