GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

Still waiting for my GLE450 ordered 6/23/19

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-11-2020, 09:16 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
AMG E43
Still waiting for my GLE450 ordered 6/23/19

I ordered a 2020 GLE450 in late June of 2019 from a dealer in Yakima, WA. It is now May of 2020 and I still don't have a car. I am certainly aware of some of the early production issues for the GLE line and now delays related to Covid19. However, this delay seems extraordinarily long. My build has most options except AIR-EBC. Any thoughts about this? Should I cancel my order and wait for a 2021 model? Does anybody know when the 2021 model will go into production? I'm not too happy about buying a SUV at the very end of the 2020 model year although I don't expect any significant changes for the 2021 model. I have never waited this long for a custom order from Mercedes. Thoughts welcome from MBWorld members.
The following users liked this post:
BigBoy11 (05-21-2020)
Old 05-11-2020, 09:39 PM

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
2017 C300 Coupe (C205)
We ordered in December 2018, and ordered another one in July 2019 when there was no update for months, and many models sat in open lots in AL.
Both cars arrived within a week in late November.

I'm sorry that an order prior to our second one hasn't been fulfilled yet, and that you're going through what we did.
I expect you're past the commitment with the dealership for delivery, so there's no harm in ordering a 2021.
As long as you don't sign another commitment, you're not obligated to either vehicle.
The dealership wants to sell cars, and they won't have a problem selling the 2020 when it comes.
And if they want your loyalty and business, they shouldn't bind you to another order commitment.
Old 05-11-2020, 09:52 PM

AMG E43
Antigeek,
Don't hate me. I worked in the tech industry . Thank you for responding to my post. I hope you are enjoying your GLE 450. I've waited so long for this car, that I suppose I will accept it whenever it arrives at the dealership. However, I find myself doubting my decision all the time. Stay healthy, be well. Thanks again for sharing your thoughts.
Old 05-11-2020, 10:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,100 Likes on 806 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
1. Cancel your "Order" - personally if you post the factory PO# I will check that for you

2. Dealer Order Bank for GLE450 on Weds - tell your Dealer you want the very 1st 2021
Old 05-12-2020, 12:22 AM

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
2017 C300 Coupe (C205)
Originally Posted by bcrounse
Antigeek,
Don't hate me. I worked in the tech industry . Thank you for responding to my post. I hope you are enjoying your GLE 450. I've waited so long for this car, that I suppose I will accept it whenever it arrives at the dealership. However, I find myself doubting my decision all the time. Stay healthy, be well. Thanks again for sharing your thoughts.
No hate here -- still in IT. More of a nerd -- the alias just works well, as I'm way more than tech (hell, I mow my own grass).
The wife loves her GLE, and we weren't stuck waiting for it: it was the only choice she wanted, so we waited...and were thankful when it arrived.
Use your doubts, and work with your salesman to see what outside-the-box options you have.
The dealership has no control over delivery, but they know the system.
Our salesman is awesome, and while he couldn't help us, he gave us great feedback on our ideas and supported our option to order again (with no penalty).

Best wishes to you as well, and I hope the nightmare ride we spent a year (minus 13 days) on ends soon.
Sucks when you want what you've set your heart on and can't get it. #firstworldproblems #thankfuleveryday
Old 05-12-2020, 12:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts
CLK320
I ordered 450 on 2018/Dec/08, reorder 53 on 2019/Aug/11. Took delivery of 53 on 2020/Fbe/28.

I feel you pain, Till today I do not understand how a company this size can be so bad at forecasting and securing part source. Whatever the reason they had. My GLE53 has many small problems also. And noisy front suspension. If you let me pick again, I would go with e53 wagon or just simply pick another brand. Not worth the troubles.
Old 05-12-2020, 12:42 AM

AMG E43
Thanks for your suggestions. I'd give you the PO# if I had it. I'm lucky if I can get any information from this dealer or my salesperson. His usual answer to any of my questions about the status of my order is "I don't know" or "I can't get any information from StarNet" or "I'll have to check with our Mercedes rep" and then I never hear back from him. The last I heard was that my car was scheduled to be built in early April. Of course, then the factory shut down due to Covid19 and I haven't heard anything since. Sometimes I wonder if they just took my $1000 deposit and never even ordered a car. So many excuses and still no car! This is a low volume dealer with no clout. I used them instead of the dealer I normally use to save some dollars on sales tax. My mistake.
Old 05-12-2020, 11:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,178 Likes on 847 Posts
2020 GLE 450; 2023 BMW M2 Coupe
Production status

Thanks for your suggestions. I'd give you the PO# if I had it. I'm lucky if I can get any information from this dealer or my salesperson. His usual answer to any of my questions about the status of my order is "I don't know" or "I can't get any information from StarNet" or "I'll have to check with our Mercedes rep" and then I never hear back from him. The last I heard was that my car was scheduled to be built in early April. Of course, then the factory shut down due to Covid19 and I haven't heard anything since. Sometimes I wonder if they just took my $1000 deposit and never even ordered a car. So many excuses and still no car! This is a low volume dealer with no clout. I used them instead of the dealer I normally use to save some dollars on sales tax. My mistake.
Huge warning signs there! If you can't even get a PO number that is very poor service. They should be able to extract a complete transaction date log from NetStar. You have been too patient. I would get your deposit back and go elsewhere. fabbrisd1 who posted above is a dealer that is a straight shooter - I would follow his advice.
BigBoy11 (05-17-2020)
Old 05-12-2020, 11:51 AM

AMG E43
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon
Huge warning signs there! If you can't even get a PO number that is very poor service. They should be able to extract a complete transaction date log from NetStar. You have been too patient. I would get your deposit back and go elsewhere. fabbrisd1 who posted above is a dealer that is a straight shooter - I would follow his advice.
Thanks for your reply. I will call and demand that information. I'd go elsewhere, but after waiting for 11 months, if I blow up this order for a custom GLE450 with the color and options I want and order again from another dealer, I'm afraid I'll be waiting for another six months. The car is for my wife. She loves her current Mercedes ML. It has been a very reliable car. I just hope the new GLE450 lives up to expectations when it finally arrives. Thanks again for weighing in.
Old 05-12-2020, 12:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Production status

Thanks for your reply. I will call and demand that information. I'd go elsewhere, but after waiting for 11 months, if I blow up this order for a custom GLE450 with the color and options I want and order again from another dealer, I'm afraid I'll be waiting for another six months. The car is for my wife. She loves her current Mercedes ML. It has been a very reliable car. I just hope the new GLE450 lives up to expectations when it finally arrives. Thanks again for weighing in.
Here is the type of information your dealer needs to provide (the log of my order). If they can't do that, you don't really have an order so there is no harm in going elsewhere.

BigBoy11 (05-17-2020)
Old 05-12-2020, 12:55 PM

AMG E43
Here is the type of information your dealer needs to provide (the log of my order). If they can't do that, you don't really have an order so there is no harm in going elsewhere.

Thank you Greg. This is very helpful. I will request this information from the dealer in Yakima. If they won't or can't provide it, I will go elsewhere even if it costs me more money. I'm so "done" with these guys. The communication has been so poor and so sporadic (even when I ask for updates). I wonder why Mercedes even allows this dealership to sell its automobiles. I've bought more than a dozen Mercedes vehicles over the years and I have never experienced such poor service from a Mercedes dealer.
Old 05-12-2020, 06:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 126 Likes on 105 Posts
2020 X7 xDrive40i, 2016 X3 sDrive28i
I feel your pain. I ordered two GLS450 in October 2019. Both were supposed to have been delivered by December 2019 but kept getting pushed back. One of them went into B4 status on 2/4/2020. Got the VIN# and got excited. It never made it out of B4 status. The 2nd one hasn't even started production yet.
I've contacted MBUSA a couple of times, they have no idea why it's being held up. Dealers also don't have any info.
Old 05-12-2020, 08:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by thenew3
I feel your pain. I ordered two GLS450 in October 2019. Both were supposed to have been delivered by December 2019 but kept getting pushed back. One of them went into B4 status on 2/4/2020. Got the VIN# and got excited. It never made it out of B4 status. The 2nd one hasn't even started production yet.
I've contacted MBUSA a couple of times, they have no idea why it's being held up. Dealers also don't have any info.
Have your dealer contact Regional Distribution; sometimes they can get some info. Likely related to parts shortages because of you know what.
Old 05-12-2020, 08:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK320
I wrote an email to the GM of the dealership group. From there on everything went smoother. He was the one secure me 3rd spot in Canada for a 53.

Old 05-12-2020, 09:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 126 Likes on 105 Posts
2020 X7 xDrive40i, 2016 X3 sDrive28i
Have your dealer contact Regional Distribution; sometimes they can get some info. Likely related to parts shortages because of you know what.
The general manager from the bigger dealer contacted Regional Distribution as well as the factory itself. Nobody can tell him why my car has been stuck in B4 status since 2/4/2020 or when it will be out of that status.
Old 05-13-2020, 09:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 781 Likes on 501 Posts
2022 Mercedes EQS 580
Thank you Greg. This is very helpful. I will request this information from the dealer in Yakima. If they won't or can't provide it, I will go elsewhere even if it costs me more money. I'm so "done" with these guys. The communication has been so poor and so sporadic (even when I ask for updates). I wonder why Mercedes even allows this dealership to sell its automobiles. I've bought more than a dozen Mercedes vehicles over the years and I have never experienced such poor service from a Mercedes dealer.
Hey I think what happened with you is that the dealer took an order for a car for which they have no allocations (and they hoped that after taking a booked order, Mercedes will assign them a production slot allocation for this car).

There are really two solutions to this problem:
1) Find another dealer (a larger dealer) with actual production slots and then you will have a confirmed delivery.
2) Send a letter to the CEO of Mercedes Benz USA and complain about the overall experience you are having and demand they provide a car given that a deposit was paid almost a year ago. This method is very effective - I have done it before in this exact same situation. Mercedes can help broker an allocation swap to get your dealer a car.
Old 05-13-2020, 09:44 AM

AMG E43
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot
Hey I think what happened with you is that the dealer took an order for a car for which they have no allocations (and they hoped that after taking a booked order, Mercedes will assign them a production slot allocation for this car).

There are really two solutions to this problem:
1) Find another dealer (a larger dealer) with actual production slots and then you will have a confirmed delivery.
2) Send a letter to the CEO of Mercedes Benz USA and complain about the overall experience you are having and demand they provide a car given that a deposit was paid almost a year ago. This method is very effective - I have done it before in this exact same situation. Mercedes can help broker an allocation swap to get your dealer a car.
Thank you so much for commenting. I think you have hit the nail on the head. I sent a strongly worded email to my dealer yesterday demanding a PO for my order and a copy of the date-log extracted from NetStar. So far, no answer from the dealer. I just think they really don't care. This is a low volume dealer in Yakima, WA. I live in the Seattle area. They offered me what I thought was a good deal (4.5 percent below MSRP) and I save about 2 percent on sales tax. I've never used this dealer before and certainly would never use them again. Do you have the name and address of the CEO of Mercedes Benz USA? Thanks again!
Old 05-13-2020, 10:34 PM

AMG E43
Yesterday, I sent an email to MBUSA customer support to see if they might be able to help me regarding status on the 2020 GLE450 I ordered last June. I also drew attention to the very poor communication I've receive from the dealer in Yakima, WA, where I placed my order (with a $1000 deposit) Almost a year later, still no car and silence from the dealer who has my money. I was hoping for some better customer service from MBUSA. Here is their response regarding my issue.

Dear Bill:
Thank you for your email to Mercedes-Benz USA.

Customer feedback is paramount to ensuring that we are providing an unsurpassed ownership experience and we appreciate your contact. Not being directly involved with the circumstances you have described, we trust you understand why we are not in the position to speculate or comment with specifics. Despite these obvious limitations, we do take your concerns very seriously, and are sorry that you have been left with a negative impression.

Since authorized Mercedes-Benz dealers are independently owned, they are responsible for their own business operations, including sales transactions. Accordingly, we have forwarded your letter to the dealerships' management team, for their review.

We thank you for the opportunity to review your concerns.
Kind Regards,

Dana B.

Obviously something is broken here. I guess Mercedes (the best or nothing) is no longer the company that earned my business decades ago, leading me to purchase more than a dozen of their vehicles over the years.
Old 05-14-2020, 07:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,030 Likes on 698 Posts
2024 GMC Canyon Denali..... 2018 Audi SQ5
Yesterday, I sent an email to MBUSA customer support to see if they might be able to help me regarding status on the 2020 GLE450 I ordered last June. I also drew attention to the very poor communication I've receive from the dealer in Yakima, WA, where I placed my order (with a $1000 deposit) Almost a year later, still no car and silence from the dealer who has my money. I was hoping for some better customer service from MBUSA. Here is their response regarding my issue.

Dear Bill:
Thank you for your email to Mercedes-Benz USA.

Customer feedback is paramount to ensuring that we are providing an unsurpassed ownership experience and we appreciate your contact. Not being directly involved with the circumstances you have described, we trust you understand why we are not in the position to speculate or comment with specifics. Despite these obvious limitations, we do take your concerns very seriously, and are sorry that you have been left with a negative impression.

Since authorized Mercedes-Benz dealers are independently owned, they are responsible for their own business operations, including sales transactions. Accordingly, we have forwarded your letter to the dealerships' management team, for their review.

We thank you for the opportunity to review your concerns.
Kind Regards,

Dana B.

Obviously something is broken here. I guess Mercedes (the best or nothing) is no longer the company that earned my business decades ago, leading me to purchase more than a dozen of their vehicles over the years.
Mercedes was just looking like they were getting things in order, sorry to hear a story like yours. Your deposit should have a delivery date to be legal in most states. An open ended deposit isn’t normal. It should also describe the vehicle probably as a 2020. Either of those should give you an out if you want to cancel and be sure that you can get your deposit back.
‘Another thing you could do is Google or Facebook/Linked In the Staff to find out the chain of command. The Mercedes Dealer is part of the Steve Hahn Auto Group...Kia & VW also. You might even get lucky and get Steve if you call the right number. At some level of Management your experience would not be acceptable.
Good Luck!
Old 05-14-2020, 07:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,030 Likes on 698 Posts
2024 GMC Canyon Denali..... 2018 Audi SQ5
I wasn’t quite done, had company. I think another possibility is that they gave your allocation to another customer. I had a GM Dealer many years ago switch my “invoice order” to another customer and moved mine to a later order. I would not have found out but they messed up the color and had already given me a print out of my order showing the right options.
Old 05-14-2020, 09:50 PM

AMG E43
Ron,

I truly appreciate your comments on my post. In fact, I really appreciate all the comments and support I've received here on MBWorld. Knowing that the factory has notified dealers about 2020 GLE450 orders they cannot fulfill, I will press my dealership to either let me know when my car will be delivered or cancel my order (expecting a return of my deposit). I believe the dealership lied to me when they said it made no difference that they are a low-volume Mercedes dealer regarding their ability to process my order. Clearly that isn't the case. Having placed my order in late June of 2019 I surely should have received a car by now. I haven't come across anyone here on MBWorld who has waited that long for a car to be delivered. I plan to track down the dealership owner and point-blank ask him to find out if I will get my order before the factory shuts down to prepare for 2021 models. Either I get the car I ordered, or I want my deposit back. I shall share the ultimate outcome here on MBWorld. Thanks again for your comments and suggestions.
Old 05-15-2020, 02:22 PM

Received 134 Likes on 76 Posts
2020 GLE450 4Matic AMG-Line
I am certain the dealership also earned interest on your $1,000 for a whole year too. You might want to seek that compensation. It can't hurt to ask them for it.
Old 05-15-2020, 02:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK320
I put down 10k CND and they offer me 1% discount of the total price every month pass 8 months of wait.
Old 05-15-2020, 02:59 PM

AMG E43
Fabbrisd1,
I finally got through to someone who could help regarding the long delayed order I placed for a 2020 GLE450 (ordered mid-June of 2019). The PO # is 0071564498. If you would be so kind, let me know what you think. Am I likely to get this car? The dealer has offered to refund my deposit and give me first right of refusal when the car arrives at their dealership. My concern now is that I am essentially buying an end-of-year model. Perhaps you could provide some guidance on what kind of "discount" would be reasonable should I still decide to purchase this car? I know there will be significant depreciation the minute I drive it off the lot, even more so as an end of year model. Thank you again for your advice to date and any further help you might offer.
Old 05-15-2020, 03:03 PM

AMG E43
Tery, thanks for your comment. I did arrange to get my deposit back and first right of refusal if the car gets delivered to the dealer. I'm not too worried about collecting $10 to $20 interest on my deposit. If I get the car, fine. If not, I'll move on and at least I won't have to argue with them to get back my deposit.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Still waiting for my GLE450 ordered 6/23/19