GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

Ceramic tint with Acoustic Comfort Package

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-31-2020 | 11:32 PM

Now: Alfa Romeo Stelvio, Maserati Quattroporte (formerly Alfa Romeo Giulia and 911)
Ceramic tint with Acoustic Comfort Package

My apologies if this has already been answered, but I'm hoping someone can give me some direction on this.

I'm seriously considering getting the Acoustic Comfort Package when my dealer finally gets an allocation (GLE580). I'm interested in that option more for sound insulation than anything else.

However, I recently learned about ceramic window tint and how it reduces heat transmission. Being in West Texas, and our summers being quite hot, I'm interested in getting that tint to keep the interior a bit cooler in the summer.

In a GLE with the Acoustic Comfort Package, is adding ceramic window tint to the side, front, back and panoramic roof glass advisable, or would it increase the chances of glass breakage (maybe due to trapped heat and/or expansion)? Is the panoramic roof tempered, laminated or both?

Any help would be appreciated. Hoping for an allocation in early February...

Old 02-01-2020 | 01:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A gaggle of MB's
1. You can spec your GLS580 with your dealer now - place a deposit with the agreement you get the "next" slot. At this moment - if they don't have a pre-order already - most likely May production

2. Sure - get the "Acoustic Package" for your order - there is no reason not too - and yes, the windshield will have a great IR blockage factor

3. Sure on tint - my personal recommendation is 3M Crystalline - technically Crystalline is not "ceramic" but has the top rated IR and UV rejection - heck some even use "clear" for inside the windshield - and understand sunroof glass is "different" since it is designed as a different type of lamination than windshield or side window glass - to meet Federal sunroof glass safety standards so if it shatters (which usually happens from a impact) that the fragments will not come raining down inside the cabin.
Some installers will not tint sunroofs - some will - on sunroofs best to decide on tint after your have driving experience with the 580 to see if "clear" or what % tint my suit you best.

For 3M Crystalline - check for a 3M installer : https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-...0229310&rt=rud

Hyper Optik - and Xpel - and even the China made tint guys offer "ceramic" - buyer beware on how to know you are getting what you think you purchased
The following users liked this post:
galret (02-01-2020)